Old August 6th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Our Love of Shortwave and Ham Radios - Your Story

Brian Anasta wrote:
Hey Guys,

Just for a bit of fun, I thought I would start a new threat about how,
and why, people here first started their hobby/love affair with
shortwave and or ham radios. I guess I will be first cab off the rank,
seeing as this thread is my idea heh.

Although I am only relatively new to the hobby, I think part of the
fascination for me is being able to have the ability to listen into a
huge variety of wonderful and wacky broadcasts from many regions of
the world. I have been quite an avid listener using my friends simply
beautiful AOR AR8600 Mark II, and I guess you could say from that, the
urge to get my very own unit was well and truly born. I also believe
it is a wonderful way to meet lots of friendly and interesting people
(as I can say I truly HAVE here on rec.radio.shortwave). Just from my
short time here, I can already feel a tremendous sense of camaraderie
amongst enthusiasts, and the willingness to offer each other guidance
and pass on one's knowledge is something I haven't experienced on
other discussions boards to date.

Well guys, I would really love to hear some of your stories - how long
have you been listening to shortwave, why did you start, and what are
some of your more memorable listening experiences?!

Kind regards and I hope everyone here has a fantastic day/evening,
Brian

I've been obsessed with radio since the early '60s. My parents thought
I was going through a phase. My first radio was a Truetone console,
with a Magic Eye and a 12" speaker.
Old August 6th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 6, 10:19 pm, dave wrote:

I've been obsessed with radio since the early '60s. My parents thought
I was going through a phase. My first radio was a Truetone console,
with a Magic Eye and a 12" speaker.

Dear Dave,

Wow, a Truetone eh! Now I have heard THEY were a classic
piece....beautifully built, solid and with a great sound too. Dave do
you still have it by any chance, would have to be worth a bit now as
an antique provided it was still in good condition wouldn't it? I have
read about the Zeniths and Silvertones being quite valuable and a
collector's piece. I have also spotted a wonderful old Fairbanks-
Morse, also with magic eye in my travels...gorgeous to look at even
though it was not in the best of condition.

Kind regards and have a great night,
BK

CAR SHORTWAVE RADIOS Syssinc Shortwave 2 January 27th 08 02:01 PM
Some 10 shortwave radios ... John Smith I Shortwave 4 March 3rd 07 02:28 AM
Shortwave Radios [email protected] Shortwave 0 January 1st 06 10:20 PM
TV Parts Shortwave Listener's Antenna for a 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios RHF Shortwave 0 February 8th 05 02:38 PM
Why cant I get anything on either of my Shortwave radios? Preesi Shortwave 32 January 26th 04 11:59 PM