Old July 6th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Ballast or grapple hook?

In article , says...

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
Billy Burpelson wrote:

N9NEO wrote:
I'm in the middle of putting up a longwire antenna. One end is going
up in a tree in my back yard and the other end is going into one of my
neighbors trees. I think it's going to be about 150' long Should I
use a counter weight at my neighbor's end or try and fashion some sort
of grappling hook out of coat hanger and get it tangled up in the
tree?

Neither. The "grappling hook" is waaay too marginal to depend on and
even an expensive marine block ('pulley') will eventually stop operating
without maintenance, to say nothing of somebody getting beaned by the
weights.

I would recommend a screen door spring at each place you fasten to a
tree. Go to a hardware store and find the biggest, beefiest screen door
springs that you can and then give them several coats of paint for rust
prevention.

I've been using this method for a 140 foot dipole (made from 14 gauge
insulated wire) attached to a pine tree at one end and a Norway maple at
the other end; its been up continuously since 1996.

tree - screw eye (or hook) - rope - spring - rope - end insulator
- antenna wire

You left out the last part of the setup.

His tree - screw eye (or hook) - rope - spring - rope - end
insulator - antenna wire - neighbors tree - insulator - rope -
hanging weight - LAWSUIT

Don't forget that last part.

That's why I don't use a weight. When I did the rope broke and the
antenna came down.

--
BDK

kOOk Magnet!
NJJ CLUB #1
Shillmaster
Old July 6th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
BDK wrote:

In article , says...

"Telamon" wrote in message
..
.
In article ,
Billy Burpelson wrote:

N9NEO wrote:
[...]

The last part is a LAWSUIT from using his neighbors tree. That should
bring the antenna down.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 6th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 5, 10:02*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

*BDK wrote:
In article , says...

"Telamon" wrote in message
t..
.
In article ,
*Billy Burpelson wrote:

N9NEO wrote:
[...]

Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Yea, lawsuit, what the heck was I thinking. A three pound weight
could fall down and hurt somebody. I'm going for the grappling hook.

thanks,
NEO
Old July 6th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article telamon_spamshield-F23F49.19022305072008
@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com,
lid says...
In article ,
BDK wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Telamon" wrote in message
..
.
In article ,
Billy Burpelson wrote:

N9NEO wrote:
[...]

I get along great with my neighbors, so using one of their trees
wouldn't be a problem.

My dog goes over to my neighbor's house, goes inside through the doggy
door, goes upstairs and gets into bed with them, and smootches up the
wife! They think it's funny. Two of their dogs like my dog, one hates
him, but he's decided it's better to leave him alone than fight with him
again..

--
BDK

kOOk Magnet!
NJJ CLUB #1
Shillmaster

ballast tubes Ralph Cameron Boatanchors 0 April 21st 05 01:50 AM
Hook up [email protected] Antenna 8 February 17th 05 09:01 PM
SX73 ballast info wanted geowulf Boatanchors 2 August 16th 04 09:01 PM
FS: ballast Harvey Axlerod Swap 0 March 19th 04 09:12 PM
Where does the AT-100 hook to ?? Browning Mark FourA Shortwave 0 August 10th 03 01:19 AM