Old December 12th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default A Radio Disney Mystery

Where do they get all that awesome music???
Ha ha!
Okay--J/K.

-------

Radio Disney has a station listed at 1260 kHz in St Louis.
I can consistently pick up that same transmission at 351 kHz as well,
day or night, on my Sony ICF-7600GR. The LW sounds like it might be a
/bit/ weaker than the AM signal.

At first I wondered why Disney would be broadcasting on LW, but when I
went online to look for actual ID,,,, I cannot find any reference to
Disney on that frequency.

I have found a few listings of Disney-affiliate stations all over the AM
and FM dial, but none SW or LW. The only station listed for St Louis is
the 1260 station. So what's up with this 351 kHz business? I haven't
found any other station that was "repeated" in two different frequencies
like this.
~
Old December 12th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 12, 10:12*am, DougC wrote:
Where do they get all that awesome music???

I have found a few listings of Disney-affiliate stations all over the AM
and FM dial, but none SW or LW. The only station listed for St Louis is
the 1260 station. So what's up with this 351 kHz business? I haven't
found any other station that was "repeated" in two different frequencies
like this.
~

More than likely it's an image of the 1260khz transmission showing up
your radio as 350khz (910khz spacing), even dual conversion radios can
suffer from this, especially on the AM when it's using the internal
ferrite antenna

A good discussion is on this topic - http://tinyurl.com/57bqdh
Old December 12th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , DougC
wrote:

[...]

Okay, I'm a bit rusty on this, so someone can correct me...

1260 - 350 = 910 / 2 = 455

It's a receiver-generated image based on the 455 kHz conversion circuit
in the radio.

You might hear the other one at 2170 kHz...

It sucks, but it happens -- even on my R8; maybe someone will chime in
with the technical reason.

I've completely forgotten :-(
-j
Old December 13th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

BDK wrote:

More likely, it's just your not so great radio. How close to you is that
station?

It's ehhh, , , it's . . . . -in the neighboring town.

Investigating further, it doesn't seem to be the most popular station:
http://www.qsl.net/n0uih/IBOCMythsan...alogvsIBOC.htm
I suppose I should be glad I don't hear it on my dental fillings.

-----

Another semi-related question: what analog-tuner radios are there with
better tuning circuitry, that is not a boatanchor, and that will cover
all or most of the range in-between bands?
~
Old December 13th 08, 08:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...
BDK wrote:

More likely, it's just your not so great radio. How close to you is that
station?

It's ehhh, , , it's . . . . -in the neighboring town.

Investigating further, it doesn't seem to be the most popular station:
http://www.qsl.net/n0uih/IBOCMythsan...alogvsIBOC.htm
I suppose I should be glad I don't hear it on my dental fillings.

-----

Another semi-related question: what analog-tuner radios are there with
better tuning circuitry, that is not a boatanchor, and that will cover
all or most of the range in-between bands?
~

Analog, but not a boatanchor? Hmmm. Panasonic RF-2200?

Why do you want an analog rig?

--
BDK

BDK Klan leader?
kOOk Magnet!
NJJ CLUB #1
Shillmaster

Old December 13th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"DougC" wrote in message
RF-2200 looks interesting, tis a shame any I'd find would already be a
quarter-century old.

Oh well.

Umm, yes. That's exactly why they are so desirable. I have one and it
works fine. I have radios that are over 70 years old that work fine.

Old December 13th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...
BDK wrote:
In article ,

says...

Analog, but not a boatanchor? Hmmm. Panasonic RF-2200?

Why do you want an analog rig?

The digital tuning seems to miss a lot of minor things, in-between the
channels. An analog tuning dial is more fun to spin (as long as it stays
where you leave it).

RF-2200 looks interesting, tis a shame any I'd find would already be a
quarter-century old.

Oh well.
~

You've apparently used cheaper/older digital radios. With up to one
hertz tuning resolution, there isn't any missing anything. And a good
tuning knob is a good tuning knob:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japan-Radio-Co-N...adio-Receiver-
NICE_W0QQitemZ390015795849QQcmdZViewItemQQptZShort wave_Radios?
hash=item390015795849&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkpar ms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|
65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Overpriced, but a very nice receiver. You can get one for less.

And a classic:

#description

Even though it only tunes in 100hz steps, you won't miss anything on it
either. I've owned a nearly identical one for almost 25 years. It will
never leave, until I do.

--
BDK

BDK Klan leader?