Old August 29th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SB SB is offline

Default Advice sought on Sony ICF-SW40

All,

I have acquired a Sony ICF-SW40 radio. The rotary tuning knob on the
side of the unit is faulty. When I rotate it in a given direction,
the frequency setting doesn't change in a linear fashion but hops in
indiscriminantly sized steps in either direction up or down. This is
true for all three bands. Hence tuning is very unreliable.

How is the tuning wheel coupled inside the radio?

Could this be an issue with excess dirt / lack of lubricant in the
tuning mechanism?

Has anyone experienced this kind of problem before and how was it
solved?

Thanks
SB.

Old August 29th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SB wrote:
All,

I have acquired a Sony ICF-SW40 radio. The rotary tuning knob on the
side of the unit is faulty. When I rotate it in a given direction,
the frequency setting doesn't change in a linear fashion but hops in
indiscriminantly sized steps in either direction up or down. This is
true for all three bands. Hence tuning is very unreliable.

How is the tuning wheel coupled inside the radio?

Could this be an issue with excess dirt / lack of lubricant in the
tuning mechanism?

Has anyone experienced this kind of problem before and how was it
solved?

Thanks
SB.

Sounds like a rotary encoder. Could be a $5 repair if you do it yourself.
Old November 26th 14, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The encoder you need is an Alps EC11B15202AA. That is what was used in your ICF-SW40. You will find one on Ebay at a reasonable cost if you do a thorough search. Some big electronic wholesalers also have them listed.