Old December 23rd 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna for shortwave reception

Folks,

I have purchased a Sangean ATS-909 World Receiver. It is equipped with
an internal ferrite antenna för MW and LW, and a telescope antenna for
SW and FM. It also comes with a portable SW antenna (ANT-60), seven
meters long. Is this external antenna generally sufficient for SW
reception, or should I get a different antenna? If yes, is there a
solution that doesn't cost all that much money? I have a copy of the
2009 World Radio TV Handbook, and they are talking about a Wellbrook
ALA-1530+ loop antenna, and let me tell you, that one is well past my
budget, because it costs $466... I am looking for something a lot
cheaper... :-) If it is recommended to replace the ANT-60, that is.

PJ
Old December 23rd 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Don't bring the amateur antenna group into these discussions. That group
has a bunch of key clowns in it.

Yeah, they actually build antennas for all frequencies, something you
obviously do not ... ROFLOL

Most amateurs do not.
Most amateurs buy them.
Most amateurs would not know how to build them.

No amateurs operate on all frequencies idiot.

Idiot, he said connect an antenna to the whip.

No he didn't idiot. He even mentioned that the radio comes with the
ANT-60 antenna, which plugs into the antenna jack not clip onto the whip
antenna. The clip is for holding the far end of the windup part of the
antenna to something so the antenna can be held off the ground, idiot.

An amateur idiot answered with the clip a wire to the whip comment,
idiot.

Now you propose he drills a hole though the battery compartment of
the radio to gain access to some sort of ground; or else, do a DIY
antenna somewhere on the case by dismantling the radio?

Well that shows to everyone the news group that you are a complete
idiot. I suggest you go post somewhere else idiot.

Now I remember why I wrote you off as a total idiot ...

Brainless worthless key clown. You don't understand what you post about
so you take shots at people like me that do. Must be tough to be you.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 23rd 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

SNIP

Now I remember why I wrote you off as a total idiot ...

Just another ignorant cowardly retard with a gmail account posting from
a open server. What a big surprise.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 23rd 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
John Smith wrote:

[...]

You are the worst fool I have run into in any of the electronics groups,
and, right up there with the worst-of-the-worst from other groups ...
obviously, a trained tech who has never had in-depth math, science and
physics education ... sorry, so very, very sorry ... :-(

However, that is only my humble opinion. I am sure you can produce even
more uneducated fools which will claim to kiss yer' arse ...

Regards,
JS
Old December 23rd 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

Just another ignorant cowardly retard with a gmail account posting from
a open server. What a big surprise.

Another idiotic, know-it-all, remark which leaves your ignorance hanging
in a sea of stupidiy ... albasani is a free server, set up to provide
free speech (however, some idiots just feel better when the pay for free
things, to them, and you, I say, go for it!--I do not waste a second of
my time protecting idiots from themselves. Most computer savvy would
use such ... and the Gmail? Most computer savvy would also use it,
along with Thunderbird and K9 (K9 makes gmail spam filtering fool
proof--if one is savvy enough to set it up correctly ... ) And, perhaps
the main reason why, I can pass out my email with absolutely immunity to
angry/childish-fools/spam/phishing/scams/etc. ...

Sounds like you know about as much about software applications as you do
antennas--however, I do realize your plight, if you only spoke about
those things you had a valid/up-to-date education in, you would have to
remain silent, IMHO ...

Regards,
JS

Old December 24th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
John Smith wrote:

SNIP

Now I remember why I wrote you off as a total idiot ...

Just another ignorant cowardly retard with a gmail account posting from
a open server. What a big surprise.

However, I did think his radio was a "cheapie" with no real antenna
jack. And, since the Ant-60 comes with an alligator clip so it can
attached to the whip, it only reinforced "my guess." And, if that were
not enough to lead me astray, someone else recommended a long wire
attached to the whip (a "fix" I frequently use on radios I travel with,
although I do use a current balun to provide improved performance on
most SW freqs by taking the, generally, low impedance of the long wire
and matching it to the multi-kilo-ohm impedance of the whip ...

No problem though, since having first hand experience with the Ant-60,
and if it were mine, I would toss it in the trash, attach a ~60 ft, and
get it in the air as high as possible, sanely taking into consideration
the environment I am deploying it in. Then provide the antenna with a
suitable DC ground, 1mh choke, or so, across the jack to grnd ... again,
better, IMHO ... (I have to admit, the reel is handy on the Ant-60, I
have to wind mine up around a short length of 8" PVC pipe.) Very handy
"dangled" out the porthole of a ship ...

It would give him increased reception and eliminate any danger of any
type of voltage on the "hot" antenna ...

Regards,
JS
Old December 24th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
John Smith wrote:

[...]

Let's sum this up shall we.

I give good information to the OP asking for advice and you give what?

Nothing.

You misconstrue what the OP wrote, what the amateur key clown wrote and
then confronted with this say I'm the problem. Hilarious!

You are a retard with a major comprehension problem.

However, that is only my humble opinion. I am sure you can produce even
more uneducated fools which will claim to kiss yer' arse ...

And it looks like you have an anal preoccupation.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 24th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
John Smith wrote:

SNIP

Now I remember why I wrote you off as a total idiot ...

Just another ignorant cowardly retard with a gmail account posting from
a open server. What a big surprise.

However, I did think his radio was a "cheapie" with no real antenna
jack.

Mistake one.

And, since the Ant-60 comes with an alligator clip so it can
attached to the whip, it only reinforced "my guess."

Mistake two.

And, if that were not enough to lead me astray, someone else
recommended a long wire attached to the whip

You mislead yourself - mistake three.

(a "fix" I frequently use on radios I travel with, although I do use
a current balun to provide improved performance on most SW freqs by
taking the, generally, low impedance of the long wire and matching it
to the multi-kilo-ohm impedance of the whip ...

That's all very nice but has nothing to do with your previous
contentious posts.

No problem though, since having first hand experience with the Ant-60,
and if it were mine, I would toss it in the trash, attach a ~60 ft, and
get it in the air as high as possible, sanely taking into consideration
the environment I am deploying it in. Then provide the antenna with a
suitable DC ground, 1mh choke, or so, across the jack to grnd ... again,
better, IMHO ... (I have to admit, the reel is handy on the Ant-60, I
have to wind mine up around a short length of 8" PVC pipe.) Very handy
"dangled" out the porthole of a ship ...

It would give him increased reception and eliminate any danger of any
type of voltage on the "hot" antenna ...

That's all very nice smith but you are still a cowardly anonymous
Trolling idiot. Go redeem yourself elsewhere as I'm not interested jerk.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 24th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Telamon wrote:

Just another ignorant cowardly retard with a gmail account posting from
a open server. What a big surprise.

Another idiotic, know-it-all, remark which leaves your ignorance hanging
in a sea of stupidiy ...

No, moron, I made a know something post which you elected not to do.

albasani is a free server, set up to provide
free speech

Which you abuse.

(however, some idiots just feel better when the pay for free
things, to them, and you, I say, go for it!-

You are just chock full of bad assumptions aren't you. I'm using my
ISP's news server, which costs nothing "extra".

I do not waste a second of my time protecting idiots from themselves.

Oh my! What superiority complex you have! It's just to bad for you it
is an empty threat.

Most computer savvy would use such ... and the Gmail? Most computer
savvy would also use it, along with Thunderbird and K9 (K9 makes
gmail spam filtering fool proof--if one is savvy enough to set it up
correctly ... ) And, perhaps the main reason why, I can pass out my
email with absolutely immunity to
angry/childish-fools/spam/phishing/scams/etc. ...

Yes, you are savvy enough to be an anonymous Trolling idiot.

I'm savvy enough to use one handle with an email address from my ISP and
use my ISP's news server.

Sounds like you know about as much about software applications as you do
antennas--however, I do realize your plight, if you only spoke about
those things you had a valid/up-to-date education in, you would have to
remain silent, IMHO ...

I don't use antenna software programs to do "antennas" as the
calculations are just algebraic and can be done on calculators but I
could understand why you would need them as a crutch.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 24th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

I don't use antenna software programs to do "antennas" as the
calculations are just algebraic and can be done on calculators but I
could understand why you would need them as a crutch.

Well, it is fun, to every once-in-a-while, unplonk you, give yas' a nice
kick-in-the-teeth, then plonk you again ... and the time has come ... ROFLOL

Regards,
JS