Old August 22nd 03, 02:19 AM
Michael

Default DX'ing conditions bad all over ???

Hi...

The past few days have been VERY bad for me here in North NJ as far as
DX'ing. The noise level is out of hand. "HSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!! " Is it
local or somthing global ???

Anyone notice the same thing ???

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/
Northern NJ
R75 w/DSP, Kiwa agc/sync & audio mods
G5RV & 200ft longwire w/ICE-180
MFJ-1048 preselector
SoundBlstr Live PC card w/five piece Cambridge
speakers & full software mixer/eq.

Old August 22nd 03, 02:33 AM
Michael

Aurora in Arizona ??? WTF ?????

--

"yachtboy!" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:19:56 GMT, "Michael" wrote:

Hi...

The past few days have been VERY bad for me here in North NJ as far as
DX'ing. The noise level is out of hand. "HSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!! " Is

it
local or somthing global ???

Anyone notice the same thing ???

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/
Northern NJ
R75 w/DSP, Kiwa agc/sync & audio mods
G5RV & 200ft longwire w/ICE-180
MFJ-1048 preselector
SoundBlstr Live PC card w/five piece Cambridge
speakers & full software mixer/eq.

http://www.sunspotcycle.com/
==========
"Being diabetic is alot like having an un-invited
guest at a picnic, who keeps pointing out the potato
salad may have gone bad."--W.B. Willis

"Destiny has a strange sense of humor..." K. Honeycutt
----------
http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe
http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/psychedelic.htm
http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/slinkypage.html

"He not busy being born is busy dying..." B. Dylan

=======================

Old August 22nd 03, 02:35 AM
JA

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:19:56 -0600, Michael wrote:

Hi...

The past few days have been VERY bad for me here in North NJ as far as
DX'ing. The noise level is out of hand. "HSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!! " Is
it local or somthing global ???

Anyone notice the same thing ???

Someone posted about solar max and min a bit ago. Someone else posted
about aurora borealis. The point I guess is that some natural phenomena
are messing up radio waves.
Old August 22nd 03, 02:36 AM
Michael

I'm reading them now... Hard to believe an aurora in Arizona. That's
extraordinary.

--

newsan.2003.08.21.19.35.28.851769.4912@canoemail .comPOST...

Old August 23rd 03, 10:44 PM
tommyknocker

N8KDV wrote:

Michael wrote:

Hi...

The past few days have been VERY bad for me here in North NJ as far as
DX'ing. The noise level is out of hand. "HSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!! " Is it
local or somthing global ???

Anyone notice the same thing ???

We are currently at storm conditions.

This is, what, the third day this week with significant solar storm
activity?

http://www.n3kl.org/

Old August 23rd 03, 10:45 PM
tommyknocker

helmsman wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:35:31 -0600, JA
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:19:56 -0600, Michael wrote:

Hi...

The past few days have been VERY bad for me here in North NJ as far as
DX'ing. The noise level is out of hand. "HSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!! " Is
it local or somthing global ???

Anyone notice the same thing ???

Someone posted about solar max and min a bit ago. Someone else posted
about aurora borealis. The point I guess is that some natural phenomena
are messing up radio waves.

This page ftp://ftp.sec.noaa.gov/pub/latest/wwv.txt will give you
this:
Product: Geophysical Alert Message wwv.txt
Issued: 2003 Aug 22 1210 UTC
# Prepared by the US Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, Space Environment Center
#
# Geophysical Alert Message
#
Solar-terrestrial indices for 21 August follow.
Solar flux 119 and mid-latitude A-index 51.
The mid-latitude K-index at 1200 UTC on 22 August was 4 (47 nT).

Space weather for the past 24 hours has been moderate.
Geomagnetic storms reaching the G2 level occurred.

Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected.

Yeah, but what does this mean? Could you explain?

Old August 24th 03, 12:00 AM
J999w

Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected.

Yeah, but what does this mean? Could you explain?

This means you need to catch up on your reading.

:^]

jw
wb9uai
Old August 24th 03, 12:22 AM
Signal In The Noise

The higher the SFI number, the better the propagation. Typical daily SFI
values have ranged from 67 (Jan 1997) to 370 (Jan 1991).

We are now at SFI: 120 so propagation on the upper SW bands is poor -- above
10Mhz.

The A-Index kinda sez the sun is messin with propagation

The higher the A-index, the more unstable propagation becomes.
Classification of A-indices is as follows:

A0 - A7 = quiet

A8 - A15 = unsettled

A16 - A29 = active

A30 - A49 = minor storm

A50 - A99 = major storm

A100 - A400 = severe storm

So currently the A-Index is 41 -- not good

For more -- See Propagation fundamentals at URL:

http://ac6v.com/propagation.htm#HF

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/info/FAQ.html#g4

http://www.trsc.com/ref_propagation.html

This ones titled "how come i can't hear anything?"

Gd DX et al

Signal In The Noise

Old August 24th 03, 01:20 AM
John Garrison

"Signal In The Noise" wrote in message
The higher the SFI number, the better the propagation. Typical daily SFI
values have ranged from 67 (Jan 1997) to 370 (Jan 1991).

We are now at SFI: 120 so propagation on the upper SW bands is poor --

above
10Mhz.

I can testify to the above ten Mhz thing. I had switched to getting BBC's
European feed on 12095 Khz and now have switched back to 5975. Oh well, they
are out there somewhere.

"J999w" wrote in message
Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected.

Yeah, but what does this mean? Could you explain?

This means you need to catch up on your reading.

:^]

jw
wb9uai

---

DX Conditions Dr.X CB 8 September 8th 04 12:46 AM
Request for DXing and QSL information Da Shadow Dx 0 June 19th 04 02:45 PM
Request for DXing and QSL information Da Shadow Dx 0 June 19th 04 02:45 PM
pro and cons FT-1000MP in DXing or pile-ups ? Thierry Dx 10 February 21st 04 11:35 PM
pro and cons FT-1000MP in DXing or pile-ups ? Thierry Dx 0 February 14th 04 05:45 PM