Old July 17th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Catch of the winter season in South Africa

My top DX pal Gary Deacon has been at it again and got the following
on his FRG7:

Greetings everyone,

I just got an e mail report along with audio from Gary Deacon. He
heard
KGED 1680 Fresno CA with 1 KW. The first report for the station from
South Africa. What a fine piece of DX Work Gary. Bravo. You will be
getting a QSL letter going out tomorrow. Fantastic!

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager

An awesome MW catch over 10,000miles/16,000 km's away from the DX
cottage near Cape Point in the Table Mountain National Park.

Interesting path over South America, Haiti then Abiline TX and Las
Vegas and then over Rockies to Fresno.

Here this morning I have been scanning the various bands, but nothing
worthwhile is coming in over the mountains to my little village in the
valley.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old July 17th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

Not bad John, but pretty much a clear channel right? I might be more interested
in TA/TP dx if I was in a better location, but for the most part that type of
stuff is non-existent here.

Awesome catch into SA though! It is your dx season right?

Myself I'm ready to chuck the warm weather and get back to dx.

Old July 17th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 17, 6:41*am, dxAce wrote:
Not bad John, but pretty much a clear channel right? I might be more interested
in TA/TP dx if I was in a better location, but for the most part that type of
stuff is non-existent here.

Awesome catch into SA though! It is your dx season right?

Myself I'm ready to chuck the warm weather and get back to dx.

Yes Ace, the X band is clear here, so it's a question of having good
propagation and a decent beverage antenna and the luck of the God's.
It is winter here and top of our DX season, although for me here in
the mounains it has not been very good this season.

The cottage Gary DXed from is near the sea, so the wonderful "sea
gain" effect could be experienced. That is why a seaside location is
so important for good MW DX.

As for our miserable winter, I would trade it for summer anytime,
forgetting that the temp in Jan/Feb goes to 105F and you long for
winter!!! Also forgetting that winter goes down to 32F and it can be
cold and miserable with rain.

JP
Old July 17th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

On Jul 17, 6:41 am, dxAce wrote:
[...]

If winter here only went down to 32F and just rain I'd be a happy camper!

Move south Dude, way south. Move to South America

I'm only 15 north.

Stays around 85-90 most of the time.

Burr

You up, I'll call. it's 1230z I'll check back in 10 minutes

Old July 17th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Burr wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

On Jul 17, 6:41 am, dxAce wrote:
[...]

South America? Who do you think I am, 'Eduardo'?

I'm only 15 north.

Stays around 85-90 most of the time.

Burr

You up, I'll call. it's 1230z I'll check back in 10 minutes

Yep, give me a call, going off line.

South Africa On Now SW4ever Shortwave 1 November 7th 07 09:20 AM
DXpedition in South Africa John Plimmer Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 12:42 AM
South Africa! Alun L. Palmer Policy 216 March 18th 05 11:19 AM
Winter B-04 schedule for LJB Voice of Africa Mike Terry Shortwave 0 October 9th 04 05:51 PM
Thailand and South Africa Maximus Shortwave 4 January 20th 04 01:53 AM