Old October 15th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default RP2100/CC Crane SW

Yesterday we had one of our frequent powerouts lasting nine hours. The
only radio that can keep me in touch on those days is the Redsun
RP2100. It is the only radio I own that will pick up my news/talk AM
MW station from Cape Town 120 miles away. All my other radios are
useless, including my new Grundig G8 Traveller II - I think I wasted
my money.

Also the RP2100 is the only radio that will pick up the far distant FM
that comes in over two high mountain ranges when my local TX is down.

It's not the best on HF SW but does reliably pick up BBC all the time.

I'm happier with my RP2100 than any other portable I ever owned,
including a Sony 2010.
It's got lovely audio too - I think it's a good buy for $150, although
I only paid $100 when I got it direct from China.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7600,
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A, Eton E100
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old October 15th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
John Plimmer wrote:
Yesterday we had one of our frequent powerouts lasting nine hours. The
only radio that can keep me in touch on those days is the Redsun
RP2100. It is the only radio I own that will pick up my news/talk AM
MW station from Cape Town 120 miles away. All my other radios are
useless, including my new Grundig G8 Traveller II - I think I wasted
my money.

Also the RP2100 is the only radio that will pick up the far distant FM
that comes in over two high mountain ranges when my local TX is down.

It's not the best on HF SW but does reliably pick up BBC all the time.

I'm happier with my RP2100 than any other portable I ever owned,
including a Sony 2010.
It's got lovely audio too - I think it's a good buy for $150, although
I only paid $100 when I got it direct from China.

The RP2100/CCR-SWP is a very nice little radio. It's only real faults are
the digital volume control and a propensity for birdies/artifacts on MW.

While the sensitivity of the PL-300wt/G8 can be variable on AM depending
on alignment (and it really is a dog on SW and LW), it's surprising to
hear that the Redsun out-performed it on FM. The Tecsun has the hottest
front end ever on FM - a feature all the new DSP-based Tecsun and Kchibo
portables seem to share.

First reviews on the Tecsun PL-310 are out, and they are very positive.
This is the DSP-based update of the famous PL-200/Eton E100 (which your
Redsun is basically a copy of). I have one on the way!

Old October 15th 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Mike S. wrote:

In article ,
John Plimmer wrote:
[...]

Woops.

Mea culpa.

I'm confusing the large CCR-SW which you have, with the much smaller SWP.
With its larger antennae it's certainly expected that it would out-perform
a pocket-sized radio on sensitivity.

Old October 15th 09, 10:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 15, 2:42*am, (Mike S.) wrote:
Woops.

Mea culpa.

I'm confusing the large CCR-SW which you have, with the much smaller SWP.
With its larger antennae it's certainly expected that it would out-perform
a pocket-sized radio on sensitivity.- Hide quoted text -

I indeed have the large CC Radio SW. I tested it again more carefully
with my other radios on three very weak far distant FM stations. The
average result out of 5 was:
4.3 RP2100
4.0 GR8
3.7 Drake SW8
2.3 E100

The RP2100 is hot man, but the Grundig G8 is not far behind and way,
way ahead of the equivalent E100.

JP
Old October 15th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 02:22:32 -0700 (PDT), John Plimmer
wrote:

On Oct 15, 2:42*am, (Mike S.) wrote:
Woops.

Mea culpa.

I'm confusing the large CCR-SW which you have, with the much smaller SWP.
With its larger antennae it's certainly expected that it would out-perform
a pocket-sized radio on sensitivity.- Hide quoted text -

I indeed have the large CC Radio SW. I tested it again more carefully
with my other radios on three very weak far distant FM stations. The
average result out of 5 was:
4.3 RP2100
4.0 GR8
3.7 Drake SW8
2.3 E100

The RP2100 is hot man, but the Grundig G8 is not far behind and way,
way ahead of the equivalent E100.

JP

I have the CCRADIO SW, and love it. I got the MFJ-1045C preselector,
and it is even better. I'll look up a time and freq in Passport...,
tune it in, tweak the preselector, and bingo! there it is on the
CCRADIO SW.

I'm very happy with it.

Old October 15th 09, 07:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
CF CF is offline

John Plimmer wrote:
[...]

John,
Sometimes it works out that way, all the expensive bells and whistles go
for naught, and the simple things work like charms! My CCrane/2100 is
also a great signal grabber. Of course, I have old boatanchors that I
love to play with, but I am finding that I can get more AM/DX with the
CCrane and its built in dual ferrite antenna. Have you gotten your Kiwa
Loop back on line? How did you enjoy your time in Atlanta?
Take care,
Bob
Old October 15th 09, 10:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 15, 8:21*am, CF wrote:
John,
Sometimes it works out that way, all the expensive bells and whistles go
for naught, and the simple things work like charms! *My CCrane/2100 is
also a great signal grabber. *Of course, I have old boatanchors that I
love to play with, but I am finding that I can get more AM/DX with the
CCrane and its built in dual ferrite antenna. *Have you gotten your Kiwa
Loop back on line? *How did you enjoy your time in Atlanta?
Take care,
Bob-

Bob, yes we had a great time in Atlanta and my son and daughter in law
looked after us like royalty. Our little eight month old grandson was
great as well. The floods were scary and we nearly got caught one day,
but my daughter in law got us safely away after the creeks came up. A
great pity that ten died in the floods.

Only setback is that awful long flight of seventeen hours in cattle
class, and Delta have stripped out all cabin service so all you can do
is watch the entertainment.

The Kiwa loop is still sitting next to the shack waiting for me to
attend to it = just lazy and much to do since I got back.

JP
Old October 30th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"John Plimmer" wrote in message
[...]

Hi John,
Many thanks for your evaluation of this radio. I picked one up
the other day and I must say I am really impressed with its performance .

Regards,
bmc

C. Crane Aezael Shortwave 2 September 27th 08 01:00 AM
C. Crane J. B. Wood Shortwave 3 September 24th 08 09:38 PM
How do you fix the Redsun RP2100? mpd Shortwave 22 January 18th 07 03:14 PM
Redsun RP2100 more John Plimmer Shortwave 9 September 1st 06 04:18 AM