Old August 28th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The very best radio's

Receiver test data 080828 from
S = Sherwood http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
P = Passport to World Band Radio
Q = ARRL QST mag http://www.remeeus.eu/hamradio/pa1hr/productreview.htm

2/5 KHZ DYNAMIC RANGE NARROW SPACED

dB
102Q/101S Elecraft K3 (with 200 Hz roofing filter)
100P/85S Icom IC-R9500 (100P is at 5 khz and 85S is at 2 khz
spacing)
96S Flexradio SDR 5000
95Q Icom IC-7700
93Q Flexradio SDR-1000
86Q/80S Icom R7800
82S AOR7030
78S Icom R781
78Q/75S Icom IC-R756 PRO III
77Q/75S Icom 756 PRO II
77P Drake R8A/B
77S NRD 515
75S Drake R7
75S WJ-1000
74P WJ-8711
71S Icom 756 PRO
71S Drake R8
68S/66P NRD545
67S Icom R75
67S Drake SW8
64S Yaesu 7700 (similar to FRG7)
63S Yaesu FT2000
62S Icom R70/R71
55P Eton E1 portable
46S Ten Tec 340
43P WinRadio 313i

What does "dynamic range narrow spaced" mean as a spec? It means when
you are DXing with signals close up to your target you will hear it
better and with more clarity, enabling you to make that crucial ID
that otherwise might not be possible.

If you are just a listener with a portable trying to clarify major
international broadcasters on the SW band, then a radio like the Eton
E1 will do you very well. Indeed, veteran DXer John Bryant proved this
on his amazing DXpedition to Easter Island: see
http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/easter_island_2007.dx

However, if you are a listener and DXer on the MW band and the LF/LW
band then things get a lot tougher and it is useful to have a radio
with better specs.
On MW band this is because you are working the splits between the
American 10 kHz separation and the rest of the world's 9 kHz
separation. So, for instance you may be, like me in Africa, trying to
work 1520 kHz WWKB Buffallo N.Y. when Saudi Arabia is pounding in on
1521 kHz. That is when the radio's with the top specs make the
difference.

Chasing LF NDB beacons on LF, a great part of the hobby, also requires
a radio with good specs, as there are hundreds of beacons, many of
them right on top of each other.

I own an Icom IC-7700 and the results working this fine radio are awe
inspiring - the clarity of the received DX is just wonderful and the
filters are so precise it is like a surgeons knife cutting through
butter. You can clearly hear the advantages of the 7700 over my older
756Pro3 on this audio clip:

But getting rare DX is not all about owning the best radio available,
as my DX pal Gary Deacon's results attest. Your position and location
at a good DX site are very important as is having a good antenna. See
Gary's remarkable results on only a Yaesu FRG-7 (Frog) and his Icom
R71 at:
http://www.capedx.blogspot.com

Recently more and more of my MW DX pals have moved to SDR computer
radio's, the latest favourite being the Perseus. The claim to fame of
these radio's is not their top specs, but rather there ability to
record large swathes of the band for later analysis. This is vitally
important because most MW station ID's come in around the TOH top of
hour. So, even with a fine radio like my 7700 you can only record one
or two ID's at best over TOH. But a Perseus SDR records 800 kHz of
spectrum and the result is that it can yield many more crucial ID's
that you cannot get with a conventional radio.

Have fun and good DX

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
Old August 28th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:38:17 UTC, wrote:

[...]

John,
So nice to actually see a post on SW/MW radio on this forum! The spam
posts from some members are overwhelming. I always enjoy your helpful
and interesting posts. All that great MW DX makes me wish I could go
on a DXepedition too!
Bob

Old March 5th 14, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Flexradio SDR-1000 is my favorite Radio. Thank you for sharing this list. You also visit http://www.pushbuttonproductions.com/services/radio-ads
Old March 6th 14, 03:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

God save us from people who think that Sherwood is providing us with a list of "the best radios". Sherwood himself has done about everything he can to dispel this idea, but apparently to no avail.
Old March 6th 14, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/05/2014 05:57 AM, John Smith wrote:
Flexradio SDR-1000 is my favorite Radio. Thank you for sharing this list. You also visit http://www.pushbuttonproductions.com/services/radio-ads

Does it work on Linux?

Old March 6th 14, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/06/2014 07:04 AM, Steve wrote:
God save us from people who think that Sherwood is providing us with a list of "the best radios". Sherwood himself has done about everything he can to dispel this idea, but apparently to no avail.

Robert uses what kind of radio?
Old March 6th 14, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:23:40 AM UTC-5, dave wrote:
On 03/06/2014 07:04 AM, Steve wrote:

God save us from people who think that Sherwood is providing us with a list of "the best radios". Sherwood himself has done about everything he can to dispel this idea, but apparently to no avail.

Robert uses what kind of radio?

The one that glows in the dark !
Old March 6th 14, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014, Steve wrote:

God save us from people who think that Sherwood is providing us with a
list of "the best radios". Sherwood himself has done about everything he
can to dispel this idea, but apparently to no avail.

So someone digs up an old thread via google in order to spam (using the
bug at google that allows replies to posts older than 30 days), confusing
things by not quoting what he's replying to.

And then that causes those old threads to "rise to the top" at google,
where other people don't look at the date and think it's acceptable to
reply to old messages, yet they are actually replying to the first message
as if it was posted yesterday. Chances are good if I went to google, all
of this was hashed out at the time, but people feel a need to add their
2cents worth all this time later.

And to make matters worse, they don't even quote what they are replying to
either, so the rest of us, google is not usenet, haven't a clue what you
are talking about.

Dont' reply to old messages. And if you really have that need, at least
quote some of the message you are replying to, to give context.

Michael

Old March 6th 14, 08:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:23:40 AM UTC-5, dave wrote:
On 03/06/2014 07:04 AM, Steve wrote:

God save us from people who think that Sherwood is providing us with a list of "the best radios". Sherwood himself has done about everything he can to dispel this idea, but apparently to no avail.

Robert uses what kind of radio?

Why are you asking me this? Why would I know this?
Old March 6th 14, 08:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I looked him up. He uses a number of different rigs, some old, some new, which I guess is just to be expected for someone's who's a radio nut. Not sure how this is relevant to the thread, but there it is.

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:06:40 PM UTC-5, Steve wrote:
On Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:23:40 AM UTC-5, dave wrote:

On 03/06/2014 07:04 AM, Steve wrote:

God save us from people who think that Sherwood is providing us with a list of "the best radios". Sherwood himself has done about everything he can to dispel this idea, but apparently to no avail.

Robert uses what kind of radio?

Why are you asking me this? Why would I know this?

Sangean ATS-909 Radio's SSB -versus- Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio's... HF propagation Shortwave 0 May 2nd 08 10:31 PM
how are these radio's voyager2007 Shortwave 6 July 14th 07 01:53 PM
radio's for sale/plus Jerry Swap 0 September 6th 04 12:20 PM
Radio's name??? [email protected] General 2 October 26th 03 12:10 AM
Radio's name??? [email protected] General 0 October 25th 03 05:57 AM