Old January 15th 09, 08:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave

Default FCC Consumer Facts : Communicating During Emergencies -&-Emergency Alert System (EAS)

On Jan 11, 8:17*pm, wrote:
On Jan 11, 7:58*pm, Mike wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:30:47 -0500, wrote:

Some of us hams use radios that are WIDE OPEN!
Try talking to FEMA with FRS.

Which is illegal as your hammy radios are not FCC type accepted for
operation outside of the hammy bands.

okay. It's proof time for me.

I have an unmodified ham radio bought directly from a major ham store
brand new by me, which straight from the factory, can indeed transmit
on
some police channels.

You seem to claim it's illegal to even have such a radio since I'm not
licensed to transmit on police frequncies.

However, the FCC rules clearly say that I can transmit regular ham
radio on those exact same police frequencies even where the police can
hear me
doing so as long as I'm 1. transmitting from certain locations and 2.
not interfering with them (such as not transmitting over the polic
while they're talking, bt if they're quiet, it's okay for me to
transmit on the same channel).

However, there are hams who also work or volunteer in the emergency
response field who have "type accepted" equipment that is loaded with
both their local municipalities frequencies and ham radio frequencies,
and do legally use both sets of frequencies as necessary. *As long as
the equipment is type accepted and the user is authorized to use the
municipalities frequencies, there is no problem nor is it illegal.

DL.

Old January 15th 09, 08:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 11, 9:10*pm, Mike wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:17:35 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Jan 11, 7:58*pm, Mike wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:30:47 -0500, wrote:

Some of us hams use radios that are WIDE OPEN!
Try talking to FEMA with FRS.

Which is illegal as your hammy radios are not FCC type accepted for
operation outside of the hammy bands.

However, there are hams who also work or volunteer in the emergency
response field who have "type accepted" equipment that is loaded with
both their local municipalities frequencies and ham radio frequencies,
and do legally use both sets of frequencies as necessary. *As long as
the equipment is type accepted and the user is authorized to use the
municipalities frequencies, there is no problem nor is it illegal.

DL.

Read the original post. *The reference was to radios that are "wide
open", meaning hammy gear that has been modified. *The situation you
describe is NOT the same, but I agree, it is legal. *Hammy gear is not
type-accepted for use outside of the hammy bands.- Hide quoted text -

My ham radio is type accepted by the FCC and can transmit on police
frequencies without any modifications at all.

However, I do not do that. I value my license.

However the problem is that I now hear from some people, or more
accurately read from them, that mere possession of such is illegal.

I did not know that when I bought it brand new from a major ham store
straight as it came from the factory.

And the FCC rules did not say that possession of such is illegal. As a
matter of fact, according to the fcc rules, it's just the opposite.

Although I did read some state laws say possession of such is illegal.

What happened to "federal law always trumps local and state law" that
99.99 percent of the hams on here claimed???

The FCC rules even say I can transmit on those particular frequencies,
just not from my home, only while I'm mobile.

So under FCC rules, I'm allowed to transmit on them while mobile from
certain locations, but not allowed to transmit on them while
stationary at home.

While I'm sure the police in states claiming possession of such is
illegal will say just exactly the opposite of the above.

Old January 15th 09, 09:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 11, 7:58*pm, Mike wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:30:47 -0500, wrote:

Some of us hams use radios that are WIDE OPEN!
Try talking to FEMA with FRS.

Which is illegal as your hammy radios are not FCC type accepted for
operation outside of the hammy bands.

The EMS service in my area uses one of the frs-only channels

Both for dspatch and communications.

And the.police use one of the frs-only

For communicationm\ns involving following vehicles and reading the
license plate numbers of the vehicles over the air.

Is it illegal for me to possess my frs.gmrs radios since they are
capable of transmtting on frequencie used by the police and ems??

Is it illegal for me to transmit on those frs-only channels since
they're police and ems channels?????

The federal FCC rules say they are shared channels that anyone may
use.

However, there have already been people in other cities and other
states arrested for illegally transmitting over police channels when
those police
channels were on the frs channels.

It seems like federal law did not trump local and state law in those
cases despite what 99.99 percent of the hams on here have said.

And even when people can get out of it, it still costs them in court
costs and lawyers fees.

The kind of money that I do not have and would not be able to get out
of in such a case.

So yes you can be fined, found guilty and put in jail for legally
transmitting on your frs/gmrs radio even when you don't hear anyone
else transmitting
on that channel since you are illegally transmitting on a police
channel or ems channel by doing so (as far as local police, local
government and some states are concerned).

Even if it is one of the frs-only channels (eight through fourteen on
the radios I've seen).

I'm not sure if what I heard is my local town or one of the other
towns very close to me.

However, the police and ems are definitely using the frs-only channels
as a police channel and an ems channel. (two different channels, one
each that I have heard so far).

According to the FCC rules I've read, that is legal for them to use as
such since frs may be used by anyone including businesses or by anyone
period.

Bt once again, (concerning the arrests of people for transmitting on
frs-only channels) what happened to federal law always trumps local
and state law???

Old January 15th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave

radioguy wrote:

However, the FCC rules clearly say that I can transmit regular ham
radio on those exact same police frequencies even where the police can
hear me
doing so as long as I'm 1. transmitting from certain locations and 2.
not interfering with them (such as not transmitting over the polic
while they're talking, bt if they're quiet, it's okay for me to
transmit on the same channel).

This is getting interesting. Tell me more.
Old January 15th 09, 09:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 15, 12:31*am, radioguy wrote:
On Jan 11, 7:58*pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

More Ham Radio This and Ham Radio That
- - - yada, Yada. YADA !

The-Bottom-Line : It is Clearly Illegal for 'you' to
knowingly Interfere with Official Public Service
Radio Operations on Any Frequency [.]
- - - Being an Amateur Radio Operator has it limits.

Plus - It is Clearly Illegal for you to knowingly
Interfere with {get-in-the-way-of} Official Public
Service Operations at Any Location [.]
- - - Being an Involved Citizen has it limits.

now go and enjoy your radios ~ RHF
-ps- please stay-out of the way of public
service employees doing their jobs.

Old January 16th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave,misc.legal

On Jan 11, 7:58 pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

I did not say it's legal to interfere with the police. It's not. I
even said the FCC rules say that we're not allowed to interfere with
the police.

However, I do not consider transmitting on a frs channel that no one
else is talking on at the time as "interfering with the police" even
if the police
say so because they think the shared frs channels are their own
private police channels.

What if I had never heard them on there in the first place, which
could have happened since I very rarely have my frs radios on.

I turn to frs channel 8, hear no one talking, so transmit to the other
person I'm talking to, and get arrested for "illegally transmitting on
a police channel".

I try to get out of it by truthfully saying I didn't know it's a
police channel.

They and the court then come back with "Ignorance of the law is no
excuse".

But wait, the federal FCC rules says the channels are for everyone as
long as no interference is caused.

However, even though the police were not talking at the time, but were
listening, they consider it as interference being caused to their own
private
family radio servvice police channel.

While I consider it as interference not happening since no
conversations were on the channel at the time I was listening and
transmitting.

Once again, what happened to federal law trumps all local and state
laws?

I'm no rich enough to fight it in court.

So you're basically saying that no one in the general public is
allowed to use the frs-only channels even though the fedeal FCC says
the can, since
a number of public safety agencies inclding the police and ems have
decided to use the frs-only channels as their own private publicv
safety channels.

EMS channel 8. Police channel 14. Etcetera.

This forces the general public to illegally use channels 1-7 and 15
throguh 22, since they can't use channels 7 through 14 without getting
arrested by
the police for illegally using police channels.

I wonder what John Wilkerson would say about that.

Of course, the public would also be fined and arrested by the FCC and
federal marshalls for illegally using channela 1 through 7 and 15
through 22.

Old January 16th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 15, 8:12*am, Dave wrote:
radioguy wrote:

However, the FCC rules clearly say that I can transmit regular ham
radio on those exact same police frequencies even where the police can
hear me
doing so as long as I'm 1. transmitting from certain locations and 2.
not interfering with them (such as not transmitting over the polic
while they're talking, bt if they're *quiet, it's okay for me to
transmit on the same channel).

This is getting interesting. Tell me more.

In the U.S., the 420 to 430 mhz band is assigned to the police, public
safety, and I think even some businesses north of line A.

FCC rules say a ham is NOT allowed to transmit on those frequencies
while physically located north of line A.

FCC rules say that the same ham IS allowed to transmit with full power
on those frequencies while physically located south of line A as long
as
the ham south of line A does not cause any interference to the
licensed services located north of line A.

Questions: If I'm just a little south of line A and transmitting ham
ragchews at a certain power level where the police in the next county
north of line A can not hear me on their radios, am I transmitting
legally or illegally?

I say legally. BUT

Say I make no change in my transmitter whatsoever and the police in
the next county happen to buy newer more sensitive radios and can now
just
happen to hear me transmitting over them. With me unaware they can now
hear me. Am I transmitting legally or illegally.

I made no changes whatsoever in my transmitter.

How can what was perfectly legal for me to do now be illegal for me to
do just because the police not in my area bought different newer
radios that happen to pick up radio transmissions better than their
old ones???

Furthermore, if a police officer sees a crime or speeder in his own
county, he is allowed to follow them into the next county and arrest
them there.

What if he crosses into the county south of line A and transmits from
there, but hears me.

As far as I know, he isn't legally allowed to transmit from south of
line A.

However, despite a lot of hams I see posting on the internet claiming
that hams have primary status in the 420 to 430 mhz band, I know that
hams
actually only have secondary status in that band, anywhere in the
country.

However, I don't think local police have anyathority in that band
south of line A, although I might be wrong about that.

After all, the FCC does say that even hams south of line A may not
interfere with police north of line A.

But what if that police officer travels south of line A where I'm sure
he's not allowed to transmit from?

I think it's only the federal government (and maybe some others) who
have primary status in that band, anywhere in the country.

I'll have to check up on that.

Old January 16th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave,misc.legal
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : PONG RadioGuy "Troll Story"s

On Jan 11, 7:58 pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

Another one of RadioGuy's absurd "Troll Story"s
-aka- 'war and peace' on the internet ~ RHF

Old January 16th 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 15, 9:41*pm, RHF wrote:

Another one of RadioGuy's absurd "Troll Story"s
-aka- 'war and peace' on the internet ~ RHF

RHF, do you mean Troll Stories? For goodness sake, man, try to use
English! At least I could understand what Radioguy was writing. Your
misuse of words, your use of incorrect punctuation, and your spelling
makes your efforts at being a netnanny seem like irony.

Get a clue, Roy. I refuse to believe that you are as stupid as your
posts make you look. A college student writing like you do on this
newsgroup would flunk out of English 101.

Mike