Old January 3rd 09, 10:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Mystery of Shortwave

On Jan 3, 5:28*am, (Jacob Shank) wrote:
I've been having fun listening to Shortwave. I recently bought an
amazing radio. It's the SONY ICF-2010, and it picks up the faintest of
signals! The sync detector works great. I still have the Zenith
trans-oceanic H500, but i use the SONY more. Shortwave is still going
strong! I've been picking up all kinds of weird signals. I think i heard
india on 9425kHz.Then i put on SSB on 20 meters, and i heard a ham from
tokyo! I want to learn how to DX with it.
Jacob

Hi Jacob - enjoy your 2010 = a really great portable, but don't hang
too big a wire antenna on it, as I blew the front end twice on mine
doing that.

An essential to enjoying your radio is to have a copy of the latest
Passport to Worldband Radio, 2009 version. See:
http://www.passband.com/

Have fun and good DX

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old January 4th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

You might have avoided that by using a loop antenna instead of a high
impedance single wire. I keep telling people this but none seem to pay
attention.

I bought a well used Realistic DX 390 a while back. It works fine on FM,
but not on AM. I suspect it has two separate stages in the detection
department.

Do you have any references for the possibly blown FET? Any increases in
sensitivity/durability would be welcome.

mike
Old January 4th 09, 05:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , m II wrote:

Telamon wrote:

You might have avoided that by using a loop antenna instead of a high
impedance single wire. I keep telling people this but none seem to pay
attention.

I bought a well used Realistic DX 390 a while back. It works fine on FM,
but not on AM. I suspect it has two separate stages in the detection
department.

Do you have any references for the possibly blown FET? Any increases in
sensitivity/durability would be welcome.

I made a search on the web and found:
"find Q1 near the antenna connector which in my radio was a 2SK152"

which is in this informative article by ordie he-
http://dxworld.com/dx390.html

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 4th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

Do you have any references for the possibly blown FET? Any increases in
sensitivity/durability would be welcome.

I made a search on the web and found:
"find Q1 near the antenna connector which in my radio was a 2SK152"

which is in this informative article by ordie he-
http://dxworld.com/dx390.html

That was quick. The article tells all, including how to do a quick
quality check.

Many thanks.

mike
Old January 4th 09, 05:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , m II wrote:

Telamon wrote:

Do you have any references for the possibly blown FET? Any increases in
sensitivity/durability would be welcome.

I made a search on the web and found:
"find Q1 near the antenna connector which in my radio was a 2SK152"

which is in this informative article by ordie he-
http://dxworld.com/dx390.html

That was quick. The article tells all, including how to do a quick
quality check.

Many thanks.

That's what the SW news group is all about! Timely news you can use!

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old January 5th 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks for the responses. I think i'll just use the telescopic antenna
because i'm afraid if i use a wire, lightning static might damage it.
The 2010 has a very good FM, it's very sensitive on FM, but to bad they
didn't put it in stereo. I have a PANASONIC RX-4850 boombox for that.
The sound quality from the speaker isn't very good. I use MDR-NC6
headphones and it sounds great through it. The headphones have a
narrower sound. Yesterday, i didn't hear "all india radio" on 9425kHz,
just some domestic chinese station. They were playing ancient chinese
music and talking in chinese. When i change the batteries, do i have to
take out the AA clock batteries at the same time i take out the D
batteries?
Jacob