Old July 1st 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Antennas

Was at a field day thing this past weekend. I wasn't there when they
set everything up. There were 3 antennas in use. One very clearly
was a Yagi. One of the others very clearly was a "vertical" and the
other one was like a wire running the length of the parking lot and
was up about as high as the building - then it had a middle wire
running in to the shack with the radio. I was told that was a
horizontal antenna. Isn't there more specific names for vertical and
horizontal antennas than just vertical and horizontal??

Thanks.
Old July 1st 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
" wrote:

Was at a field day thing this past weekend. I wasn't there when they
set everything up. There were 3 antennas in use. One very clearly
was a Yagi. One of the others very clearly was a "vertical" and the
other one was like a wire running the length of the parking lot and
was up about as high as the building - then it had a middle wire
running in to the shack with the radio. I was told that was a
horizontal antenna. Isn't there more specific names for vertical and
horizontal antennas than just vertical and horizontal??

The terms vertical and horizontal refer to the polarization of the
electric field the antenna operates on not the type. A Yagi antenna can
be vertically or horizontally polarized for example.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 1st 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default SWL Newbies : Some Antenna Basics from Marconi to Hertz to Yagi . . .

On Jun 30, 6:59*pm, "
wrote:
Was at a field day thing this past weekend. *I wasn't there when they
set everything up.

- *There were 3 antennas in use.

Basic Antenna Models
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna...antenna_models

The Basic Antenna
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com...nna-basics.htm

Overview of Antennas
http://www.ess.washington.edu/Space/...nnalecture.pdf

-*One very clearly was a Yagi.
http://www.jpo.go.jp/seido_e/rekishi...tsugu_yagi.htm
http://www.tpub.com/neets/book10/NTX4-32.GIF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagi_Antenna

- One of the others very clearly was a "vertical"

The Vertical over a Ground -aka- Marconi Antenna
http://www.midnightscience.com/_xtal/00000210.htm
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com...nna-basics.htm
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/radio/chap20.htm

- and the other one was like a wire running the
- length of the parking lot and was up about as
- high as the building - then it had a middle wire
- running in to the shack with the radio. *I was
- told that was a horizontal antenna.

Dipole Antenna, developed by Heinrich Rudolph Hertz
http://www.hfradio.ca/images/AntennaRadiate.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_Antenna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz_antenna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz_a...netic_research

Half-Wave Dipole Antenna
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com...nna-basics.htm
http://www.electronics-radio.com/art...ave-dipole.gif

-*Isn't there more specific names for vertical and
- horizontal antennas than just vertical and horizontal??
-
- Thanks.

Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Newbies :
Some Antenna Basics from Marconi to Hertz to Yagi . . .

shortwave radio listening (swl) where the word 'antenna'
means more than 'pole' in italian - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
Old July 2nd 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 30, 9:06*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
Was at a field day thing this past weekend. *I wasn't there when they
set everything up. *There were 3 antennas in use. *One very clearly
was a Yagi. *One of the others very clearly was a "vertical" and the
other one was like a wire running the length of the parking lot and
was up about as high as the building - then it had a middle wire
running in to the shack with the radio. *I was told that was a
horizontal antenna. *Isn't there more specific names for vertical and
horizontal antennas than just vertical and horizontal??

The terms vertical and horizontal refer to the polarization of the
electric field the antenna operates on not the type. A Yagi antenna can
be vertically or horizontally polarized for example.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Thanks - actually I was wondering if one of them might have been a
beverage antenna because it was really long - but then the feed point
was in the middle so I guess not. Thanks for the info - I appreciate
it.

Old July 2nd 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 1, 10:27*am, RHF wrote:
On Jun 30, 6:59*pm, "
wrote:

Was at a field day thing this past weekend. *I wasn't there when they
set everything up.

- *There were 3 antennas in use.

Basic Antenna Modelshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_%28radio%29#Basic_antenna_models

The Basic Antennahttp://www.electronics-tutorials.com/antennas/antenna-basics.htm

Overview of Antennashttp://www.ess.washington.edu/Space/ESS205/antennalecture.pdf

-*One very clearly was a Yagi.http://www.jpo.go.jp/seido_e/rekishi...i/Yagi_Antenna

- One of the others very clearly was a "vertical"

The Vertical over a Ground -aka- Marconi Antennahttp://www.midnightscience..com/_xtal/00000210.htmhttp://www.electronics-tutorials.com/antennas/antenna-basics.htmhttp://www.hnsa.org/doc/radio/chap20.htm

Dipole Antenna, developed by Heinrich Rudolph Hertzhttp://www.hfradio.ca/images/AntennaRadiate.jpghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_Antennahttp://en..wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz_antennahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz_antenna#Electromagnetic_research

Half-Wave Dipole Antennahttp://www.electronics-tutorials.com/antennas/antenna-basics.htmhttp://www.electronics-radio.com/articles/radio/antennas/dipole/half-...

-*Isn't there more specific names for vertical and
- horizontal antennas than just vertical and horizontal??
-
- Thanks.

Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Newbies :
Some Antenna Basics from Marconi to Hertz to Yagi . . .

shortwave radio listening (swl) where the word 'antenna'
means more than 'pole' in italian - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
*.
Are You Interested in building a better Shortwave Listening*
(SWL) Antenna ? {SWL Group} =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
*.
RHF's Standard "Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) Antennas Group"
Reference Message Signature-Line =http://tinyurl.com/25zbrghttp://grou...1dac3b4a1798e0
*.
* Remember 55.5% of Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
is the Shortwave Antenna =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
*.
RHF's Radio Shack in Twain Harte, California -USA-
SHACK INFO =http://tinyurl.com/2skmxm
Shortwave Radio / Receiver and SWL Antenna Info
*.
-=2SKMXM=-
-=25ZBRG=-
SWR3:SWL:INFO
*.

Thanks. Looking all these sites up over the weekend. Great list.!!
Old July 2nd 08, 10:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Somethings about the Beverage Antenna

On Jul 1, 7:28*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:06*pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

it.- Hide quoted text -

Beverage Antenna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage_antenna

Beverage Antenna Construction
http://www.w8ji.com/beverages.htm

Beverage Antenna Tips -by- N1EU
http://n1eu.com/topband/BeverageTips.htm

The Beverage Antenna -by- Hardcore DX .Com
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...age/index.html

The Beverage Antenna Memorandum [FCC Report]
http://www.ae5d.com/bev/

Beverages On the Ground [BOG] -by- Shawn Axelrod
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/bevant.html
Old July 3rd 08, 10:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The Beverage Antenna -by- Hardcore DX .Comhttp://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/beverage/index.html

The Beverage Antenna Memorandum [FCC Report]http://www.ae5d.com/bev/

Beverages On the Ground [BOG] -by- Shawn Axelrodhttp://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/bevant.html

I love beverage antenna's when you can get one out, but today's
overdeveloped areas make it hard to find a place. Much is written
about beverage antenna's, books and books in fact going into great
technicality. But here in South Africa we just throw out a bit of wire
and get great results.

My pal Gary in Cape Town just runs out 220m/700 ft of wire called a
BOG, beverage on the ground, just on his suburban road outside his
house, or at best he goes down to the local sportsfield and runs it
out there. He gets amazing results from this.

Of course the purists will tell you that the beverage has to be dead
straight, terminated into a resistor and supported about 1.2m/5ft off
the ground, but in years of playing with these antenna's we have got
great results with a not too perfect layout and no termination.

Give it a try and have fun - you will be well rewarded with some super
catches.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
Old July 3rd 08, 10:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

On Jul 2, 11:32 am, RHF wrote:
[...]

The termination at the far end only solves the problem of the antenna being bi-directional, that is of course
receiving signal from both the direction the wire is running (and, off the back end where it is fed).

Did have a place accessible to me at one time where we had 6 permanent Beverage antennas set up, all terminated. A
very nice place to DX, but always a lot of repair work on the wires as they ran through a wooded area.

Old July 3rd 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 3, 11:43*am, dxAce wrote:
The termination at the far end only solves the problem of the antenna being bi-directional, that is of course
receiving signal from both the direction the wire is running (and, off the back end where it is fed).

Did have a place accessible to me at one time where we had 6 permanent Beverage antennas set up, all terminated. A
very nice place to DX, but always a lot of repair work on the wires as they ran through a wooded area.

We don't terminate here for two reasons:
1. the ground here is too dry and you can't get a proper earth
2. We actually like the open end in both directions as one end you get
Aussie and the other end N. America. Like a double whammy.

So you can DX Aussie at sunset/evening and N. America mornings/
sunrise. Makes the DXpeditions quite worthwhile.

Wow! a six beverage site = sheer DX heaven!

Ya, that's a problem with long beverages - people and animals walking
all over them and pulling them down. Another problem here is the high
price of copper will see your wire stolen from right under your nose
while you are busy DXing these days in mwaAfrika.

JP

Pictures of your antennas in the Antennas in the World directory oli Antenna 0 June 25th 07 10:01 AM
WTB 80/40 Mor-gain or Antennas West PM Antennas David Thompson Antenna 0 November 3rd 06 09:38 PM
Antennas [email protected] Shortwave 0 February 24th 06 04:48 PM
So, you think you know all about antennas!! Okay, what is this?... Richard Antenna 9 February 15th 04 11:38 PM
rf antennas erdem Antenna 14 February 9th 04 12:29 AM