Old January 5th 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Suggested Roof Antenna for Sony Portable AM/FM Shortwave Radio

RHF wrote:
On Jan 4, 2:56 pm, "bw" wrote:
Now have a 7600GR, works well with the roll up clipped on the whip.
However, most of the time I seem to have a lot of local noise, and I'm in a
shallow valley.
I have an old TV mast on the roof and some nice RG-6 that was left over from
the satellite install.
The old TV antenna was damaged by ice and only the mast is left, about 30
feet above ground.
There is also a wood post about 20 feet high located 80 feet from the house,
it would be pretty easy to string a long wire from the TV mast to the post.
Then attach the wire to the coax, then coax into the house and into the
external port of the Sony.

What would be a decent coupling for the wire to the coax. I'd also like to
ground the coax so that my house noise is minimal.
Ideas?

"BW",

So first you have a 75 Ohm Coax Cable running from
you Radio Shack up to an old metal TV Mast.

TIP - If this Coax Cable is more than 3-Years old
then replace it with RG6 Quad Shield Coax Cable.
* R/S Catalog # 15-1557
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062073

Second you have a Distance of 80 Feet to run a Horizontal
Wire Antenna from the TV Mast to a Wood Post.

STOP -Question- Do you have a Radio Shack Ground
-if-not- Make one to help protect : yourself, your home;
and your Radios. Run a Ground Wire from your Ground
up to and into your Radio Shack to Ground your Radios.
* R/S Catalog # 15-530
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103057

DO IT RIGHT
By BIGDAVE Verified Reviewer from Columbia,SC on 11/30/2008
Pros:
Easy To Set Up
Cons:
Flimsy, Unattractive Design
Best Uses:
Portable Devices
Describe Yourself:
Power User
Bottom Line:
No, I would not recommend this to a friend

Comments about RadioShack Economy 4-Ft. Ground Rod:

Do it right the first time for the same money. This ground rod is a
violation of the NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE and UNSAFE!!!! Go to [...] and
buy an 8 ft. min ground rod for less $$$/ Tap it in to the earth and
attach a # 6 bare wire to it with a proper connector. It costs no more
to be safe....maybe less. Absolutely less if you factor in injuries or a
fire in your house. I am an electrician for a living. Please do not use
this rod.

(from your first link)