Old March 18th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default best portable or non-portable SW radio?

Apostle Keith Brown wrote:
If you have experience with
short waves, and would recogmend
one, what brand?
Thank you.

How much you looking to spend?

Drifter...

--
"Regulatory capitalism is when companies invest in lawyers, lobbyists,
and politicians, instead of plant, people, and customer service."
Old March 18th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 18, 4:26*pm, "Apostle Keith Brown"
wrote:
* * * * If you have experience with
short waves, and would recogmend
one, what brand?
Thank you.

Best portable: Sony 2010

Best tabletop: Kenwood R5000

Neither of these radios are in production, but are available used. I
was not clear from your message whether you were looking for a new or
a used receiver.
Old March 18th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Grundig Mini 300 PE

news

Old March 18th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Apostle Keith Brown" wrote in message
news
If you have experience with
short waves, and would recogmend
one, what brand?
Thank you.

For me, If you have the cash for something pretty nice I would say an IC R75
or perhaps a Drake R8 series. The Drakes get quite pricey so that might not
be feasible. I would look into the IC R 75 from Icom which would run you
between 400 to 600 depending on where you buy and if it is used or not. The
older Yaesu FRG 100 models are pretty good too but without the keypads and
are almost always used unless someone has one in stock out there.

For a portable smaller radio, I would go for a DX 398 commonly known as a
ATS 909 from Sangean. The Sony 7600GR models are excellent as well.

If I were you, I would buy a copy of Passport for World Band Radio from say
Amazon or Borders, etc. They have a nice listing of new rigs that are
currently on the market and that will also tune you into programs, etc. Band
conditions here in North Am are pretty bad right now but there are a lot of
nice catches on the lower bands below 10 Mhz. Especially at night of course.
The higher bands above 10 MHZ are reserved right now for mostly daytime
reception. Other than that, I dont know much else I can tell you.

But what I would say is that you should probably see what your interest is
in maybe by buying a smaller and cheaper rig and seeing if SW Radio is for
you. Then you could graduate up to a higher priced model say like a Drake,
IC R 75, JRC, etc.

Sony and Sangean are probably two of the better radio manufacturers out
there in my opinion. However, certain Sangean models tend to be a little
flaky.

Old March 18th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Old March 19th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Have been using an Eton E 10 here in Southern Ont. Canada since this
model was introduced. What it doesn't have is Sychronous detection and
SSB (sideband). However it is very sensitive, has a good narrow
filter, super audio (a problem with a lot of other portables.) The
memoy system is, in my opinion, the best in a low priced (100-150$)
model.
There are 500 memorie plus, and I configured mine into 25 groups of 20
presets each, and used Page 1 for bdcsts starting at 0100 UTC, page 2
for 0200 UTC...to Page 24 serving as 0000Z (same as). Click of a
couple of buttons gets you up to 20 preset stations every hour of the
day !!
Also, there are lots of other lower priced portables, and if you are
just starting in SW one of these might be satisfactory, but you won't
be disappointed with the E10.

Apostle Keith Brown wrote:
If you have experience with
short waves, and would recogmend
one, what brand?
Thank you.

FA: Vintage Realistic "Astronaut 5" Multi-Band Portable SW/FM/AM/VHF Portable Radio Cartrivision1 Shortwave 0 March 28th 07 05:54 PM
FA: Vintage Realistic "Astronaut 5" Multi-Band Portable SW/FM/AM/VHF Portable Radio Cartrivision1 Swap 0 March 28th 07 05:54 PM
Portable radio Jukka Shortwave 13 April 24th 06 08:10 AM
xm portable radio John Fleming Broadcasting 4 November 8th 04 01:19 AM
FA ICOM UHF IC-F4S-4 portable radio. Mark Pupilli Swap 0 March 4th 04 05:42 AM