Old December 30th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best Portable for MW DX

A good list for Ultralite DX here

http://www.dxer.ca/content/view/56/78/

Nice one here . .

Sony SRF-M37V

This digital TV/Weather/AM-FM Stereo headphone-only unit is extremely
compact (83 x 63x 32 mm, or 3.4 x 2.5 x 1.3 inches), and weighs only
94 g (3.3 ounces).
It has a clock, 25 memory presets (5 for the AM band), and most
importantly, the critical ability to tune the entire (530-1710) AM
band in either 9 or 10 kHz steps.
Besides the 87.5- 108 FM coverage, it also can tune TV channels 2-13
and Weather channels 1-7. It includes a basic set of stereo headphones
(acceptable for AM-DXing,
but not recommended for FM-stereo enthusiasts), and a belt clip. It
requires a single AAA battery (not included), which is reputed to last
54 hours on AM, and has an
attractive black case with silver dial trim. The case has a curved
bottom edge, with the memories accessed by five front-panel push-
buttons (that could conceivably
be distinguished in the dark, by a DXer on an ocean beach). The unit
retails for $34.99 (Amazon). Needless to say, the combination of 9 kHz
split capability, digital
tuning and memories makes this radio the uncontested leader in AM-DX
tuning convenience among the contestants.

On Dec 27, 3:11*pm, Mike wrote:
Here's a general question I want to throw out:

Which portable receivers do you think make the best receivers for
chasing MW DX?

I'm fortunate enough to have collected a lot of portables and here are
the ones I'm currently leaning toward dedicating to MW DX:

1. Panasonic RF-2200

This one is clearly in the group and may be the best single receiver I
own for MW DX. It's only real drawback is the lack of a digital
readout, but 30 years of use has enabled me to develop a pretty good
ability to figure the exact frequency from finely-calibrated dial.

2. Redsun RP2100

I've owned this radio for about a year and continue to be impressed by
it's sensitivity and pleasing audio.

3. Sony ICF-7600GR

Small and very sensitive. The continously adjustable RF Gain makes the
GR model significantly better for MW DX than it's predecessor, the
7600G, which just had a DX-Local switch. It's small size makes it the
easiest to place on a Lazy Susan for directional reception.

4. Grundig S350

Though I have been extremely negative about this receiver (drifting,
tuning and image problems), I must admit that it's pretty impressive
when it comes to MW. I've been using it for MW DX for about the last
week and I have yet to hear an image in the MW band (they're all over
SW).

5. GE SuperRadio

Incredibly sensitive, very low noise floor and great audio.
Unfortunately, the dial is not finely calibrated and is way off. It's
hard to understand why a SR with digital readout was never made (at
least to my knowledge).

But, these five are about to be separated from my larger collection
with the purpose of dedicating them to MW DX.

My question is: Are there other radios that you folks think really
standout when it comes to MW DX?

Any comments are greatly appreciated,

Mike,
Louisville, KY

Old January 1st 09, 08:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 30 2008, 12:29*pm, wrote:
A good list for Ultralite DX here

http://www.dxer.ca/content/view/56/78/

Nice one here . .

Sony SRF-M37V

Chandler.......what a great site. That is going to make for some good
reading there. :-) I love when I can add sites like this. Thanks.
Old January 2nd 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Ultralight Radio AM-DX Shootout

On Jan 1, 12:51*am, BCBlazysusan wrote:
On Dec 30 2008, 12:29*pm, wrote:

- - A good list for Ultralite DX here
- -
- - http://www.dxer.ca/content/view/56/78/

Nice one here . .

Sony SRF-M37V

Chandler.......what a great site. That is going to make for some good
reading there. :-) I love when I can add sites like this. Thanks.

Ultralight Radio AM-DX Shootout - Round One
-by- Gary DeBock
http://www.dxer.ca/content/view/56/78/