Old August 11th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

How many daytimers were allowed to go to 24 hour operation in the 70s

and
80s? One example is WJJD which started wiping out KSL's very listenable
nighttime signal in Chicago during that time period.

The clears were broken down by the FCC in the 70's, and along with that

came
the new rules on protection that allowed quite a few stations to add or
improve night service.

Ah, the 70s. Quite a few did add to co channel interference back then.
That's just how I remember it.

I'd also question if the listenership to KSL in Chicago was over 12 people
anyway. Remember, JJD signed off at sunset in SLC, which was in summer

late
at night in Chicago. Since overall radio listening, since the 50's, has
mostly been 6 AM to 7 PM, who would possibly be listening at that hour to
KSL?

Some, not many. I'd be surprised if any were considering products from the
Salt Lake City advertisers.

In general, my statement stands. The band is only minutely different today
from what it was in 1978.

So, It's just a semantic debate on the significance of words like "quite a
few" and "minutely".

Frank Dresser

Old August 11th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message
Some, not many. I'd be surprised if any were considering products from
the
Salt Lake City advertisers.

I always wanted to buy a sound system from Standard Audio "Where quality is
a tradition".

Old August 11th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 11, 4:37*am, Drifter wrote:
dxAce wrote:

D Peter Maus wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:

* *But none breaking new ground. Far be it from me to agree with Rickets,
but he makes the same point I do. Breaking new ground, taking risks is not
even on the radar, today. So, what the listeners pick is what they hear,
what sounds familiar, and with very few exceptions, what they've come to
expect from contemporary music. More of the same. Different names.
Different performers. Same clothes, same sounds, same haircuts.
Interchangeably, more of the same.
Most stations that play....
* *Yada, yada, yada....

* *You make my point for me....you speak only out of your books.
What's good for you.

* *And you address nothing.

That's our 'Eduardo'!

- Morning Ace. NOT my eduardo, i treat him like RHF, into
- the "bit bucket". ya-know, now that i think of it; they
- both act like know-it-all, irritant, argumentative, and
- arrogant. could be the same person.
-
- Drifter...

Drifter - That's Very Arbitron of You !

considering that you must be over the age of 50
and thus do not count ~ RHF

-ps- your mind exist beyond the 10vm/m contour
and thus what you think does not matter.
Old August 12th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Asking people to buy yet another radio to listen to narrowcast content
will probably not fly on 76-88 Mhz unless"

Isn't HD asking people to do the same thing? Buy another radio to hear
narrowcast content... more of the same..
Old August 13th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

But none breaking new ground. Far be it from me to agree with Rickets,
but he makes the same point I do. Breaking new ground, taking risks is not
even on the radar, today. So, what the listeners pick is what they hear,
what sounds familiar, and with very few exceptions, what they've come to
expect from contemporary music. More of the same. Different names.
Different performers. Same clothes, same sounds, same haircuts.
Interchangeably, more of the same.

Most stations that play currents add new songs with a certain regularity.
These are always songs listeners have never heard, since promo copies, even
with the internet, get to radio before anyone else.

I don't like music formats of any kind. Short playlists are only good
one time. When I hear that list start over I change stations or turn it
off. After years of doing this I got sick of hearing the same damn thing
over and over again so I don't bother anymore and listen to CD's if I
want to hear music.

I don't know what drives the insanity you spout here but clearly the
people that make these decisions have pointy hair that look like horns.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old August 13th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:

[...]

I'm not so sure that what's driving SiriusXM subscriptions, other
than Howard Stern's noise, is a desire to get something fresh. Most of
the music channels are programmed in the same way as terrestrial radio,
sometimes by the very people who ****ed up radio in the first place. But
there are channels that are counterintuitively programmed. And those can
be refreshing. VERY long playlists, well mixed, and with music that just
isn't heard on the radio. I listen to XM's Fine Tuning channel for hours
at a time, often day after day, when I get into the mood, and never hear
a repeat. And always music that's more interesting than anything that's
on the air, today. There are other channels with deep playlists, you
just have to search for them.

And there are alternatives to the talk stations. Hell, if Rush were
on XM, I'd have no reason to have my tuners, anymore.

Interesting coincidence....WBEZ, here..the public station has
overhauled their weekend lineup. I used to turn on WBEZ and carry it
through till midnight on weekends. They still have Car Talk, but they've
gotten rid of Michael Feldman's Whaddayaknow, and moved This American
Life to after Prairie Home Companion. Filling the time between 10a and
5p, with shows that are less than interesting.

At the same time XM had picked up most of the shows I used to enjoy
on WBEZ nearly in the same order with the same time slots. Guess where
my attention went.

XM has since made some changes in the lineup, so I still have to hunt
for something after 3 till PHC, but it's not as dramatic a change as WBEZ.

I find that I listen to terrestrial radio less as time moves on. No
big surprise. Terrestrial radio stopped serving me years ago.

I suspect that you're in the same boat: Short of patience with
programming for idiots, and long enough on experience to want more from
your media than cash cow, commodity programming.

After all, that's what's driven many of us into shortwave listening.

Old August 13th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 12, 10:19*pm, Telamon
wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:

[...]

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...HairedBoss.jpg

The Attack of the Demoncrats
http://countrystore.blogspot.com/images/mad_howard.jpg

--
Telamon
Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Old August 14th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
D Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:

[...]

I have always liked radio and trying to find interesting programming is
one reason I listen to short wave.

My brother is an XM subscriber and has it in several vehicles and at
home. I've listened to a few channels and some of them seemed pretty
good. I think I managed to tune in the BBC for a bit at one time. All in
all I found XM to be mildly interesting.

I consider the FM band to be a total loss these days with the exception
of the NPR stations that have the programs you mentioned along with the
classical music. The last commercial classical station went dark some
time ago. That was very disappointing. There were only two of them, one
in LA and the other in Santa Barbara. The one in SB was taken over by
NPR and it still has classical music. The station in LA started playing
music from Hades.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old August 14th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

I consider the FM band to be a total loss these days with the exception
of the NPR stations that have the programs you mentioned along with the
classical music. The last commercial classical station went dark some
time ago. That was very disappointing. There were only two of them, one
in LA and the other in Santa Barbara. The one in SB was taken over by
NPR and it still has classical music. The station in LA started playing
music from Hades.

Country is music from Hades? It's terrible to be sure, but why insult
the Devil?
Old August 14th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dave wrote:

Country is music from Hades? It's terrible to be sure, but why insult
the Devil?

He deserves it. The last cloud of brimstone stench that covered
Washington was said to contain a barely audible, completely drunk, Hank
Williams Jr. playing Rap to a two four beat. An even four dozen
politicians swore off drugs, mistresses and page boys. It was such a
frightening experience that they actually kept their promises for a week.

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

Densa International©
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'

Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
I block all postings with a Gmail, Google Mail,
Google Groups or HOTMAIL address.
I also filter everything from a .cn server.

http://improve-usenet.org/

Bust a move! [email protected] Policy 0 October 26th 05 01:47 AM
How do you move boatanchors around? Ed Boatanchors 17 July 20th 05 02:28 AM
Help - must move w3cqh Digital 0 November 30th 04 08:03 PM
Help - must move w3cqh Digital 0 November 30th 04 08:03 PM
FCC Provides Spectrum to allow AMT move from 1.7 GHz. R J Carpenter Broadcasting 0 October 31st 04 03:24 AM