Old May 3rd 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Looking for a good Shortwave radio

Hi,
I am looking for a good table top type SW receiver. I am thinking
new or used at about $1000.
Recommendations of receivers and where to get one from a reliable
seller are welcome.
Thank you.
Mike McM.
Old May 3rd 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
MikeM wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for a good table top type SW receiver. I am thinking
new or used at about $1000.
Recommendations of receivers and where to get one from a reliable
seller are welcome.
Thank you.
Mike McM.

On this page you could buy new: IC-R75, RX-320D, R30A, or SDR-IQ

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr.html

The same outfit "Universal Radio" has used equipment he

http://www.universal-radio.com/alert.html

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 4th 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 3, 2:16*pm, MikeM wrote:
Hi,
* I am looking for a good table top type SW receiver. *I am thinking
new or used at about $1000.

LMFAO!

Old May 4th 09, 12:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 3, 3:16*pm, MikeM wrote:
Hi,
* I am looking for a good table top type SW receiver. *I am thinking
new or used at about $1000.
Recommendations of receivers and where to get one from a reliable
seller are welcome.
Thank you.
Mike McM.

Not to say you aren't telling the truth Mike McM, but it always cracks
me up when someone posts (to of all places) here in RRS when "they are
looking for a receiver".....and eight out of ten times it is always in
the range of something like you stated or more.....lol.

So let me get this straight, apparently you don't know a lick about
the shortwave hobby itself because you don't know anything about
receivers because you are ahem posting in RRS and asking what kind
of radio you should buy, and you just "happen to have" at the least a
grand to drop on a receiver that myself or someone else in here would
tell you to buy?rolling my eyes

If there is any validity to your post and you are being completely
honest, do your homework and find out. When you purchase your $1,000
receiver, even though you know nothing about the hobby, please feel
free to post again in here and let everyone know what you purchased
and what you are hearing.

Good luck on your choice of $1,000 receivers. ;-)sigh

Old May 4th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Bushcraftgregg wrote:

On May 3, 3:16 pm, MikeM wrote:

I am looking for a good table top type SW receiver. I am thinking
new or used at about $1000.
Recommendations of receivers and where to get one from a reliable
seller are welcome.

Not to say you aren't telling the truth Mike McM, but it always cracks
me up when someone posts (to of all places) here in RRS when "they are
looking for a receiver".....and eight out of ten times it is always in
the range of something like you stated or more.....lol.

snip

Raises a valid point however... There is no useful FAQ for this N.G.; such
a document, updated regularly, with comprehensive reviews of specs and
performance data for boatanchor and modern receivers would permit readers
to make informed purchasing decisions. The O.P. also asked for recommendations
on the integrity of sellers; this is a valid question, and answers other
than 'Universal Radio' would likely be welcomed by many readers. Certainly
there are printed resources, commercial websites and archived N.G. threads
that with effort would yield some data, but an effort to create a useful FAQ
should be undertaken IMHO as a centralized resource for promoting the radio
art and best practices.

Regards,

Michael

Old May 4th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 4, 11:05*am, msg wrote:
Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On May 3, 3:16 pm, MikeM wrote:

[...]

Forget the request on my post I got a good receiver from Universal
Radio.
Thank you,
Mike McM.
Old May 5th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
MikeM wrote:

On May 4, 11:05*am, msg wrote:
Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On May 3, 3:16 pm, MikeM wrote:

[...]

Hey Mike, what did you get? What model? New or used?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 5th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 4, 10:51*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*MikeM wrote:
On May 4, 11:05*am, msg wrote:
Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On May 3, 3:16 pm, MikeM wrote:

[...]

I got a used JRC NRD 525. from Universal
Mike
Old May 5th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 5, 10:05*am, MikeM wrote:
On May 4, 10:51*pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article
,

*MikeM wrote:
On May 4, 11:05*am, msg wrote:
Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On May 3, 3:16 pm, MikeM wrote:

[...]

Nice Radio ) ~ RHF
Old May 6th 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
MikeM wrote:

On May 4, 10:51*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*MikeM wrote:
On May 4, 11:05*am, msg wrote:
Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On May 3, 3:16 pm, MikeM wrote:

[...]

That's a fine radio. Let us know how you do with it by posting here. Be
sure to put up a good antenna. A good antenna is as important as the
radio.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California