Old May 12th 09, 05:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Looking for a good Shortwave radio

On May 3, 12:16*pm, MikeM wrote:
Hi,
* I am looking for a good table top type SW receiver. *I am thinking
new or used at about $1000.
Recommendations of receivers and where to get one from a reliable
seller are welcome.
Thank you.
Mike McM.

Go to the website at http://www.dxing.com/ where Glenn Hauser posted
reviews of a lot of old shortwave radios produced in past years, with
descriptions and ratings... he also mentions a book you can buy that
reviews shortwave radios produced in past years. It is a very good
idea to shop carefully because some shortwave radios aren't really
worth the money they cost. Also as someone else mentioned its quite
important to have a good antenna.
Some people claim 'active antenna' booster don't work but I found that
they do.... I suppose that's because I have hooked them up to good
antenna wires. If you use them alone and expect them to boost
reception, they probably don't do much except drag in electronic
noises from surrounding power lines and electronic devices in the
neighborhood.
There are also noise filters you can plug into the wall outlet and
then plug the radio into the filter.... I found that helps filter out
some noises, but not all.
Glenn Hauser's website is one of the finest sources for information on
how to use a shortwave radio correctly in order to maximize reception.

Old May 12th 09, 09:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Blake wrote:

On May 3, 12:16 pm, MikeM wrote:
[...]

Isn't it Fred Osterman of Universal Radio who posts the reviews at
http://www.dxing.com/ ?

dxAce
Michigan
USA