Old August 10th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

How many daytimers were allowed to go to 24 hour operation in the 70s and
80s? One example is WJJD which started wiping out KSL's very listenable
nighttime signal in Chicago during that time period.

Frank Dresser

Old August 10th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Frank Dresser wrote:

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

How many daytimers were allowed to go to 24 hour operation in the 70s and
80s? One example is WJJD which started wiping out KSL's very listenable
nighttime signal in Chicago during that time period.

Yep, and one of my very few MW QSL's is from KSL.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old August 10th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dave" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
I can't imagine any of them saying anything different, because we all
live by the same metrics and information and sales realities.
You live in a reality of your own making.

It's the reality of our entire industry.

The "reality" of your "industry" is that when you try to run it like a
factory you ruin the product. You make crap because you have no idea what
you're doing. You forget the intangibles and let the number crunchers
pick the songs. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

Huh? In markets like LA, the one you are in, all the significant stations
let the listeners pick the music. And there is an incredible amount of
talent on the air, doing spontaneous, live and entertaining radio.

Old August 10th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

How many daytimers were allowed to go to 24 hour operation in the 70s and
80s? One example is WJJD which started wiping out KSL's very listenable
nighttime signal in Chicago during that time period.

The clears were broken down by the FCC in the 70's, and along with that came
the new rules on protection that allowed quite a few stations to add or
improve night service.

I'd also question if the listenership to KSL in Chicago was over 12 people
anyway. Remember, JJD signed off at sunset in SLC, which was in summer late
at night in Chicago. Since overall radio listening, since the 50's, has
mostly been 6 AM to 7 PM, who would possibly be listening at that hour to
KSL?

In general, my statement stands. The band is only minutely different today
from what it was in 1978.

Old August 10th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

Frank Dresser wrote:

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

How many daytimers were allowed to go to 24 hour operation in the 70s and
80s? One example is WJJD which started wiping out KSL's very listenable
nighttime signal in Chicago during that time period.

Yep, and one of my very few MW QSL's is from KSL.

That's a real achievement.

Old August 10th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

How often is the Utah 890 station off? And when did they start
broadcasting
at night?

For most of its early years in the 80's they were off at night always. And,
like any smaller market station, they go off for maintenance and WLS is an
easy catch from the SW then.

The changes that have taken place are all about the overall noise levels,
not with the stations themselves.

It's my recollection that a number of stations started night time
broadcasting on the "clear channel" frequencies around 1980 or so. But,
hey, I could be wrong. Nevertheless, in 1968 or 1958 or whatever, the
clear
channels really were clear channels.

Most, if I recall correctly, were granted in the mid to late 70's and went
on as soon as possible I can see that most had a license by 1980 and many,
like Grand Junction, much earlier. Since all were directional, we can assume
periods of up to several years between CP and license as the directionals
are proofed and proven stable.

Old August 10th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 9, 10:53�pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"KaitoWRX911" wrote in message

The clear channels don't generally cover much that is not covered by
dozens
of FMs in and around each market the 25 original 1 A clears today. At
night,
the AM channels have so much interference that they don't cover much that
is
not covered by FMs, too. And in any case, night radio listening is very
low... about 10% of all radio listening. So saying people are dependent on
the clear channel stations when, in fact, there is scant listening to
stations outside their metro areas, is exaggeration. There is some, but it
is almost statistically insignificant today.

Almost 50% of radio listening is done in cars - almost zero at home.

The truth is that in-car averages about 30%, with the low being around 24%
in New York City and the highs in long-commute markets like LA where it is
around 32%. At work and in home account for a bit over a third each.

Bridge Ratings Industry Study : In-Car Media Use
Wednesday,, February 7, 2007
Cell Phones, MP3 Players, Video Impacting Radio Listening!

http://www.bridgeratings.com/press_0...ia%20incar.htm

Ha! Ha! Radio is dying!

Bust a move! [email protected] Policy 0 October 26th 05 01:47 AM
How do you move boatanchors around? Ed Boatanchors 17 July 20th 05 02:28 AM
Help - must move w3cqh Digital 0 November 30th 04 08:03 PM
Help - must move w3cqh Digital 0 November 30th 04 08:03 PM
FCC Provides Spectrum to allow AMT move from 1.7 GHz. R J Carpenter Broadcasting 0 October 31st 04 03:24 AM