Old July 17th 09, 11:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Passport to World Band Radio(R) in Limbo ?

Here's a release received from PWBR headquarters this morning ....

Regards,
Alokesh Gupta
New Delhi
-------------------

Passport to World Band Radio® in Limbo

As with any good recipe, a range of ingredients has to come together if a
reference book is to succeed. Solid content is, of course, essential. But in
recent months other considerations have had an increased bearing on the
future of Passport to World Band Radio®. So it is that the 26th Edition of
Passport to World Band Radio® is being held in limbo.

Despite this, for now we are continuing to maintain the WorldScan® database
and uphold all proprietary material. Among other things, this should help
allow for an orderly return to production, under IBS' aegis or otherwise,
should conditions allow. For Passport® readers and our small team, alike, this
is a seminal moment. After all, Passport to World Band Radio® goes back a
quarter century and has had something like a million readers worldwide. But
the future has its own rhythm that confounds
prognostication. There may yet be more chapters to this story. Stay tuned.

Best regards,
Lawrence Magne, Publisher
Passport to World Band Radio
International Broadcasting Services, Ltd.
mktg @ passband.com
www.passband.com
(Via DXLD)
==================

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 17th 09, 12:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 17, 6:34*am, dxAce wrote:
[...]

While it would be sad to lose something that's been around as long
PWBR, the proliferation of frequency lists and receiver reviews online
would prevent PWBR's demise from being as crippling to the hobby as it
might have been in the late 80's or early 90's. Thanks for passing the
info along, Steve.

Mike
Old July 17th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike wrote:

While it would be sad to lose something that's been around as long
PWBR, the proliferation of frequency lists and receiver reviews online
would prevent PWBR's demise from being as crippling to the hobby as it
might have been in the late 80's or early 90's. Thanks for passing the
info along, Steve.

Mike

As "World Band" (aka HFBC) is dead, it only follows that the TV Guide
for Shortwave Listening should go away too. WRTH had better hardware
reviews.
Old July 17th 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Mike"

While it would be sad to lose something that's been around as long
PWBR, the proliferation of frequency lists and receiver reviews online
would prevent PWBR's demise from being as crippling to the hobby as it
might have been in the late 80's or early 90's. Thanks for passing the
info along, Steve.

Mike

I get about everything I want on line now days.

I bought a lot of PWBR's over the years but not anymore.

Burr

Old July 17th 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 17, 12:06�pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
Just Plain Burr wrote:

I bought a lot of PWBR's over the years but not anymore.

It was one of their 'white papers'
combined with online reviews
that convinced me to go with the E1

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

Yeah, I've kept up with PWBR mainly for the equipment reviews which,
despite a slight bias on behalf of heavy advertisers, I've generally
given a lot of credibility, The station listings were out of date in
weeks.

Mike

Old July 22nd 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 17, 6:02*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
dxAce wrote:
Here's a release received from PWBR headquarters this morning ....

Instead of detailing any reasons or considerations for suspending
publication, it's just more sniveling from that whining Larry Magne.
I've never thought much of him after seeing one of his tantrums when he
was at RCI, don't remember what it was about, just his immaturity.

There are 57 comments on the Passport webpage that are very sorry to
see Passport go. Most encourage Larry Magne to continue publishing and
agree to pay a higher cover price. See:
http://www.passband.com/passport-to-...imbo/#comments

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
Old July 22nd 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:
Here's a release received from PWBR headquarters this morning ....

Instead of detailing any reasons or considerations for suspending
publication, it's just more sniveling from that whining Larry Magne.
I've never thought much of him after seeing one of his tantrums when he
was at RCI, don't remember what it was about, just his immaturity.

There are 57 comments on the Passport webpage that are very sorry to
see Passport go. Most encourage Larry Magne to continue publishing and
agree to pay a higher cover price. See:
http://www.passband.com/passport-to-...imbo/#comments

The only thing I liked about Passport was the Blue Pages. Magne's prose
is insufferable. He writes like a girl.

The internet has rendered almanacs quaint at best.
Old July 23rd 09, 01:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 22, 9:03*am, dave wrote:

...Magne's prose is insufferable. *He writes like a girl....

Which means what, exactly? If I commented that somebody writes like a
boy, what would you expect to see?
Old July 23rd 09, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Avery wrote:
On Jul 22, 9:03 am, dave wrote:

...Magne's prose is insufferable. He writes like a girl....

Which means what, exactly? If I commented that somebody writes like a
boy, what would you expect to see?

Less Latin.
Old July 26th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dave" ha scritto nel messaggio
m...

WRTH had better hardware reviews.

WRTH = fantastic job