Old September 6th 08, 07:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default MW DX'ing

On Sep 6, 5:24*am, "Michael" wrote:
Havent seen conditions for MW this good in a long time. *WBT 1110 in
Charlotte NC & WTAM in Cleveland are usually good here, but tonight they
sound like locals. * 760 WJR in Detroit is amazingly clear and regular just
so long as you use SSB. *For the first time, I'm hearing 870 WWL in New
Orleans. *I can copy it with LSB only. Very sloppy but I got the station ID
above the clutter. *That is a first for me.

Michael

North NJ
R75
Inverted L

Nice work Michael.
MW DXing is great fun when conditions are running = goog luck!
Conditions here at 0200z were poor and I could only get the usual
France Info Nice on 1557 kHz and Saudi Arabia on 1521. The French
Island of Mayotte was coming in nicely on 1458 and R Free Africa from
Tanzania on 1377.

All my MW DXing is done in ECSS/SSB mode, usually with a 3 kHz filter
for best fidelity and recognition of ID's.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
Old September 6th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
On Sep 6, 5:24 am, "Michael" wrote:
[...]

I always use ECSS to sift for any DX. I like my R75 for that very much,
but, the R75 is not a good MW rig. I'd like to try a Drake R7 for that.

Michael

Old September 6th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael wrote:
wrote in message
On Sep 6, 5:24 am, "Michael" wrote:
[...]

My totally unmodified R75 gets stations on every MW channel.
Old September 6th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 6, 4:56*pm, "Michael" wrote:

I always use ECSS to sift for any DX. * I like my R75 for that very much,
but, the R75 is not a good MW rig. *I'd like to try a Drake R7 for that..

Michael-

Actually some of the world's top MW DXer's use R75's, but they have
removed the factory attenuation on MW.

Why don't you send your R75 to Craig at Kiwa to supe it up?

JP
Old September 6th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
On Sep 6, 4:56 pm, "Michael" wrote:

I always use ECSS to sift for any DX. I like my R75 for that very much,
but, the R75 is not a good MW rig. I'd like to try a Drake R7 for that.

Michael-

Actually some of the world's top MW DXer's use R75's, but they have
removed the factory attenuation on MW.

Why don't you send your R75 to Craig at Kiwa to supe it up?

JP

Hiya... Kiwa already made quick work of my R75 five years ago. I have the
synch mod and audio mod. I didn't want to do any of the filter swaps or the
attenuation mod. I'm happy with it as is. I don't know why people would
like the R75 for MW DX. I think it is great for sw DX'ing. I actually
prefer it over the R8 series for that. I can also get it to sound as good as
just about any other radio in AM mode to listen to broadcast. When I want
quality audio I use a line in to my PC. I have a full software
mixer/processor along with a premium sound card and speakers. Between the PC
set up and features on the R75, I can make just about any signal sound
great. Still.. I think the R75 is too noisy down low for MW. It helped a
lot when I set up my new inverted L antenna with ideal grounding, but it is
a comparatively noisy rig down low. A friend of mine that also enjoys the
hobby has had a number of radios over the years, many of which I have tried.
He has a Drake R7 and we both agree it is ideal for MW. Not related to this
thread, but he also has a NRD-545. I'm glad he got one before I did. Three
years ago I was considering a545 as an upgrade to my R75. He picked up a
brand new NRD-545 while I was considering it too. I got to try it for a few
days. I swapped him for my R75 as he never had one. I think the NRD-545
sounds like hell. Looks amazing, but it was so tinny and non robust, even
software processing through my PC couldn't make it tolerable for me. He
never sold the radio, but hardly ever turns it on. He says he has no reason
to use any radio other then his R8b. He thinks my R75 was "a fun toy". One
of those Drake guys :-)

Michael

Old September 6th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bm bm is offline

On 6 Sep, 18:00, "Michael" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sep 6, 4:56 pm, "Michael" wrote:

[...]

The R75 is a very capable MW receiver, and sensitive even without the
attenuation pad removal (it only improves sensitivity with 3 dB
anyway). I had one myself but decided to replace it with Icom
transceivers (746Pro and 703, all modded). Size and price were/are two
good points about the R75; audio quality could be better. But there is
always personal taste which makes the final judgement.

As for the NRD-545 I agree. I had one and while it might surely be an
excellent UTE rig, you will not want to use the 545 for broadcast DX-
ing and even less for casual broadcast listening. The AGC setting in
AM mode was stuck on "Fast", producing listening fatigue within
minutes. A pretty radio though.

BM
Old September 7th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dave" wrote in message
Michael wrote:

My totally unmodified R75 gets stations on every MW channel.

Without the attenuation removed, it is a pretty dull performer on MW. I
would imagine you have not been able to detect even the easy TPs with it.

Old September 7th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
My totally unmodified R75 gets stations on every MW channel.

Without the attenuation removed, it is a pretty dull performer on MW. I
would imagine you have not been able to detect even the easy TPs with it.

I can get the TIS stations at LAX and Barstow.
Old September 8th 08, 09:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
My totally unmodified R75 gets stations on every MW channel.

Without the attenuation removed, it is a pretty dull performer on MW. I
would imagine you have not been able to detect even the easy TPs with it.

I can get the TIS stations at LAX and Barstow.

In other words you can't get any TP´s.

Hey, 'Eduardo', you can turn him on to your other little enterprise, Pretend to
Hear*.

*Pretend to Hear is a wholly owned subsidiary of Pretend to Own.

MW DX'ing KaitoWRX911 Shortwave 0 September 6th 08 06:16 AM
Back to BCB DX'ing [email protected] Shortwave 0 December 24th 05 01:02 AM
More on Shortwave Receivers... DX'ing, etc. Daniel J. Morlan Shortwave 5 March 27th 05 06:55 PM
DX'ing with a Jwin JX -M14 Diverd4777 Shortwave 2 July 6th 04 06:50 PM
DX'ing conditions bad all over ??? Michael Shortwave 11 August 28th 03 03:02 AM