Old September 3rd 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio St. Helena Day 08.

Drifter wrote:

[snip]

the flash-sheet has been good the last few weeks. i never thought
about the HTML. your right. BTW, did you submit your name for
that list the club was sending to the station for missing qsl's?
of all people, i figured you would have been in the first mailing.

I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception report and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been sent.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 3rd 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Drifter wrote:

[snip]

the flash-sheet has been good the last few weeks. i never thought
about the HTML. your right. BTW, did you submit your name for
that list the club was sending to the station for missing qsl's?
of all people, i figured you would have been in the first mailing.

I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception report and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been sent.

After an email exchange, Laura Lawrence, current Station Mgr. (who leaves the post on Friday) has
told m that she'll be sending me the QSL (verie, for those in Glendale)

She did indicate that for some reason, a lot of reports from the USA seem to have gotten lost in
the post.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 3rd 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Drifter wrote:

[snip]

the flash-sheet has been good the last few weeks. i never thought
about the HTML. your right. BTW, did you submit your name for
that list the club was sending to the station for missing qsl's?
of all people, i figured you would have been in the first mailing.

I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception report and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been sent.

After an email exchange, Laura Lawrence, current Station Mgr. (who leaves the post on Friday) has
told m that she'll be sending me the QSL (verie, for those in Glendale)

She did indicate that for some reason, a lot of reports from the USA seem to have gotten lost in
the post.

Just got another email from Laura stating that the card will be out next week on the RMS St. Helena.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 3rd 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Drifter wrote:

[...]

great. i just saw the post Rich put up about her leaving.
i think i'll send another check to the station. can't wait
to catch them again. how's conditions out you way today?
can't get squat here in w. pa. today. i'm in the middle
of moving one of the long wires in a more southern direction.
see if i can't pull a little more Latin in here.

Drifter...

Old September 3rd 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Drifter wrote:

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Drifter wrote:

[...]

I haven't listened since this morning. Got some small thunderstorms moving through the area.

I'm currently listening to Rush on WLS, getting my daily dose of 'hate'. ;-)

Old September 3rd 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception report
and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been sent.

You are such a moron.

"Verie" has been the term for MW verification in North America since the
EKKO stamp went out of use. While MW DXers will understand the "QSL" term,
we tend to apply it, if at all, to preprinted QSL cards that are reminiscent
of SW cards.

If you look at the 50 Radex magazines from the 20's, 30's and early 40's at
www.americanradiohistroy.com, you will see countless references to "veries"
in the magazines... including the spoof columnist "Count deVeries."

If you have access to old issues of DX News or the IRCA Monitor, you will
see the "Verie Signers" columns as well as achievement tabulations based on
"veries" received. And you will see plenty of NRC "Musings of the Members"
that refer to "veries" of which some were also QSL cards.

The "thing" you will receive from St. Helena is a QSL. Were it for an MW
transmission, it is a verie.

Old September 3rd 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception report
and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been sent.

You are such a moron.

You are such a fraud, 'Eduardo'. Now go pretend to own something, boy.

Old September 3rd 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception
report
and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been sent.

You are such a moron.

You are such a fraud, 'Eduardo'. Now go pretend to own something, boy.

So, you are saying that MW DXers do not call their verifications of
reception "veries" despite overwhelming evidence from all quarters that we
do?

You are pretty sick. Eating those Lampry eels out of Lake Michigan again?

Old September 3rd 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception
report
and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been sent.

You are such a moron.

You are such a fraud, 'Eduardo'. Now go pretend to own something, boy.

So, you are saying that MW DXers do not call their verifications of
reception "veries" despite overwhelming evidence from all quarters that we
do?

What I'm saying is that you are such a fraud, 'Eduardo'. Please, try to follow
along, boy.

Old September 3rd 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception
report
and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been sent.

You are such a moron.

You are such a fraud, 'Eduardo'. Now go pretend to own something, boy.

So, you are saying that MW DXers do not call their verifications of
reception "veries" despite overwhelming evidence from all quarters that we
do?

What he's saying is, though there is standardized terminology
used at any given point for very given circumstance, there are those
who morph one term into another application at will in casual
conversation among peers.

This is not medicine. A high level of specificity is not required
for communication of the point.

BCDXers use the term verie. Hams use the term QSL. My grandfather
did the same thing.

It's like my use of the term ADI. You don't like it. It's no
longer used in the business. Fine. It's no longer used officially.

But in casual conversations with my broadcast colleagues, (as
during lunch with Kipper, Thursday, it expressed an area of specific
dimensions, and commercial implications that current terminology
expresses with other parameters and in a more verbally cumbersome
way. He understood what I was saying. I understood what I was
saying. Two Ringwraiths speaking Orc.

Who cares.

Some here have bristled, here, at the use of the term
'kilocycles' or 'megacycles.' The correct contemprorary useage is
'kilohertz' or 'megahertz.' But experienced types, with a few 9
tower arrays under their belts may easily slip into a useage that's
archaic.

So what?

It's no different than you slipping into Spanish during an
English conversation with your Hispanic colleagues.

Or my college professor friend (since high school) slipping into
Middle English to make a point in a casual conversation among his
contemporaries. We all understand him. But no one is damned pedantic
that we need to correct him. And this is a group of college professors.

Yes, 'verie' refers to MW broadcasts among BCDXers. Got it. Ham
Q-code is a different language.

Lighten up.

Radio St. Helena dxAce Shortwave 3 October 11th 07 02:02 AM
Radio St. Helena dxAce Shortwave 9 November 6th 06 04:50 PM
Radio St. Helena Day - Nov. 4 dxAce Shortwave 9 November 6th 06 12:17 AM
Radio St. Helena Lisa Simpson Shortwave 5 November 4th 06 11:54 PM
Radio St. Helena dxAce Shortwave 0 November 4th 06 11:37 PM