Old January 7th 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default I bought me an Elecraft K3

This will likely be my last solar max, why not go with the best?

Old January 7th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 7, 2:19*pm, dave wrote:
This will likely be my last solar max, why not go with the best?

Aah! - spending the childrens inheritence eh?
Enjoy and have fun - good wishes

Not sure it's the best all round - certainly is on CW, but for AM
DXing in MW and HF there are others that are better.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7600, Perseus SDR
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A, Redsun RP2100
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Grundig G8, Eton E100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
Old January 7th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Plimmer wrote:
On Jan 7, 2:19 pm, wrote:
This will likely be my last solar max, why not go with the best?

Aah! - spending the childrens inheritence eh?
Enjoy and have fun - good wishes

Not sure it's the best all round - certainly is on CW, but for AM
DXing in MW and HF there are others that are better.

http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

It has a synchronous detector for AM, but you need to spend an extra
$250 for a wide roofing filter and a general coverage filter set. I'm
just going to use it for low power digital modes. I got the optional 8
pole 400 Hz crystal filer after the first mixer. This means I no longer
have to worry about some bung-hole using 100 Watts for psk31
obliterating the rest of the band segment for me. The AGC is after the
narrow filter; hence no desense. It also has the stock 2.7 kHz SSB filter.

For MWDX I'd use an FFT SDR. They are very cheap. (BTW, the K3 will
interface with some of these and allow you to use PowerSDR with the K3)

www.pskreporter.info

http://ka7ark.com/PowerSDR/ScreenShots.html

Old January 8th 10, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 7, 6:19*am, dave wrote:
This will likely be my last solar max, why not go with the best?

You dog. I bet you're really going to enjoy that piece. Congrats,
maybe post some of what you're doing with it in here.
Old January 8th 10, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gregg wrote:
On Jan 7, 6:19 am, wrote:
This will likely be my last solar max, why not go with the best?

You dog. I bet you're really going to enjoy that piece. Congrats,
maybe post some of what you're doing with it in here.

OK

I'm already enjoying it, and it hasn't arrived yet. It's just the 10
Watt version with one option (400 Hz 8 pole filter). The nice thing
about it is that you can add a lot of features, but for what I spent you
can still get the best analog RF performance of any receiver, regardless
of price.

I'm going to have an entry level Ten-Tec 516 for sale shortly.

Old January 9th 10, 02:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Last night, I moved my old junk box toggle switch (On/Off switch) on the
back of my G.E.Superadio to the top of the radio.The original push
button on top of that radio crapped out a few years after I bought that
radio at a Service Merchandise store back in the 1970s or 1980s,
whenever it was.

While I was doing that, one of the speaker wires broke off on the
speaker, so I soldered the wire back on to the speaker.
cuhulin

Old January 9th 10, 12:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 8, 4:52*am, dave wrote:
Gregg wrote:
On Jan 7, 6:19 am, *wrote:
This will likely be my last solar max, why not go with the best?

* You dog. I bet you're really going to enjoy that piece. Congrats,
maybe post some of what you're doing with it in here.

OK

I'm already enjoying it, and it hasn't arrived yet. It's just the 10
Watt version with one option (400 Hz 8 pole filter). *The nice thing
about it is that you can add a lot of features, but for what I spent you
can still get the best analog RF performance of any receiver, regardless
of price.

I'm going to have an entry level Ten-Tec 516 for sale shortly.

Yeah, I've read up on all the computer control receivers. At first I
didn't like the concept at all, IMO kind of like fishing with live
bait. Of course you're going to catch fish with live bait because
that's what they eat, I like the idea of bringing a rubber worm to
life or bringing a top water lure to life. But both catch the fish,
that is kind of my analogy of the two.

I want to get back to copying the weather faxes, I think that's a kick
for some reason - - and then go on from there. I need to dedicate one
of my hard drives just for radidio.:-)

Old January 9th 10, 12:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 8, 6:41*pm, wrote:
Last night, I moved my old junk box toggle switch (On/Off switch) on the
back of my G.E.Superadio to the top of the radio.The original push
button on top of that radio crapped out a few years after I bought that
radio at a Service Merchandise store back in the 1970s or 1980s,
whenever it was.

While I was doing that, one of the speaker wires broke off on the
speaker, so I soldered the wire back on to the speaker.
cuhulin

Toggle switches IMO are where it's at - - those and different type of
LEDS. I love the look of my two add on
toggles on the front of the DX394 and of course my Hammarlunds have
plenty of them.

Old January 9th 10, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gregg wrote:
On Jan 8, 4:52 am, wrote:
Gregg wrote:
On Jan 7, 6:19 am, wrote:
[...]

The K3 is a traditional radio. No computer required unless you want.

It has the best receiver ever. That is why I bought it.

Old January 9th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have a Beanie cap I bought for thirty five cents (thirty seven cents,
inluding Mississippi RIP OFF sales tax) at the Goodwill store
http://www.shopgoodwill.com a bunch of years ago, it has a plastic
propellar on top of the cap, I never wear that stupid lookin cap
though.Maybe I will add a toggle switch to the top of my stupid Beanie
cap.
cuhulin, the toggle switch