Old September 21st 09, 08:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default First radio

Hello, I'm interested in trying shortwave listening. I have narrowed
my choices to the Kaito 1103, and Sony SW7600GR.

I would very much appreciate any opinions on which you prefer, and
why.

Also, is lack of wide/narrow switch on the Sony a problem?

Thanks.

Old September 21st 09, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 21, 3:38*am, JimK wrote:
Hello, I'm interested in trying shortwave listening. I have narrowed
my choices to the Kaito 1103, and Sony SW7600GR.

I would very much appreciate any opinions on which you prefer, and
why.

Also, is lack of wide/narrow switch on the Sony a problem?

Thanks.

I guess the choice of radios is based on what you like to listen to.
The Kaito is good for broadcasting on SW and the Sony is good for
Single sideband. Note that Sony is getting very hard to get parts for
if the radio goes bad. The Sony is more expensive than the Kaito. The
Sony is built sturdier. Get a chance to see and hadle both radios if
you can.
Mike
Old September 21st 09, 12:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

JimK wrote:
Hello, I'm interested in trying shortwave listening. I have narrowed
my choices to the Kaito 1103, and Sony SW7600GR.

I would very much appreciate any opinions on which you prefer, and
why.

Also, is lack of wide/narrow switch on the Sony a problem?

Thanks.

You're about 20 years too late. Shortwave broadcasting is dead.
Perhaps you'd enjoy utility monitoring; for that you'll need a better
radio.

Old September 21st 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:

You're about 20 years too late. Shortwave broadcasting is dead.
Perhaps you'd enjoy utility monitoring; for that you'll need a better
radio.

Maybe because I am on the other side of the world, I would dispute that.
Shortwave broadcasting is alive and well, but it's no longer the prefered
method of reaching distant audiences.

Broadcasters who want to reach a more affluent audience have moved to methods
of transmission which are cheaper to transmit, but more expensive to receive.
For example, Internet "broadcasting", satellite sub carriers, etc. They have
also moved to video broadcasting which can not be done by shortwave.

As Dave said, 20 years ago things were different. A cheap shortwave radio
with a short antenna, such as the built in whip, could receive broadcasts
from around the world, 24/7. Due to propigation, you would have to tune to
various frequencies, even when it was night where you were and daytime at the
source or vice versa.

The "biggies", BBC, VOA, AFRN (US millitary entertainment for distant bases),
Deutcshe Welle (Germany), Radio France International, Radio Moscow,
Radio Habana Cuba, HJCB (The Voice of the Andes) and so on. There was even
at one time a Shortwave broadcaster out of New Orleans, which often just
relayed their FM service.

Now most of them have scaled down, or left shortwave entirely.

For example, the BBC no longer "beams" their signal to North America, but you
can still receive it. Not as easily as before, which means you may need to be
more proactive about choosing when you listen and have a better antenna or
receiver. On the other hand, most of the people reading this will have access
to their streaming audio on the Internet, or via a local cable TV or DBS
service.

Many broadcasters use shortwave radio to reach populations that are too
distant and too poor to have broadband Internet, satellite receivers, etc.
Whether or not you would be able receive them at all, or with a cheap receiver
is questionable.

Geoff.

Old September 21st 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

JimK wrote:
Hello, I'm interested in trying shortwave listening. I have narrowed
my choices to the Kaito 1103, and Sony SW7600GR.

I would very much appreciate any opinions on which you prefer, and
why.

Also, is lack of wide/narrow switch on the Sony a problem?

Thanks.

Welcome to the hobby. SW listening is a shade of its former
self, but there's still plenty to snag. Lots to enjoy.

Radios....about any passable radio you buy will be a decent
start. It will not be the last one you buy. But what it will do is
get you active, so you can refine your interests, and then select a
radio that meets the needs of those interests. You'll also begin
experimenting with methods of improving reception: eliminating noise
sources, possibly experimenting with external antennae.

Any decent radio can get you into the hobby, and help you learn
the craft of radio.

Sony: 7600 is a popular radio. Not without reason. I personally
don't recommend Sony because of their service practices. If
something goes wrong, you can jump through many hoops, waste many
months (in one case I waited two years for a VCR to come back from
the Sony Service Center, with some great stories as to why it was
taking so damned long) waiting for a piece to be repaired, only to
be told after it all, that it was unrepairable, and that they'd be
glad to sell you a new product and give you pro rated credit for
your old one. Great sounding. In practice you end up spending about
150% more for a working radio than you thought you would.

So, I don't recommend any Sony product on that basis.

But if you're determined to go that way, then go with your eyes
open.

Wide/Narrow: This is probably a non-issue. There are a number of
ways that manufacturers execute selectable bandwidth. They can
actually switch in additional or alternate filters, which would be
the better way, or they can simply switch in or out additional
capacitance to roll off the upper end of the response curves. GRE
built radios for 'The Shack' (...what the F*CK are these people
thinking) would simply switch in some extra capacitance to roll off
the audio when you selected 'Narrow.' To switch in additional or
alternate filters costs money. And requires more stable, and a
finer, alignment...adding considerably to the cost of the radio.

And if the filters are selected correctly, especially on the
portable, narrower bandwidth is usually unnecessary, unless you're
in a crowded band pulling one CW operator out of many.

If the radio you select doesn't have a Wide/Narrow selector, you
probably won't miss it.

Features overall... The Sony has synchronous detection. A nice
feature. Very erratically executed across manufacturers. Sony
usually does it pretty well. Now, there are some radio hobbycraft
practitioners, and reviewers as well, who will tell you NEVER buy a
radio without a sync detector. Ignore them. These people are
dilletantes masquerading as high performance SWL'ers. The truth is
that sync is a nice feature. But not a necessity. And a good
operator with the radio of his choice can pull a decent listen out
of his signal of interest without it. Nice feature. Not a necessity.
And most sync detectors have enough quirks that you can do better
with ECSS than you can with sync. So look for a radio that can
detect single sideband (SSB.)

Tuning resolution should be pretty fine. For program listening,
you can get away with nearly a kilohertz. For ham/utilities, you'll
need something finer. 100Hz is passable, 50Hz is better. 10Hz is
good. But you'll need what's called a 'clarifier.' Many radios have
them. Many don't. A clarifier will enable you to zero in on a signal
in SSB, or ECSS for the best listening. Without it, you may get a
low level beat that can be really irritating.

Build quality should be good. You're going to beat this thing up
if you drag it with you where you go. And you'll want to take it out
of the city or town where you live for the lower noise figures
possible out in the woods. Lower noise means better hearing of low
level signals. Some decent DX is possible in the woods, without any
modifications or additional antenna.

The Sony offers a pretty decent product for the money in these
areas. Audio can be kind of harsh, though. And you will be listening
for long stretches.

The Kaito is a basic radio. Offering few of the advanced features
but it has more pleasant audio, and about the same sensitivity and
build as the Sony.

My personal choice would be the Kaito. Because it's not a Sony.
Your mileage may vary.

Recommendation: Go to a brick and mortar store and try each. Side
by side, if you can. Then find the best price and order your
selection on line.

Old September 21st 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

JimK wrote:
Hello, I'm interested in trying shortwave listening. I have narrowed
my choices to the Kaito 1103, and Sony SW7600GR.

I would very much appreciate any opinions on which you prefer, and
why.

Also, is lack of wide/narrow switch on the Sony a problem?

Thanks.

I strongly recommend against getting a mid-priced portable for your
first radio. They have very limited reception capabilities. You want
something with SSB and the ability to use a full antenna. Maybe a nice
used "tabletop" receiver.

Have you read "Passport to World Band Radio"?
Old September 21st 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Joe is offline

Dear Sir:

I recommend the Sony ICF-SW7600GR over the Kaito KA1103 for two
reasons:

1) The Sony is by far the more advanced-design radio. Even though its
basic design is now fifteen years old, no other manufacturer has yet
been able to duplicate its features and design in a compact portable
shortwave receiver.

2) While I agree that Sony "service" and "technical support" is
wretched at best, I believe that this "problem" is much exaggerated. I
currently own nine (9) Sony shortwave receivers - two ICF-SW35s, two
ICF-SW7600Gs, and five ICF-SW7600GRs. The only "problem" I have ever
had with any of them is, on one of my 'GRs, the whip antenna support
screw loosened and couldn't be totally tightened. The repair?
PartStoredotcom sells replacement antennas as well as just about any
part you could possibly need and their prices are as fair as possible
(Sony parts are never cheap). As you can easily obtain a service
manual for the '7600GR online - and for free! - any competent service
company can work on your radio should the occasion arise. (Replacing
the antenna, in my case, took less than one minute and the only tool
necessary was a small Phillips-head screwdriver.)

I do not believe that you could get parts/service any easier, if at
all, with the Kaito radio, as good and as inexpensive as it is. I have
found that, in general, Chinese-made products do not have the same
longevity as do Japanese-made ones (and the Sony ICF-SW7600GR is
indeed still made in Japan).

Some users have reported that the Kaito KA1103 is slightly more
sensitive off its whip than is the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. But this is a
moot point as I, and I believe most serious shortwave listeners, will
use an external shortwave antenna except in the most casual of
situations. I myself almost never use the whip, much preferring to use
the Sony AN-LP1 Active Antenna with my radio. After all, if you are
searching the shortwaves, you want the best possible performance from
your receiver and, with an external antenna, the Sony is the equal of
any other compact portable shortwave receiver in sensitivity - and
often their superior due to its exceptional (for a portable) dynamic
range with an external antenna.

And finally, with its advanced circuitry such as its synchronous
detection circuit, the Sony can often "bring in" signals which often
would be unlistenable on other receivers - and this can apply to MW
broadcasts as well (if not transmitting with IBOC). Two bandwidths are
nice (and I do wish the Sony had them) but they pale in removing
interference from one sideband in comparison with a good sync circuit.
(If you don't like sync on a particular station, you can always turn
it off.) The Sony's ECSS performance (using SSB to listen to a
station) and, of course, its SSB performance is second-to-none in its
class.

The above arguments represent my opinion only; I know that others may
disagree. But I have owned my Sony's for many years now and I use all
of them heavily. (My oldest 'G is from 1998 and my oldest 'GR is from
2001; my newest 'GRs are from 2005.) I must state that I have never
owned a Kaito KA1103 but, in trying out the Grundig G5 for about 20
minutes a couple of years ago at a local Radio Shack, a radio based on
the Kaito's circuitry, I was unimpressed both with the Grundig's build
quality and its performance (its sound quality was much better than
the Sony's, of course, but that is easily corrected, should one so
desire, by using external amplified [computer] speakers).

I hope the above gives you some food for thought.

Best,

Joe

Old September 21st 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 21, 3:38*am, JimK wrote:
Hello, I'm interested in trying shortwave listening. I have narrowed
my choices to the Kaito 1103, and Sony SW7600GR.

I would very much appreciate any opinions on which you prefer, and
why.

Also, is lack of wide/narrow switch on the Sony a problem?

Thanks.

Hi "Jim." It is astounding to me that many people
that post in here according to the archives, have
simply ( again, according to the archives) never
posted anything in their "history" of posting
on usenet.

Kind of strange in my opinion. Just saying. ;-)
Old September 21st 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 21, 3:38�am, JimK wrote:
Hello, I'm interested in trying shortwave listening. I have narrowed
my choices to the Kaito 1103, and Sony SW7600GR.

I would very much appreciate any opinions on which you prefer, and
why.

Also, is lack of wide/narrow switch on the Sony a problem?

Thanks.

I would try the analog-tuned Kaito WRX911 - great little radio for
around $25.