Old November 23rd 09, 09:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Will SW radios become obsolete?

dxace1 wrote:

As someone who has worked in the international broadcasting field for
more than 30 years, it's my opinion that shortwave, used for
international broadcasting, will indeed pass away.

It's certainly no joy for me to say that, as I was one of those group
of kids who grew up with SW in his veins -- and in fact, I still have
the addiction even in these days of rapid decline for SW.

But there is just no way that ANYONE in coming years will choose SW
over other broadcast media. And the promise of DRM has faded as well.

As a Perseus owner, I have to say that even SDR (Software Defined
Radios), in so far as they are used to receive shortwave broadcasts,
are already becoming pretty much useless given rapidly declining number
of broadcasts available -- perhaps Amateur Radio Operators and
intelligence agencies will continue to find SDR useful.

I predict it will pretty much be WIFI/Internet delivery, leaving those
of us who cut our teeth with DX-160's, SONYs and Hammarlunds, riding
what remains of SWBC until the end.

Sorry to be such a downer, but that's the reality. On the bright side,
just think of how many great radios will be available for a song!

And ride it to the end we shall!

From one Djibouti traveller to another, good to hear from you!

dxAce (2)

Old November 23rd 09, 09:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In message 4b0c0593.9839312@chupacabra, Bob Dobbs
writes
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

In some parts of the world there is a new 5mHz ham band, but I don't think
it came from SWBC allocation.

If you're talking about the 60m HAM band,
it's only five 'channels' in an otherwise ute band.

Not in Norway, it isn't any longer. They have just been granted access
to the whole band. They now have a secondary allocation at 5.260 to
5.410MHz, all modes with a 6kHz maximum bandwidth.
http://www.cqhq.co.uk/2009/11/norway-on-5mhz.html
http://cqhq.wordpress.com/2009/11/07/60m-band-for-norway/

All USB and power restricted.
http://60meters.net/

--
Ian

Old November 23rd 09, 10:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Bob Dobbs wrote:

dxace1 wrote:
On the bright side,
just think of how many great radios will be available for a song!

How 'great' is a box that lights up, makes static sounds, and little else?

Bob, it would be somewhat of an improvement for you, would it not?

I've got some rather decent SW radio equipment
so I don't know what you're referring to,
but that's not an unusual result of your babble.

Sorry, I thought you were still operating that 23 channel box.

Apologies.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 23rd 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 22, 12:23*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

TMT

I doubt SW will ever become totally obsolete. It's enough cheaper to
recieve (compared to satelite or Internet transmission) that
broadcasts to the developing world are likely to continue for a long
time and it's enough cheaper to transmit (for semi-developed countries
like Russia which have all the gear, but don't have massive amounts of
dirt-cheap Internet bandwidth capacity) that they'll continue
broadcasting for quite some time too. It's a shame that the great
Western European broadcasters no longer beam a signal at North
America, but as long as you stay away from the new and just listen to
the music and cultural programming, stuff like Voice of Russia, RCI
and Radio Havan is pretty fun.

Mike
Old November 24th 09, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 09:23:10 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

TMT

As soon as all the people in the third world get computers and broadband
connections you will see SWL broadcasting go away. We will see a lot less
of English broadcasts to NA, but plenty of broadcasts to other parts of
the world that don't use the English language.

--
Best Regards, Keith
http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/

Old November 27th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 22, 6:48�pm, dave wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , dxAce
writes

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

Nah, always something of interest out there.

Not if insidious growth of BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) or PLT
(Power Line Telecommunications) continues unchecked.

The ARRL is representing some of us in this matter.- Hide quoted text -

"Court Finds FCC Violated APA in BPL Decision"

"In its decision, the Court agreed with the ARRL that the FCC had
failed to comply with the Administrative Procedure Act (APA)... ARRL
President Joel Harrison, W5ZN, concluded: 'I am very pleased that the
Court saw through the FCC's smoke screen and its withholding of valid
engineering data that may contradict their position that the
interference potential of BPL to Amateur Radio and public safety
communications is minimal.'"

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2008/04/25/10064/?nc=1

Those criminals at the FCC got caught with their pants down.
Old November 27th 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 22, 7:48�pm, dxace1 wrote:
[...]

"Death of Digital Radio Mondiale in 2008 as well?"

"From both formal and informal discussions among participants at the
HFCC, it is now clear that the proposed DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale)
system, that would have converted analogue Shortwave to digital, FM
like quality reception would hardly be implemented if ever on a large
scale, beyond the current experimental stage."

http://tinyurl.com/b6z5lr

Thank goodness - there are a lot less running DRM, only a couple:

http://home.centurytel.net/danielsampson/america.txt

Old January 7th 18, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sunday, November 22, 2009 at 12:23:10 PM UTC-5, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

TMT

The only thing left in short wave are the the old nostalgic listeners stuck in the past remembering the old days after that is all long gone, they are the same guys buying these radios from China been so cheap nowadays. In a few years after they are gone short wave will be nothing more than an anachronistic curiosity for historians and sentimentalists.

Old January 7th 18, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message

On Sunday, November 22, 2009 at 12:23:10 PM UTC-5, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

I think shortwave will become more like scanning or longwave, in that
it will be more about trying to listen to radio signals from other
countries, rather than trying to listen to content not aimed at North
America but already available on the Internet.