Old October 9th 09, 07:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default First listening, couple questions

Well I received my sony AN-LP1 Antenna, and tried it with my G5
tonight. It made Radio Havanah go from noisy to very clear with little
static.

However, this and other stations wax and wane in strength, even though
it seems the radio is picking up the station well. Does this have a
name? Anything I can do about it?

Thanks. Just being able to get additional news stations make this
worthwhile.

Jim

Old October 9th 09, 02:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

JimK wrote:
Well I received my sony AN-LP1 Antenna, and tried it with my G5
tonight. It made Radio Havanah go from noisy to very clear with little
static.

However, this and other stations wax and wane in strength, even though
it seems the radio is picking up the station well. Does this have a
name? Anything I can do about it?

Thanks. Just being able to get additional news stations make this
worthwhile.

Jim

It's called selective fading. You must replace the distant carrier with
a stable local one. You can use an SSB receiver precisely tuned, or
find one with Synchronous Detection. Like I said, a real radio.
Old October 10th 09, 08:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 9, 7:06*am, dave wrote:
JimK wrote:
Well I received my sony AN-LP1 Antenna, and tried it with my G5
tonight. It made Radio Havanah go from noisy to very clear with little
static.

However, this and other stations wax and wane in strength, even though
it seems the radio is picking up the station well. Does this have a
name? Anything I can do about it?

Thanks. Just being able to get additional news stations make this
worthwhile.

Jim

It's called selective fading. *You must replace the distant carrier with
a stable local one. *You can use an SSB receiver precisely tuned, or
find one with Synchronous Detection. *Like I said, a real radio.

I see I did post twice, sorry. Odd I could not find my first post.

Thanks for the responses. Well, I am wondering then if I should invest
in something like the E1. Dave, is that a "real radio?"

Jim

Old October 11th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

JimK wrote:
On Oct 9, 7:06 am, dave wrote:
JimK wrote:
[...]

Yes. It will all but eliminate selective fading distortion and replace
it with a gentle sweeping flange. WARNING: You need to use a sync
detector with BOTH sidebands to listen to an IBOC MW station. Not all
sync detectors are capable of this. You can't listen to an IBOC station
in ECSS either.
Old October 11th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:
Yes. It will all but eliminate selective fading distortion and replace
it with a gentle sweeping flange. WARNING: You need to use a sync
detector with BOTH sidebands to listen to an IBOC MW station. Not all
sync detectors are capable of this. You can't listen to an IBOC station
in ECSS either.

If such a station was far enough away to present fading
wouldn't that be far enough to render the sideband noise a moot issue?

The digital stuff is in both sidebands and 180 degrees out of phase with
itself. A simple detector sums to zero; a selectable sideband detector
hears the digital crap along with the analog.

Old October 11th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:
Yes. It will all but eliminate selective fading distortion and
replace it with a gentle sweeping flange. WARNING: You need to use a
sync detector with BOTH sidebands to listen to an IBOC MW station.
Not all sync detectors are capable of this. You can't listen to an
IBOC station in ECSS either.

If such a station was far enough away to present fading wouldn't that
be far enough to render the sideband noise a moot issue?

The digital stuff is in both sidebands and 180 degrees out of phase with
itself. A simple detector sums to zero; a selectable sideband detector
hears the digital crap along with the analog.

Listen to KFI go wubba wubba wubba...