Old January 23rd 04, 12:50 PM
Preesi

Default Why cant I get anything on either of my Shortwave radios?

I have 2 Shortwave radios, I scan the bands alot, and yet never get
anything!
I wanna get rtty, cw and SSTV and WEFAX. HELP!
What do I look for?
Do I need a book?

--

preesi

~~~My Mom and her Sister skip cheerily, arm and arm thru the crowded Mall
loudly singing "Sisters, Sisters" from the movie 'White Christmas' and you
wonder why Im a weirdo?~~~

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/preesi/Portal.htm
(All 5 Of My Sites Under One Easy To Use Link)
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Splenda1/petition.html
(Sign the Low Carb Splenda Petition-Get Liquid Splenda on the Market!)
http://www.petitiononline.com/KeepTWBS/petition.html
(A PETITION TO STOP THE CANCELLATION OF THE WAYNE BRADY SHOW)

Old January 23rd 04, 01:19 PM
N8KDV

Preesi wrote:

I have 2 Shortwave radios, I scan the bands alot, and yet never get
anything!
I wanna get rtty, cw and SSTV and WEFAX. HELP!
What do I look for?
Do I need a book?

What kind of receivers do you have? And what kind of decoder(s) do you have
for receiving those modes of transmission?

Old January 23rd 04, 01:36 PM
Preesi

N8KDV wrote:

What kind of receivers do you have? And what kind of decoder(s) do
you have for receiving those modes of transmission?

I have a Grundig Yacht Boy 400 and a Radio Shack DX-392.
I have WinXP and D/Led 2 proggies, SeaTTY (http://www.dxsoft.com), and
MMSSTV
(http://www.qsl.net/mmhamsoft/)

Plus I have this handy page: http://www.wunclub.com/sounds/index.html

I never hear anything but static!

preesi

Old January 23rd 04, 01:46 PM
Preesi

Diverd4777 wrote:
& What sort of antenna do you have, BTW . . .

The antennas that came with them!

Old January 23rd 04, 01:50 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Preesi" wrote in message
Diverd4777 wrote:
& What sort of antenna do you have, BTW . . .

The antennas that came with them!

Except on really outstanding days, those antennas are totally inadequate.

Old January 23rd 04, 01:53 PM
Dee D. Flint

"craigm" wrote in message

"Preesi" wrote in message
I have 2 Shortwave radios, I scan the bands alot, and yet never get
anything!
I wanna get rtty, cw and SSTV and WEFAX. HELP!
What do I look for?
Do I need a book?

--

preesi

You may need a book to determine the time and frequency of the desired
broadcasts. Google searchs should be able to find that info also.

For RTTY, CW, and SSTV, you need to be looking in the amateur radio bands.
If you go to http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg.../bandplan.html ,
the amateur radio band plans are listed. You will also need to study up on
what bands are most appropriate for the time of day that you are listening.
Some bands are good in the daytime while others are good at night.

Old January 23rd 04, 01:54 PM
N8KDV

Diverd4777 wrote:

& What sort of antenna do you have, BTW . . .

& what is your listening environment? What kind of building are you in?

Old January 23rd 04, 02:11 PM
Preesi

N8KDV wrote:
Diverd4777 wrote:

& What sort of antenna do you have, BTW . . .

& what is your listening environment? What kind of building are you
in?

A colonial house ontop a hill

Sneaking tiny radios into North Korea Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 November 13th 04 05:02 PM
Photos of China shortwave radios (and more!) Copperplate Equipment 15 February 21st 04 06:56 PM
Photos of China shortwave radios (and more!) Copperplate General 5 February 18th 04 08:30 PM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
how exactly do shortwave radio's work? Christopher Shortwave 5 August 28th 03 12:03 PM