RadioBanter

-   -   Move Am's to channels 5&6? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/135584-move-ams-channels-5-6-a.html)

[email protected] August 6th 08 11:46 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

It’s a dramatic idea that would change infrastructure reaching back to the
very roots of our industry. A group made up primarily of broadcast
consulting engineers proposes a new use for TV Channels 5 and 6 in the
United States once their occupants migrate to digital. It recommends the
reallocation of part of that spectrum for the use of the country’s AM
stations. The group, calling itself the Broadcast Maximization Committee,
recommends the conversion and migration of all AM stations over an extended
period of time and with digital transmissions only. It also proposes
relocating the LPFM service to a portion of this spectrum and expanding the
NCE service into the adjacent portion. The group made its proposal in a
filing to the FCC as part of the broadcast diversity proceeding (Docket
07-294). Comments in that proceeding were due this week. Other
organizations also have used the proceeding to discuss how the radio
spectrum should be structured; but these comments are likely to draw new
attention to the plight of AM stations and possible ways to help the
occupants of the senior band. Engineering Consultant John Mullaney, a
proponent of using Channels 5 and 6 for radio, is part of BMC. Noting that
similar proposals to use that space for radio stations have been dismissed
by the commission as premature until the DTV transmission is done, the
group says the time is ripe for this proposal. Although LPFMs and NCE
stations would benefit, AMs would gain the most, the group contends. The
proposal would move virtually all AM stations to the new band. The
engineers lay out a plan under which all or most of the current AM
occupants would move and parts of the existing band would be designated for
users like municipalities and LPAM stations. “For clear-channel (Class A)
AM stations we are proposing that the FCC will increase existing
protections on the AM band and possibly re-allocate the Class As that stay
in such a way that they will have enough protection from other AM stations
so that they can operate HD Radio day and night without creating
interference,” BMC member Bert Goldman told Radio World. “This reduction
in AM noise will allow the remaining Class A stations to increase their
daytime and nighttime interference-free service by removing all other AM
stations.” Each channel is anticipated to be structured in such a way that
the station may decide if they want greater robustness of signal (and
greater coverage like in rural locations) or less robustness and up to four
program channels. BMC is not proposing a digital standard at this time.
BMC has also proposed a way to move the estimated 24 post-transition DTV
stations out of Channels 5 and 6. The proposal is signed by Mullaney,
Goldman, Mark Lipp, Paul H. Reynolds, Joseph Davis, Clarence Beverage,
Laura Mizrahi, Lee Reynolds and Alex Walsh.

Nuts and Bolts of BMC’s AM Migration Plan
8.01.2008
Here are the nuts and bolts of the Broadcast Maximization Committee’s
proposal http://www.radioworld.com/pages/s.0100/t.14794.html to use old
TV spectrum for a migration of AM stations. Under the BMC plan, AMs could
transition to the Channel 5/6 spectrum (100 channels 77.0 to 86.9 MHz) and
operate in the digital mode. In this way, AMs “can solve the current
digital problems they are experiencing, especially at night,” the group
states in its proposal. BMC is proposing to: Extend the FM band to
include frequencies 76.1 to 87.7 MHz FM Expanded Band (EXB) with a 100 kHz
channel spacing, creating 117 new channels. The first eight channels (87.0
to 87.7 MHz) would be reserved NCE channels since they are contiguous to
the current NCE band. The next 100 channels (77.0 to 86.9 MHz) would be
used to migrate AM stations to the proposed FM new EXB band channels, where
they would operate in digital mode. One channel on 76.9 MHz would be set
aside for NOAA DHS use nationwide. The last eight channels (76.1 to 76.8
MHz) would be for LPFM use. The vacated AM band (540 to 1700 kHz) would
open up for multiple uses, including improved AM broadcast service or other
use. While the policies, standards and priorities for an AM migration would
need to be developed, BMC has offered a technical plan to show that its
proposal is possible and to encourage further discussions. “Above all, AM
stations can become competitive, financially viable and immediately have
some hope for better days.”

m II August 7th 08 12:00 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

wrote:

It’s a dramatic idea that would change infrastructure reaching back to the
very roots of our industry. A group made up primarily of broadcast
consulting engineers proposes a new use for TV Channels 5 and 6 in the
United States once their occupants migrate to digital. It recommends the
reallocation of part of that spectrum for the use of the country’s AM
stations.

Looks like a sleazy way to be able to charge people for what they now
get for nothing. There's no other explanation. Why don't they move the
interference causing IBOC station up there instead of the normal AM
operations? This thing isn't designed to save AM. If it's true that
there isn't an audience now, why should being forced to buy a new radio
solve the problem? Once everything is digital, the subscriber card
needed to make it all work is with us.

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

Densa International©
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'

Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
I block all postings with a Gmail, Google Mail,
Google Groups or HOTMAIL address.
I also filter everything from a .cn server.

http://improve-usenet.org/

RHF August 7th 08 04:09 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

On Aug 6, 4:47*pm, wrote:

- Seems like a crazy Idea.
- The first thing that struck me was new radio's
- would have to be purchased for the plan to be effective.

HINT - All those 'new' Radios would be IBOC Certified
and all the 'new' Expanded FM Band Broadcasters
would be Digital "Only".

behind every plan is an evil scheme ~ RHF

Dave[_18_] August 7th 08 01:05 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

m II wrote:
wrote:

[...]

What about places where FM doesn't work? AM radio is all we got.

Brenda Ann August 7th 08 01:37 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Dave" wrote in message
m II wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Not to mention that the VHF TV channels are NOT going away when analog goes
dark next February. Those with analog channels on VHF and DTV on UHF will,
for the most part, move their DTV to their VHF channels when analog goes
dark.

Brenda Ann August 7th 08 01:39 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
m II wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Oh, also, the bandplan bytes... channels are too close together at 100 KHz,
especially for LPFM's which are required by law to maintain a minimum 600
KHz spacing.

m II August 7th 08 03:39 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

Dave wrote:

What about places where FM doesn't work? AM radio is all we got.

I should have been clearer in my posting. If they move anything out of
the AM band, it should be only the IBOC noise makers. All the normal AM
stations stay exactly where they are.

In my own case, I listen to more AM than FM. I can't help but think that
moving the whole of the AM band to another venue will be nothing more
than a money grab, with pay as you go subscription cards.

mike
--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

Frank Dresser August 7th 08 04:19 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

wrote in message
Seems like a crazy Idea. The first thing that struck me was new radio's
would have to be purchased for the plan to be effective. But in the mean
time what would people do? The Am band is struggling as is and because of
the Internet and more new competitive devices Fm radio is in danger too.

Yeah, crazy idea is right. Lots of radio stations can't draw an audience
now even though everybody already has a radio. These guys want to fix it by
starting up a new radio band.

I can't wait until this concept is applied to retailing. Struggling stores
try to save the business by moving to the new mall out in the middle of the
desert.

I guess the government would issue a coupon or something to help ease the
financial pain of buying new radios.
And the old ones could be sold on E-bay. LOL

Let's not forget government coupons for all the batteries the digital
portables will eat.

The unused band would be great for low power, and college radio operators.
The more I think about this the more I like it.. We might have some
interesting content on the radio again.. LOL

If Big Radio is already doomed on AM, what difference will the proposed
bandplan make?

Frank Dresser

Art Harris August 7th 08 09:06 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

wrote:
A group made up primarily of broadcast
*consulting engineers proposes a new use for TV Channels 5 and 6 in the
*United States once their occupants migrate to digital. It recommends the
*reallocation of part of that spectrum for the use of the country’s AM
*stations. *

Many rural areas of the country are dependent on 50kw clear channel AM
stations for basic news and entertainment. 75MHz AM stations aren't
going to cut it.

Art

RHF August 7th 08 09:49 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

On Aug 7, 1:06*pm, Art Harris wrote:
wrote:
*A group made up primarily of broadcast
*consulting engineers proposes a new use for TV Channels 5 and 6 in the
*United States once their occupants migrate to digital. It recommends the
*reallocation of part of that spectrum for the use of the country’s AM
*stations. *

- Many rural areas of the country are dependent on 50kw
- clear channel AM stations for basic news and entertainment.
- 75MHz AM stations aren't going to cut it.
- Art

Local 100 Watt Repeaters

RHF August 7th 08 09:53 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

On Aug 7, 7:39*am, m II wrote:
Dave wrote:
What about places where FM doesn't work? *AM radio is all we got.

I should have been clearer in my posting. If they move anything out of
the AM band, it should be only the IBOC noise makers. All the normal AM
stations stay exactly where they are.

In my own case, I listen to more AM than FM. I can't help but think that
moving the whole of the AM band to another venue will be nothing more
than a money grab, with pay as you go subscription cards.

mike
--

The AM/MW Radio Band in the USA needs to have the
number of Radio Stations reduced by Half to 2/3rds or

Move the excess AM/MW Radio Stations to an expanded
FM Radio Band that is All Digital.

~ RHF

[email protected] August 9th 08 11:15 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

On Aug 6, 3:46*pm, wrote:
[...]

I think the problem here is AM radio, as it exists today, would make
no sense relocated to VHF.

The benefits of medium wave AM radio:
1. Daytime coverage: Ground wave propagation exists down here. A
reasonably powerful AM station can cover a much broader geographic
area during the daytime than a VHF FM station.
2. Nighttime coverage: Skywave allows relatively strong regional
coverage.
3. Cheapness. An AM radio can be very cheap.

Moving an AM station to VHF would eliminate ALL of the above
advantages. It would simultaneously address AM's worst disadvantage:
medium fidelity sound at BEST, and serious nighttime interference
making reception pointless, at worst.

But my take is, AM has already adapted into niches where high fidelity
and absolutely quiet no-interference reception is not required or
expected.

The bottom line: if AM stations would benefit from moving up to VHF,
they would have probably moved to the FM band a long time ago.
There's a reason they're on AM (niche/limited appeal programming,
mostly).

Asking people to buy yet another radio to listen to narrowcast content
will probably not fly on 76-88 Mhz unless the radios are CHEAP and the
content is FREE. Otherwise, it's just another XM/Sirius deal but
delivered terrestrial, and that would probably flop.

[email protected] August 9th 08 11:36 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

On Aug 7, 1:53*pm, RHF wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:39*am, m II wrote:

Dave wrote:
What about places where FM doesn't work? *AM radio is all we got.

I should have been clearer in my posting. If they move anything out of
the AM band, it should be only the IBOC noise makers. All the normal AM
stations stay exactly where they are.

In my own case, I listen to more AM than FM. I can't help but think that
moving the whole of the AM band to another venue will be nothing more
than a money grab, with pay as you go subscription cards.

mike
--

The AM/MW Radio Band in the USA needs to have the
number of Radio Stations reduced by Half to 2/3rds or
even down to 1/4th.

Move the excess AM/MW Radio Stations to an expanded
FM Radio Band that is All Digital.

~ RHF
*

I think everyone would agree that medium wave is badly overcrowded,
especially if you listen to the jumbled mess you can often hear at
night.

However, given the MASSIVE duplication of programming content on AM
radio -- especially at night when you can't swing a dead cat without
hearing "Coast to Coast AM" on about a zillion different stations, but
even during the daytime with syndicated shows being found on multiple
places on the dial almost anywhere you go, why not just get rid of the
excess stations?

If a station doesn't carry some minimum of locally-produced content,
why not just cancel their license? It's hard to argue that being the
third or fourth station in a market to carry Sean Hannity or Doctor
Laura is in the public interest in any significant way. It's just
wasting spectrum. If the stations can't come up with their own
content, they should go dark and leave room for stations that can.

Problem solved. And better programming results when the remaining
stations serve their communities.

Simple!

Drifter August 9th 08 05:44 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

wrote:
On Aug 7, 1:53 pm, RHF wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:39 am, m II wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't say overcrowded, it more conditions. 30 years ago, night-
time was all about the clears, and most local were low power at night.

However, given the MASSIVE duplication of programming content on AM
radio -- especially at night when you can't swing a dead cat without
hearing "Coast to Coast AM" on about a zillion different stations, but
even during the daytime with syndicated shows being found on multiple
places on the dial almost anywhere you go, why not just get rid of the
excess stations?

Duplication is the main trouble today. the only difference with the
locals is news and sponsor spots. my fav local is a little 5Kw daylight
and 500w night. it can be a bit hard to pull in, but programing is
about 80% local. mom and pop style station.

If a station doesn't carry some minimum of locally-produced content,
why not just cancel their license? It's hard to argue that being the
third or fourth station in a market to carry Sean Hannity or Doctor
Laura is in the public interest in any significant way. It's just
wasting spectrum. If the stations can't come up with their own
content, they should go dark and leave room for stations that can.

you right and i'm all for that. i get so tired of the hate and lies
on talk radio.

Problem solved. And better programming results when the remaining
stations serve their communities.

Simple!

Drifter...

m II August 9th 08 06:23 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

Drifter wrote:

you right and i'm all for that. i get so tired of the hate and lies
on talk radio.

And it comes from both sides of the political scene. The Hosts on those
shows are just entertainers. It is in their own interest to get the
audience worked up. If that takes mis-representation or sensationalism
to do, that is what they do. It's junk information.

Talk radio is to Truth as Pro wrestling is to Sport.

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

Telamon August 9th 08 11:28 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

In article
,
wrote:

On Aug 6, 3:46*pm, wrote:
*It¹s a dramatic idea that would change infrastructure reaching back to the
*very roots of our industry. *A group made up primarily of broadcast
*consulting engineers proposes a new use for TV Channels 5 and 6 in the
*United States once their occupants migrate to digital. It recommends the
*reallocation of part of that spectrum for the use of the country¹s AM
[...]
*users like municipalities and LPAM stations. *³For clear-channel (Class A)
*AM stations we are proposing that the FCC will increase existing
*protections on the AM band and possibly re-allocate the Class As that stay
*in such a way that they will have enough protection from other AM stations
*so that they can operate HD Radio day and night without creating
*interference,² BMC member Bert Goldman told Radio World. *³This reduction
*in AM noise will allow the remaining Class A stations to increase their
*daytime and nighttime interference-free service by removing all other AM
*stations.² *Each channel is anticipated to be structured in such a way that
*the station may decide if they want greater robustness of signal (and
*greater coverage like in rural locations) or less robustness and up to four
*program channels. BMC is not proposing a digital standard at this time.
*BMC has also proposed a way to move the estimated 24 post-transition DTV
*stations out of Channels 5 and 6. *The proposal is signed by Mullaney,
*Goldman, Mark Lipp, Paul H. Reynolds, Joseph Davis, Clarence Beverage,
*Laura Mizrahi, Lee Reynolds and Alex Walsh. * *

Nuts and Bolts of BMC¹s AM Migration Plan
8.01.2008
*Here are the nuts and bolts of the Broadcast Maximization Committee¹s
*proposal http://www.radioworld.com/pages/s.0100/t.14794.html to use old
*TV spectrum for a migration of AM stations. *Under the BMC plan, AMs could
*transition to the Channel 5/6 spectrum (100 channels 77.0 to 86.9 MHz) and
*operate in the digital mode. In this way, AMs ³can solve the current
*digital problems they are experiencing, especially at night,² the group
[...]
*proposal is possible and to encourage further discussions. * ³Above all, AM
*stations can become competitive, financially viable and immediately have
*some hope for better days.² * * * * *

I think the problem here is AM radio, as it exists today, would make
no sense relocated to VHF.

SNIP

Yes but since you are a clueless retard no one cares what you think.
Just what makes you think that some randomly generated thought you
happen to have is so valuable that it needed to be posted here.

Freaking moron.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon August 9th 08 11:29 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

In article
,
wrote:

On Aug 7, 1:53*pm, RHF wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:39*am, m II wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

that you are an idiot.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David Eduardo[_4_] August 10th 08 12:14 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Drifter" wrote in message

I wouldn't say overcrowded, it more conditions. 30 years ago, night-
time was all about the clears, and most local were low power at night.

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

David Eduardo[_4_] August 10th 08 12:25 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Art Harris" wrote in message
A group made up primarily of broadcast
consulting engineers proposes a new use for TV Channels 5 and 6 in the
United States once their occupants migrate to digital. It recommends the
reallocation of part of that spectrum for the use of the country’s AM
stations.

Many rural areas of the country are dependent on 50kw clear channel AM
stations for basic news and entertainment. 75MHz AM stations aren't
going to cut it.

The clear channels don't generally cover much that is not covered by dozens
of FMs in and around each market the 25 original 1 A clears today. At night,
the AM channels have so much interference that they don't cover much that is
not covered by FMs, too. And in any case, night radio listening is very
low... about 10% of all radio listening. So saying people are dependent on
the clear channel stations when, in fact, there is scant listening to
stations outside their metro areas, is exaggeration. There is some, but it
is almost statistically insignificant today.

Telamon August 10th 08 12:31 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Art Harris" wrote in message
[...]

You are so full of it Eduardo.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David Eduardo[_4_] August 10th 08 12:44 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Art Harris" wrote in message
[...]

I invite you to talk to any group manager in radio. I can't imagine any of
them saying anything different, because we all live by the same metrics and
information and sales realities.

KaitoWRX911 August 10th 08 02:21 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

On Aug 9, 7:14�pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Drifter" wrote in message

I wouldn't say overcrowded, it more conditions. 30 years ago, night-
time was all about the clears, and most local were low power at night.

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

Same problem with IBOC - the FCC could mandate the radios into cars,
but no one buys radios, anymore - moving the AMs would antiquate
hundreds-of-millions old analog radios, and no one would notice, or
care. Radio is dying, no mattter what is done - stocks are in the
****ter, layoffs are everywhere, and stations are being sold for
fractions of original prices. Terrestrial radio is dying, and nothing
will stop the bleeding.

KaitoWRX911 August 10th 08 02:22 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

On Aug 9, 7:25*pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

[...]

Almost 50% of radio listening is done in cars - almost zero at home.

Telamon August 10th 08 03:53 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Art Harris" wrote in message
[...]

I invite you to buy a radio and listen to it.

I can't imagine any of them saying anything different, because we all
live by the same metrics and information and sales realities.

You live in a reality of your own making.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David Eduardo[_4_] August 10th 08 03:53 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"KaitoWRX911" wrote in message

The clear channels don't generally cover much that is not covered by
dozens
of FMs in and around each market the 25 original 1 A clears today. At
night,
the AM channels have so much interference that they don't cover much that
is
not covered by FMs, too. And in any case, night radio listening is very
low... about 10% of all radio listening. So saying people are dependent on
the clear channel stations when, in fact, there is scant listening to
stations outside their metro areas, is exaggeration. There is some, but it
is almost statistically insignificant today.

Almost 50% of radio listening is done in cars - almost zero at home.

The truth is that in-car averages about 30%, with the low being around 24%
in New York City and the highs in long-commute markets like LA where it is
around 32%. At work and in home account for a bit over a third each.

Dave[_18_] August 10th 08 04:05 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

David Eduardo wrote:
"Drifter" wrote in message

I wouldn't say overcrowded, it more conditions. 30 years ago, night-
time was all about the clears, and most local were low power at night.

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

30 years ago you could hear WLS in Los Angeles.

David Eduardo[_4_] August 10th 08 04:08 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Telamon" wrote in message

I can't imagine any of them saying anything different, because we all
live by the same metrics and information and sales realities.

You live in a reality of your own making.

It's the reality of our entire industry.

David Eduardo[_4_] August 10th 08 05:48 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Dave" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
"Drifter" wrote in message

I wouldn't say overcrowded, it more conditions. 30 years ago, night-
time was all about the clears, and most local were low power at night.

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

30 years ago you could hear WLS in Los Angeles.

You still can when the UT station is off.

The changes that have taken place are all about the overall noise levels,
not with the stations themselves.

Telamon August 10th 08 08:48 AM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

I can't imagine any of them saying anything different, because we all
live by the same metrics and information and sales realities.

You live in a reality of your own making.

It's the reality of our entire industry.

No, it the reality of your imagined industry.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Dave[_18_] August 10th 08 01:40 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
I can't imagine any of them saying anything different, because we all
live by the same metrics and information and sales realities.

You live in a reality of your own making.

It's the reality of our entire industry.

The "reality" of your "industry" is that when you try to run it like a
factory you ruin the product. You make crap because you have no idea
what you're doing. You forget the intangibles and let the number
crunchers pick the songs. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

Dave[_18_] August 10th 08 01:40 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

David Eduardo wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
"Drifter" wrote in message

I wouldn't say overcrowded, it more conditions. 30 years ago, night-
time was all about the clears, and most local were low power at night.
There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

30 years ago you could hear WLS in Los Angeles.

You still can when the UT station is off.

The changes that have taken place are all about the overall noise levels,
not with the stations themselves.

And who dropped the ball when the noise levels were creeping up?

Frank Dresser August 10th 08 02:37 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

How many daytimers were allowed to go to 24 hour operation in the 70s and
80s? One example is WJJD which started wiping out KSL's very listenable
nighttime signal in Chicago during that time period.

Frank Dresser

dxAce August 10th 08 02:49 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

Frank Dresser wrote:

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

How many daytimers were allowed to go to 24 hour operation in the 70s and
80s? One example is WJJD which started wiping out KSL's very listenable
nighttime signal in Chicago during that time period.

Yep, and one of my very few MW QSL's is from KSL.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Frank Dresser August 10th 08 02:55 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Dave" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
"Drifter" wrote in message

I wouldn't say overcrowded, it more conditions. 30 years ago, night-
time was all about the clears, and most local were low power at night.

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

30 years ago you could hear WLS in Los Angeles.

You still can when the UT station is off.

How often is the Utah 890 station off? And when did they start broadcasting
at night?

The changes that have taken place are all about the overall noise levels,
not with the stations themselves.

It's my recollection that a number of stations started night time
broadcasting on the "clear channel" frequencies around 1980 or so. But,
hey, I could be wrong. Nevertheless, in 1968 or 1958 or whatever, the clear
channels really were clear channels.

Frank Dresser

David Eduardo[_4_] August 10th 08 05:07 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Dave" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
I can't imagine any of them saying anything different, because we all
live by the same metrics and information and sales realities.
You live in a reality of your own making.

It's the reality of our entire industry.

The "reality" of your "industry" is that when you try to run it like a
factory you ruin the product. You make crap because you have no idea what
you're doing. You forget the intangibles and let the number crunchers
pick the songs. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

Huh? In markets like LA, the one you are in, all the significant stations
let the listeners pick the music. And there is an incredible amount of
talent on the air, doing spontaneous, live and entertaining radio.

David Eduardo[_4_] August 10th 08 05:08 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Dave" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
"Drifter" wrote in message

I wouldn't say overcrowded, it more conditions. 30 years ago, night-
time was all about the clears, and most local were low power at night.
There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.
30 years ago you could hear WLS in Los Angeles.

You still can when the UT station is off.

The changes that have taken place are all about the overall noise levels,
not with the stations themselves.

And who dropped the ball when the noise levels were creeping up?

The FCC has been underfunded for this type of thing for decades.

David Eduardo[_4_] August 10th 08 05:12 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

How many daytimers were allowed to go to 24 hour operation in the 70s and
80s? One example is WJJD which started wiping out KSL's very listenable
nighttime signal in Chicago during that time period.

The clears were broken down by the FCC in the 70's, and along with that came
the new rules on protection that allowed quite a few stations to add or
improve night service.

I'd also question if the listenership to KSL in Chicago was over 12 people
anyway. Remember, JJD signed off at sunset in SLC, which was in summer late
at night in Chicago. Since overall radio listening, since the 50's, has
mostly been 6 AM to 7 PM, who would possibly be listening at that hour to
KSL?

In general, my statement stands. The band is only minutely different today
from what it was in 1978.

David Eduardo[_4_] August 10th 08 05:12 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"dxAce" wrote in message

Frank Dresser wrote:

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

How many daytimers were allowed to go to 24 hour operation in the 70s and
80s? One example is WJJD which started wiping out KSL's very listenable
nighttime signal in Chicago during that time period.

Yep, and one of my very few MW QSL's is from KSL.

That's a real achievement.

David Eduardo[_4_] August 10th 08 05:25 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

How often is the Utah 890 station off? And when did they start
broadcasting
at night?

For most of its early years in the 80's they were off at night always. And,
like any smaller market station, they go off for maintenance and WLS is an
easy catch from the SW then.

The changes that have taken place are all about the overall noise levels,
not with the stations themselves.

It's my recollection that a number of stations started night time
broadcasting on the "clear channel" frequencies around 1980 or so. But,
hey, I could be wrong. Nevertheless, in 1968 or 1958 or whatever, the
clear
channels really were clear channels.

Most, if I recall correctly, were granted in the mid to late 70's and went
on as soon as possible I can see that most had a license by 1980 and many,
like Grand Junction, much earlier. Since all were directional, we can assume
periods of up to several years between CP and license as the directionals
are proofed and proven stable.

KaitoWRX911 August 10th 08 06:06 PM

Move Am's to channels 5&6?

On Aug 9, 10:53�pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
[...]

Bridge Ratings Industry Study : In-Car Media Use
Wednesday,, February 7, 2007
Cell Phones, MP3 Players, Video Impacting Radio Listening!

http://www.bridgeratings.com/press_0...ia%20incar.htm

Ha! Ha! Radio is dying!