Old June 19th 09, 05:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Up Date

In article 4a3a9811.216843@chupacabra,
says...
BDK wrote:
In article 4a3a0ed1.286234@chupacabra,

says...
BDK wrote:

When I hurt my knee, I spent a lot of time with my scanners,
reprogramming them, and entering alpha tags on everything.

Manually or using spreadsheet software?

Manually. My laptop and the cable were in a non-friendly to my knee
room, and it was too uncomfortable there, and dragging the laptop out
was a bigger hassle than just punching the stuff in by hand. The chair I
spent my time in wasn't good for PC use either.

The worst thing was I dumped the one scanner to my PC after I had it all
set up, and then after I had to reset it when it locked up, the dump
file wouldn't load! I had to use one of my earlier ones to get it going
again, and redo the rest. At least it was only about 40 freqs, not about
350 or so, the total I had in it.

I had once let an unused VX-5 set until the battery totally self
discharged and the thing got so corrupted that it wouldn't even start.
Had to do a full battery condition cycle plus charge on the MAHA,
reset the radio, then reload the memory data from a saved file.
I was lucky that the file loaded in my case and saved a lot of finger
fumbling on that tiny keypad. I would get the software for the TH-F6 and
try to organize it if I used it more often.

HT's have some very annoying programming steps on a lot of them, due to
Uniden and GRE wanting royalties on practically everything having to do
with scanners. I have a Yaesu VX-170 right now, great train radio, and I
don't have much programmed in it, just a few repeaters and railband
stuff. My VX-5 annoyed the hell out of me, and I put it on Ebay. I don't
like the audio on it much, but the intermod it got almost everywhere in
town just made it useless, along with the lockups it had, so off it
went. Best HT I ever had was the Icom 24AT I had for like 15 years.
Amazing railband and UHF reception, but lousy audio. The VX-170 is
almost as good on railband, and the audio is 10X as good as the Icom
was.

--

BDK..
Leader of the nonexistent paid shills.