Old December 24th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

Default if federal law supercedes state law, then how are anti-scanner lawslegal???

If Federal law truly supercedes state law as hams claim they do, then
how are local state laws prohibiting using scanners to monitor the
police legal???

The federal ECPA law clearly says that monitoring police transmissions
is specifically allowed.

From anywhere in the U.S.

And "anywhere" would inclide from a vehicle.

And if I recall correctly, the ECPA even goes so far as to say that
monitoring of police may not be prohibited.

Old December 24th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

"radioguy" wrote in message
If Federal law truly supercedes state law as hams claim they do, then
how are local state laws prohibiting using scanners to monitor the
police legal???

The federal ECPA law clearly says that monitoring police transmissions
is specifically allowed.

From anywhere in the U.S.

And "anywhere" would inclide from a vehicle.

And if I recall correctly, the ECPA even goes so far as to say that
monitoring of police may not be prohibited.

Just my .2 worth, as a truck driver we always go by the most stringent law
be it the state,fed, or local, just to be on the safe side.

Old December 24th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

radioguy wrote:
If Federal law truly supercedes state law as hams claim they do, then
how are local state laws prohibiting using scanners to monitor the
police legal???

The federal ECPA law clearly says that monitoring police transmissions
is specifically allowed.

From anywhere in the U.S.

And "anywhere" would inclide from a vehicle.

And if I recall correctly, the ECPA even goes so far as to say that
monitoring of police may not be prohibited.

Yes, I would think it would be quite illegal.

Preventing the people from know what there public servants are up to,
and if they are doing their job or not would be purely criminal!

It would fly in the face of logic ... I mean, if they wish to deny me
access to know what is going on, let those they do let listen pay their
wages!

Problem is, there may be enough idiots to over-ride common sense and logic.

Regards,
JS
Old December 24th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

okay. After posting, I just tiik a look at the federal ecpa law again.
And IF the hams are correct that federal law ALWAYS supercedes anf
trumps local and state laws, then it is legal for cbers and other non-
hams to have scanners in their vehicles no matter what state and local
laws say.

The ECPA clearly says it shall not be unlawful to listen to police
transmissions (as long as they're unencrypred).

And it does not mention any places where you're not allowed to listen
to them.

In other words, it shall not be unlawful period to listen to police
transmissions.

Anywhere within the U.S.

Unless of course the hams are wrong and state and local laws supercede
and trump federal law.

Which is it?

state and local laws superceding and trumping federal law so non-hams
listening to police transmissions in their vehicles is a crime.

or federal law superceding and trumping state and local laws so non-
hams listening to police transmissions in their vehicles is not a
crime.

copy of part of the text of the FEDERAL ecpa law:

"(g)it shall not be unlawful under this
chapter or chapter 121 this title for
Post p. 1860 any person---
"(i)to intercept or access an
electronic communication made through
an electronic communication system
that is configured so that such
electronic communication is readily
accessible to the general public;
"(ii) to intercept any radio
communication which is transmitted--
"(I) by any station for the use
of the general public, or that
relates to ships, aircraft, vehicles,
or persons in distress;
"(II)by any governmental, law
enforcement, civil defense, private
land mobile, or public safety
communications system, including
police and fire, readily accessible
to the general public;"

There you have it, folks. It shall NOT be unlawful to intercept any
radio communication which is transmitted by any governmental,LAW
ENFORCEMENT,civil defense,private land mobile, or public
communications system INCLUDING POLICE and fire, readily accessible to
the general public (meaning not encrypted. If you can hear them on a
regular analog scanner, they are definitely unencrypted.)

That is federal law.

"(III) by a station operating on
an authorized frequency within the
bands allocated to the amateur,
citizens band, or general mobile
radio services; or

Interesting because even after the ecpa passed, certain hams around my
area told me that it is against the law to listen to ham radio at all
on any radio reciever unless you have a ham radio license.

"(IV) by any marine or
aeronautical communications system;

I've listened to the airband. Boring.

Old December 24th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

radioguy wrote:
If Federal law truly supercedes state law as hams claim they do, then
how are local state laws prohibiting using scanners to monitor the
police legal???

The federal ECPA law clearly says that monitoring police transmissions
is specifically allowed.

From anywhere in the U.S.

And "anywhere" would inclide from a vehicle.

And if I recall correctly, the ECPA even goes so far as to say that
monitoring of police may not be prohibited.

Yes, I would think it would be quite illegal.

Hey Mr. Ignorant, it matters where you live.

Preventing the people from know what there public servants are up to,
and if they are doing their job or not would be purely criminal!

Afraid of getting caught?

It would fly in the face of logic ... I mean, if they wish to deny me
access to know what is going on, let those they do let listen pay their
wages!

You know of assumptions not logic.

Problem is, there may be enough idiots to over-ride common sense and logic.

Are you a case in point? Looks like it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old December 24th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
radioguy wrote:

okay. After posting, I just tiik a look at the federal ecpa law again.
And IF the hams are correct that federal law ALWAYS supercedes anf
trumps local and state laws, then it is legal for cbers and other non-
hams to have scanners in their vehicles no matter what state and local
laws say.

The ECPA clearly says it shall not be unlawful to listen to police
transmissions (as long as they're unencrypred).

And it does not mention any places where you're not allowed to listen
to them.

In other words, it shall not be unlawful period to listen to police
transmissions.

Anywhere within the U.S.

Unless of course the hams are wrong and state and local laws supercede
and trump federal law.

Which is it?

I edited the cross posting.

If it was unlawful then selling scanners that cover the police band
would be banned. They are not banned and they are not unlawful to use.
Some states regulate whether they can be used in a car however.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 24th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 23, 8:03�pm, radioguy wrote:
[...]

The problem with your logic chain starts with the assumption that
federal law supercedes state laws. In some types of statues dealing
with universal rights (freedom to vote, anti-segregation and other
types of statues relating to civil rights) it does. When it comes to
general regulations, deference is given to state and localities.
Conservatives have long trumpeted this division of deference to be the
linchpin of shared federalism between the national gov't and states.

Study constitutional law, it matters!

Mike
Louisville, KY
Old December 24th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

"radioguy" wrote in message

Irregardless of the ecpa, try to listen in on military tactical comms and
let them find out about it.. they tend to call that espionage. Which is why
most scanners don't have the tactical freqs. in them...

Also, it depends upon your USE of the intercepted comms. There is an
enhancement for using a police scanner in furtherance of a crime.

Old December 24th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

Are you a case in point? Looks like it.

I was speaking of "others"; You were placed on the idiots' side of the
board after I had just read a couple of your posts ...

Regards,
JS
Old December 24th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

Also, it depends upon your USE of the intercepted comms. There is an
enhancement for using a police scanner in furtherance of a crime.

In most SDRs, it is only software (firmware in the cheaper ones), it is
only a matter of tweaking the source code to receive any freq within
range of the circuitry, or reprogramming the PIC in the cheaper ones ...

The military should always use deep encryption if they are
serious--otherwise, I would suspect you were only receiving
transmissions of non-importance, or those broadcast for disinformation
purposes ...

Regards,
JS

How to use the FEDERAL rebate jim CB 2 March 29th 08 01:41 AM
Federal 1540T Ed M Radio Photos 1 October 13th 07 11:30 PM
Shortwave Listening (SWL) Noise in Urban {Downtown) Location - Anti-Jammimg {Anti-Man-Made-Noise} Shortwave Antenna System RHF Shortwave 0 March 29th 06 05:25 AM
Anti-Bush - Anti-Blair MP3s For Free Download Pablo Broadcasting 0 April 13th 05 04:53 AM