Old December 16th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Want to REALLY annoy your HOA???

Hams, and Cbers, want to really annoy your HOA?

Use a CB HT.

I just found this rule:

"There are no height restrictions for antennas mounted on vehicles or
for hand-held units (CB Rule 8)."

So just put a big honking antenna on your cb ht (walkie talkie) that
goes way above the roof of your house and
way above 20 feet above your line without it being connected to your
house at all, just to your ht.

However, I don't suggest doing it with your vehicle even though its
legal. There's a lot of low-level bridges and
fast food drive throughs, etcetera. And very dangerous power lines.

If you do do it with your ht, make sure there's no power lines or such
around that it can accidentally touch.

So you don't get electrocuted.

The HOA would really love that one.

Old December 16th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave

Oh, and IF the ham rules also allow any height antennas on ham hts,
use a ham ht with a big honking antenna.

And if your HOA says anything about it, such as "CBs aren't allowed",
tell them "it's not a CB. It's a speaker cell phone. Then right in
font of them, proceed to call your ham radio buddy or wife or friend
by using the autopatch feature of your local ham radio reprater so
that the HOA complainer(s) hear the sound of a ringing telephone on
it, and the person answering.

With so many people using cell phones these days, would a HOA even
dare to make rules regulating cell phones?

Well, maybe.

I actually do have a speaker cell phone.

And also a regular landline speakerphone.

CBers might be able to get away with it using one of the new base cbs
that use bluetooth telephone through the CB. Just tell your HOA it's a
telephone,
then right in front of them, use your bluetooth feature to make a
telephone call over the base cb.

Would the HOA even dare to regulate what kind of telephone people
have?

Well, maybe.

I did already read one homeowners statement that he was going to turn
another homeowner into the hoa and file a civil lawsuit against him
because
the other homeowner had a moosehead hanging over the mantle of his
fireplace in the living room of his house.

What I want to know is, what business is it of any HOA what kind of
interior decorations you have INSIDE ofyour own home?

What business is it of theirs whether you have daisies or tulips
sitting in a vase on your ktchen counter INSIDE of your own home?

Old December 23rd 08, 06:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 16, 10:44*am, DougC wrote:
radioguy wrote:
Hams, and Cbers, want to really annoy your HOA?

Use a CB HT.

I just found this rule:

"There are no height restrictions for antennas mounted on vehicles or
for hand-held units (CB Rule 8)."

I was at the local electronics place for something to use for a
random-wire and mentioned that I couldn't put up any kind of permanent
SW receiver antenna. The guy there said one customer was in the same
situation, living in an apartment. His solution was to do only mobile
equipment, and he had dumped quite a bit of money into gear in his car.

Well, from what I and other people saw in Palmdale's ordinace, it
looks like they're outlawing mobile use of ham radio also.

And I know that according to it, the ordinance gives Palmdale the
authority to tell you how mucch power you are and aren't allowed to
run while transmitting on your ham radio.

I thought only the FCC had that authority.

How can Palmdale legally require you to not transmit over three watts
when the FCC clearly says you can legally transmit with up to one
thousand five hundred watts.

How can Palmdale legally say you're not allowed to transmit with one
thousand five hundred watts when the FCC clearly says you are legally
allowed to???

* ----

The only way I could see doing this, was if you bought a smaller camper,
and put all your gear into that, with some kind of pop-up mast. Then you
could drive out to a rural area and have a comfortable, RF-noise-free*
radio shack to have your fun.

*(if you stuck to 12V gear, no 115v invertors)

~

Old December 23rd 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 16, 10:44*am, DougC wrote:
radioguy wrote:
[...]

Note: The "three watts" was an example, not really what Palmdale
said.