Old July 1st 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Walkman, at 30, a mystery to teen

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...KE7.DTL&nopu=1

What's an iPod?
Old July 2nd 09, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Barry wrote in
:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../01/BU2618GKE7.
DTL&nopu=1

What's an iPod?

My youngest son once asked me, "Dad, why was the world black and white when
you were a kid? (referring to old family photos.)

One of those priceless gems that makes you smile years later.
Old July 2nd 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I am sleepy, fixin to cut the light and git my beauty sleep.Move over
doggy,,, you wand a cookie?
WOO WOO WOOF!
cuhulin

Old July 2nd 09, 08:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 1, 3:57*pm, Barry wrote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...7/01/BU2618GKE....

What's an iPod?

I read the article also. Most people look at the cassette as
equivalent withthe 8-track tape. But I bet these same people would
be shocked to find out that some of the better cassette decks had way
better specs than a Ipod. I have seen some of the Naks with freq.
response to 27 khz and my Denon, which was a mid-level deck, has freq.
response to 23 or 24 which I know is more than you can squeeze from
digital at even the highest bit rate. I'm just sayin'..........
Old July 2nd 09, 09:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article c00f6359-d5a8-4daa-a6e7-526e88d76b91
@g19g2000yql.googlegroups.com, says...
On Jul 1, 3:57*pm, Barry wrote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...7/01/BU2618GKE....

What's an iPod?

I read the article also. Most people look at the cassette as
equivalent withthe 8-track tape. But I bet these same people would
be shocked to find out that some of the better cassette decks had way
better specs than a Ipod. I have seen some of the Naks with freq.
response to 27 khz and my Denon, which was a mid-level deck, has freq.
response to 23 or 24 which I know is more than you can squeeze from
digital at even the highest bit rate. I'm just sayin'..........

I sold hifi stuff from about 72 until 79 or so, and the midrange decks
that I bought very cheaply from Panasonic/Teac/Akai/Sony/Onkyo would all
do at least 17K absolutely minimum, and many would go over 20 or even
22K. Most of them could record an LP well enough that it was very
difficult to tell the difference between the copy and the original. Some
actually had a slight bass boost, kind of a bonus back then, as records
had the bass cut most of the time.

I paid less than $200 for almost any of those decks, and if they were on
closeout, it was closer to $100. I still have a Technics deck I bought
in 1979 for a whopping $119+ shipping, and it works perfectly. I
recently bought another Technics deck, the same model as the first one I
bought at 14 years old. I got it from a guy on Ebay, and it looks and
sounds like it just came out of the box. Mine lasted over 27 years
before the take up reel motor died. I tried and tried to find one, and
finally scrapped it, only to find a perfectly working, but cosmetically
challenged one at Goodwill a couple months later. The one I have now is
slightly different, as it turned out there were four slightly different
versions of the same model. Panasonic/Technics did a lot of that with
cassette decks for some reason. A friend of mine's brother has the same
deck, with slightly different fonts on the labels, and the Technics logo
is smaller, too. My original one had sliding level pots, it's the only
one I've seen like it, except in pics, but every other one I have seen
in person has regular rotary pots for the level. The panel layout shows
that the sliders were the original design as there is a lot of wasted
room all around them.

I never could take 8-track sound for very long, the wow drove me up the
wall. Not to mention the track changing in the middle of songs.
--

BDK..
Leader of the nonexistent paid shills.

Old July 2nd 09, 10:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 2, 3:28*am, Bob Dobbs wrote:
LukeP wrote:
On Jul 1, 3:57*pm, Barry wrote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...7/01/BU2618GKE....

What's an iPod?

I read the article also. *Most people look at the cassette as
equivalent withthe *8-track tape. *But I bet these same people would
be shocked to find out that some of the better cassette decks had way
better specs than a Ipod. *I have seen some of the Naks with freq.
response to 27 khz and my Denon, which was a mid-level deck, has freq.
response to 23 or 24 which I know is more than you can squeeze from
digital at even the highest bit rate. *I'm just sayin'..........

Not a Nakamichi, nor a Denon, but an admittedly above average Sony, mine
will wind off a bit of tape from the spool, record two tones, rewind and
evaluate to determine the exact bias for that particular formula tape,
and when combined with the headroom expanding version of Dolby (HX-Pro)
can deliver frequencies way above my current range. The sound level
meter shows output from the speakers buy I can't hear it.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

I think I mentioned this kid six or seven months
ago in here. But there is this kid on youtube,
goes by "CassetteMaster"....he definitely has
a love for bringing back to life older cassette
players / eight tracks....just about anything.

It's good to see IMO, a kid with the love he has
for the older electronics.

Old July 2nd 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

elaich wrote:
Barry wrote in
:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../01/BU2618GKE7.
DTL&nopu=1

What's an iPod?

My youngest son once asked me, "Dad, why was the world black and white when
you were a kid? (referring to old family photos.)

One of those priceless gems that makes you smile years later.

Your youngest son needs remedial ed.
Old July 2nd 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

LukeP wrote:
On Jul 1, 3:57 pm, Barry wrote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...7/01/BU2618GKE...

What's an iPod?

I read the article also. Most people look at the cassette as
equivalent withthe 8-track tape. But I bet these same people would
be shocked to find out that some of the better cassette decks had way
better specs than a Ipod. I have seen some of the Naks with freq.
response to 27 khz and my Denon, which was a mid-level deck, has freq.
response to 23 or 24 which I know is more than you can squeeze from
digital at even the highest bit rate. I'm just sayin'..........

Sad. You can't hear much above 10 K; why do you care about 24?

You can buy a credible MP3 player for $20 that'll run circles around
your POS Nakamichi.
Old July 2nd 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...
LukeP wrote:
On Jul 1, 3:57 pm, Barry wrote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...7/01/BU2618GKE...

What's an iPod?

I read the article also. Most people look at the cassette as
equivalent withthe 8-track tape. But I bet these same people would
be shocked to find out that some of the better cassette decks had way
better specs than a Ipod. I have seen some of the Naks with freq.
response to 27 khz and my Denon, which was a mid-level deck, has freq.
response to 23 or 24 which I know is more than you can squeeze from
digital at even the highest bit rate. I'm just sayin'..........

Sad. You can't hear much above 10 K; why do you care about 24?

Speak for yourself. I can still hear over 20K with my right, and over
17K with my left.

You can buy a credible MP3 player for $20 that'll run circles around
your POS Nakamichi.

Except the Nak sounds way, way better. Even high bitrate MP3's sound
pretty bad, if you can still hear. They do sound a lot better than
satellite radio though.

Old July 2nd 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 2, 2:08*am, LukeP wrote:
On Jul 1, 3:57*pm, Barry wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...7/01/BU2618GKE....

What's an iPod?

I read the article also. *Most people look at the cassette as
equivalent withthe *8-track tape. *But I bet these same people would
be shocked to find out that some of the better cassette decks had way
better specs than a Ipod. *I have seen some of the Naks with freq.
response to 27 khz and my Denon, which was a mid-level deck, has freq.
response to 23 or 24 which I know is more than you can squeeze from
digital at even the highest bit rate. *I'm just sayin'..........

Get yourself a Super-Audio CD player and buy SA-CDs. Now that will
blow your socks off!
SA-CDs are the closest sound to the original studio master tapes:
www.sa-cd.net

Sony SRF-59 Walkman Converted to Shortwave Telamon Shortwave 1 June 8th 09 09:10 AM
Eduardo – Have you ever seen a Sony Walkman model SRF-59? Rfburns Shortwave 8 June 7th 08 01:11 PM
TEEN PANTIES 5605 Paul Boatanchors 0 October 7th 04 03:10 AM
Teen Sister Masterbating 9159 Cecil Moore Digital 30 March 1st 04 05:24 PM
WTB: Recording Walkman Tony Hwang Swap 1 November 12th 03 07:50 PM