Old July 8th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default XM Satellite Radio 59 Minutes of Music an Hour . . .

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:34:01 -0700, RHF wrote:

While listening to the XM Satellite Radio Channel 78
http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelpage.xmc?ch=78 "Escape" with 59
Minutes of Music an Hour then I suddenly heard the Emergency Alert
System Message [FCC/FEMA] http://www.xmradio.com/help/faqs/about.xmc

Emergency Alert System Message [FCC/FEMA]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System

EAS is a joke. You're much better off with a NOAA Alert Receiver and a
scanner.
Old July 8th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dave wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:34:01 -0700, RHF wrote:

While listening to the XM Satellite Radio Channel 78
http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelpage.xmc?ch=78 "Escape" with 59
Minutes of Music an Hour then I suddenly heard the Emergency Alert
System Message [FCC/FEMA] http://www.xmradio.com/help/faqs/about.xmc

Emergency Alert System Message [FCC/FEMA]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System

EAS is a joke. You're much better off with a NOAA Alert Receiver and a
scanner.

I prefer to scan the skys waiting to see the burst and the mushroom cloud!

If I'm gonna go, I want to see the fireworks.

Old July 9th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:11:21 -0400, dxAce wrote:

I prefer to scan the skys waiting to see the burst and the mushroom
cloud!

If I'm gonna go, I want to see the fireworks.

If you see the flash, you'll be blind and will miss the cloud.

Old July 9th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 8, 5:04*pm, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:11:21 -0400, dxAce wrote:

- - I prefer to scan the skys waiting to see the burst
- - and the mushroom cloud!
- - If I'm gonna go, I want to see the fireworks.

- If you see the flash, you'll be blind and will miss the cloud.

From a 'distance' DX Ace could possibly see the Flash
over Chicago or Milwaukee and the Mushroom Cloud.
The Air Blast and Tsunami might get him though . . . ~ RHF
http://www.3ammagazine.com/magazine/...b_effects.html

Old July 9th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:

On Jul 8, 5:04 pm, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:11:21 -0400, dxAce wrote:

- - I prefer to scan the skys waiting to see the burst
- - and the mushroom cloud!
- - If I'm gonna go, I want to see the fireworks.

- If you see the flash, you'll be blind and will miss the cloud.

From a 'distance' DX Ace could possibly see the Flash
over Chicago or Milwaukee and the Mushroom Cloud.
The Air Blast and Tsunami might get him though . . . ~ RHF
http://www.3ammagazine.com/magazine/...b_effects.html

Not certain if there is enough water in Lake Michigan to cause a tsunami or not,
but, if I were to go to the lakeshore on a clear night, the lights, or at least
the light up in the sky from Chicago and Milwaukee is clearly visible.

And at times, or so I've heard, there can be a kind of 'mirage' where Chicago
itself is 'visible' in the sky.

Old July 9th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 9, 8:21*am, dxAce wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Jul 8, 5:04 pm, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:11:21 -0400, dxAce wrote:

- - I prefer to scan the skys waiting to see the burst
- - and the mushroom cloud!
- - If I'm gonna go, I want to see the fireworks.

- If you see the flash, you'll be blind and will miss the cloud.

From a 'distance' DX Ace could possibly see the Flash
http://www.3ammagazine.com/magazine/...clear_bomb_eff...

Not certain if there is enough water in Lake Michigan to cause a tsunami or not,
but, if I were to go to the lakeshore on a clear night, the lights, or at least
the light up in the sky from Chicago and Milwaukee is clearly visible.

- And at times, or so I've heard, there can be a kind
- of 'mirage' where Chicago itself is 'visible' in the sky.

Fata Morgana (Mirage) {Castles in the Sky}
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fata_Morgana_%28mirage%29