Old September 8th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Latest DXpedition in South Africa

John Plimmer wrote:
Our latest DXpedition in south Africa at the lovely Jongensgat site is
at:
http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/jo...at_2009_08.doc

Excitingly Falklands Isl was heard here on MW for the first time.

Sadly my Kiwa MW Loop gave up the ghost and wouldn't work = pity after
20 years of outstanding service.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7600,
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A, Eton E100
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

John,
Sorry to hear about your Kiwa loop. What exactly went wrong? Great MW
catch there! I am always amazed at your BCB/DX! Which, of your many
radios, did you capture this DX on?
Old September 8th 09, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 8, 5:22*pm, Guy Caballero wrote:
John,
Sorry to hear about your Kiwa loop. *What exactly went wrong? *Great MW
catch there! *I am always amazed at your BCB/DX! *Which, of your many
radios, did you capture this DX on?

Well Guy I don't know what went wrong with my Kiwa Loop. Last out in
Seefontein last March it worked fine. Now at Jongensgat in September
it sounds "active" but none of the controls work and it won't pick up
any signals. I'm going to Atlanta now to see my son, but when I get
back in October I will e-mail Craig and see what can be done. It can't
be shipped back to him due to the huge costs of shipping from South
Africa.

Well the great catches come in due to the location, by the seaside and
the wonderful MW "sea gain" effect. We were all using beverage
antennas - Gary was using a tiny shirt pocket ultralight Sony, Vince
was using a Drake R8A (my old one that was wiped out by lightning -
another pal took it to Drake service in the U.S and they put new
motherboards in it).

I was using my new Icom IC-7600 (sold my 7700 and 756Pro3) - it's a
superb receiver and it's reception of the MW band in AM mode is just
awesome.

JP