Old September 4th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Broadcasters speak out against HD Radio

"YOUR COMMENTS AND CONFESSIONS"

"As of late August 2008: over 200 broadcast professionals, engineers,
consultants and attorneys have joined the Stop IBOC Alliance through
this website. Some submitting 'confessions' include part-owners, a
major-market chief engineer (Top 5 market 50kw signal), engineers with
stations owned by HD alliance members, contract engineers with decades
of experience who are responsible for multiple AM & FM installations,
etc.) One of the oft-repeated lies about IBOC is to the effect of
'there have been no complaints', or 'there have been few complaints of
note'. This line frequently repeated by those self-interested few
promoters of HD-AM attempts to marginalize anyone who dares to speak
out about what is arguably the biggest engineering debacle in the
history of radio broadcasting. What follows is a small sampling of
throughout the US and the rest of the world. They make for telling
reading."

http://www.stopiboc.com/yourcomments.html

"WJR has dropped IBOC!!"

"A couple of my station are running IBOC, and with what we paid to
Ibiquity for the 'right' to use their technology, plus what we spent
on the new equipment and what we spent in time and money making the AM
directional array IBOC compatible, it would be throwing away lots of
money to just turn it off. As much as I hate doing it, I also run IBOC
at night. When Ibiquity was checking markets, they called me and asked
why I wasn't running it at night. Our contract says blah, blah
blah,... So, it runs at night. Believe me, if I could go back and do
it all over again, I never would have bought into it in the first
place. However, the damage is done. If Ibiquity read this and got my
true identity, they would probably sue over my comments. They are THAT
petty. I am already forbidden against saying anything negative to the
press about it. Why oh why did we sign that??......"

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...ic.php?t=91159

"No HD for Ford in 2009"

"It also adds to my growing fears that while it 'seemed like a good
idea at the time' spending $250,000 to upgrade our signal to HD was a
HUGE waste of time and money. Sure, we did some much needed upgrading
of our transmitter site, beefed up the infrastructure and wiring, but
I think we could have done it for less than a 1/4 mil. It would be
less than kind to suggest that we're being taken for a ride on this,
but with virtually no interest from consumers and no support from
industry leaders, it sure feels that way."

H(D)appy New Year
Joe Vincenza
WUWF Public Media, Pensacola

http://tinyurl.com/63tlvw