Old February 3rd 04, 10:34 PM
Nick

Default A couple of Sony 7600GR questions

Hi, I have a 7600GR that I use for utility monitoring. It's all my
budget would allow at the time and I've been quite happy with it. I
was thinking of trading up to a s/h receiver like an R2000 or FRG100
etc, however, I have heard people say that when connected to a decent
antenna, there is not much between any of these radios performance
wise. Is this about right or would I notice much better performance
from a FRG100? (I appreciate the extra facilities on these radios, but
I just want to compare like with like).

Secondly, when using the ext antenna input on the 7600GR, would it be
a 50ohm balanced input or a 300ohm non-balanced one? I use a long wire
and want to know if a balun would be worth buying...

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Old February 4th 04, 09:01 AM
Andy Bown

Hi

I own an SW7600GR and an FRG-100. As you're keen on utility listening
I have to say that the FRG-100 is far superior for this type of
listening when compared to the 7600GR. For programme listening the
SW7600GR does almost as good a job as the FRG-100, but on SSB and CW
there is no comparison. Not only are the dynamic range and overload
resistance much better, therefore allowing the use of better antennas,
but the tuning steps on the FRG-100 are 10 Hz on the Yaesu, whereas
the thumb wheel on the Sony is very fiddly in comparison. Also you
have adjustable offset and better filters.

I would really recommend the upgrade if you can afford it. Although
the Sony does well on SSB compared to most other travel portables, the
Yaesu is a true communications receiver. I'm sure you'd notice a big
difference.

Cheers

Andy
Old February 5th 04, 04:45 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Nick schrieb:

Hi, I have a 7600GR that I use for utility monitoring. It's all my
budget would allow at the time and I've been quite happy with it. I
was thinking of trading up to a s/h receiver like an R2000 or FRG100
etc, however, I have heard people say that when connected to a decent
antenna, there is not much between any of these radios performance
wise. Is this about right or would I notice much better performance
from a FRG100?

The FRG100 in particular is supposed to be an excellent "ute" set that
shines in SSB. (Just too bad it has no direct input facility, though a
3rd party keyboard accessory is available. Also, you'll need a matching
power supply.) Should be noticeably superior to the 7600GR, which gets
in trouble in crowded ham bands due to its (for this purpose) wide IF
filter and also sounds a bit muddy on weak stations. Given roughly equal
signal levels, a "real" receiver like my AR7030 can squeeze out quite a
bit more intelligibility. Much quieter frequency synth is probably the
reason.

Secondly, when using the ext antenna input on the 7600GR, would it be
a 50ohm balanced input or a 300ohm non-balanced one?

I think the EXT ANT input is more in the 75 ohm range, so I'd use a low
impedance feed. Since you are in the UK, I would very much recommend
using an antenna tuner, the receiver is easily overloaded otherwise.
(The Yaesu, on the contrary, can also be used on rather big antennas
with no intermod problems.)

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, ATI AGP 32 MiB, 110W

The main problem with Ham radio... Observer Policy 59 February 1st 04 07:43 PM
FS: Sony 7600GR DeWayne Shortwave 1 January 17th 04 05:43 AM
Reducing or eliminating Sony 7600GR beep? or 7600G? Guy Vanoverbeke Shortwave 0 December 28th 03 10:59 PM
FS: Sony 7600GR Portable SW/FM receiver - Immaculate G24017 Shortwave 1 November 4th 03 05:05 AM
Sony 7600GR Cell Phones and Amish The Dawn Soliloquy Shortwave 1 September 8th 03 01:59 PM