Old December 28th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best Portable for MW DX

Mike wrote in news:602c6b61-d5c1-4f72-946c-6e442b847e27
@o40g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

My question is: Are there other radios that you folks think really
standout when it comes to MW DX?

I wouldn't part with my DX-440 (Sangean ATS-808.) I used to have an R-392,
and sitting side by side using the same loop, I could tell no difference
between the 2 in sensitivity or selectivity. Granted, the R-392 does not
have the nice sharp crystal filters the R-390 does, but I had a 4 khz
Collins crystal filter in there, and the DX-440 filter was just as
effective.

There are easy mods that make it even better, like using the BFO control as
a fine tuner to get around the 1 khz tuning steps. Something like clipping
a jumper. Another mod gets rid of the "chuffing" noises the receiever makes
when you use the knob to tune it. It has an external antenna jack, and a
switch to change between that or the ferrite bar. I have used this radio
with all sorts of loops, and logged KNX - 1070 - CA from Virginia using an
8 foot doubly balanced air loop in 1997. These days, I just use the ferrite
bar along with the equivalent of a Quantum Stick. Gives me all kinds of
interesting listening.

The only bad thing about this radio for BCB DXing is that it changes to the
whip antenna at 1601 kHz. It was made before the expanded band. What's up
there, anyway?
Old December 29th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Move doggy.Quit licking me arse!
cuhulin

best portable or non-portable SW radio? Apostle Keith Brown Shortwave 5 March 19th 08 01:48 AM
FA: Vintage Realistic "Astronaut 5" Multi-Band Portable SW/FM/AM/VHF Portable Radio Cartrivision1 Shortwave 0 March 28th 07 05:54 PM
FA: Vintage Realistic "Astronaut 5" Multi-Band Portable SW/FM/AM/VHF Portable Radio Cartrivision1 Swap 0 March 28th 07 05:54 PM
FS: 220 MHz Portable Cencom Swap 0 September 21st 04 01:42 PM
WTB UHF 4/5W Portable W/Pad netrunner Equipment 0 May 26th 04 05:09 PM