Old January 19th 10, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default End of the road for shortwave?

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/124187
Old January 20th 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I hope not. I was into shortwave 30 years ago and returned six years ago. I
hope it continues; it's one of my main sources of international news.

slade

Interesting article. Definitely explains why there are a lot less signals
now than in the 70s

"Al Fansome" wrote in message
m...
http://www.radio.cz/en/article/124187

Old January 20th 10, 01:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Slade Henson wrote:
I hope not. I was into shortwave 30 years ago and returned six years
ago. I hope it continues; it's one of my main sources of international
news.

slade

Interesting article. Definitely explains why there are a lot less
signals now than in the 70s

"Al Fansome" wrote in message
m...
http://www.radio.cz/en/article/124187

You obviously have the internet. Why wouldn't you get international
news via it, rather than fuzzy old HFBC, which went out with the Berlin
Wall.
Old January 20th 10, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:
Slade Henson wrote:
I hope not. I was into shortwave 30 years ago and returned six years
ago. I hope it continues; it's one of my main sources of international
news.

slade

Interesting article. Definitely explains why there are a lot less
signals now than in the 70s

"Al Fansome" wrote in message
m...
http://www.radio.cz/en/article/124187

You obviously have the internet. Why wouldn't you get international
news via it, rather than fuzzy old HFBC, which went out with the Berlin
Wall.

For old times sake?

Because it's there?

I buy newspapers, I watch television, I get online and I also listen to
shortwave. The good thing about radio is that it can just "happen" in
the background while you are doing something else. Newspapers, TV, and
to some extent, the internet, are less amenable to that.

Radio has a certain charm about it that the internet does not. Maybe it
is simply the fact that the internet makes it all too easy.

Anyway, one really big plus is that the radio doesn't chew up my
internet bandwidth!

Krypsis

Old January 20th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What is with these naysayers on a shortwave newsgroup who are
anti-shortwave?
I'm scratching my head to try to figure out why guys that are so AGAINST
something
bother with lurking around in the shadows of a newsgroup devoted to a
specific topic.

Every time one of these doomsday posts appears the creeps crawl out of the
woodwork and bad rap shortwave radio which, incidentally, is healthy and
thriving. If you look at the
article source it came from "CZ" land...so maybe in "CZ" things have changed
with domestic shortwave
but during the last year there has been countless new outlets and and
expanded shortwave coverage
appear throughout the globe.

Pay no attention to such nonsense. Regardless of what the overzealous
techno-cheerleaders
would like us all to believe, the world is not only comprised of
industrialized nations full of
brainwashed people who've let themselves become hypnotized by the Internet.
The frail and
choking Internet is rife with mushrooming problems and the portability and
ready-access to
shortwave will continue to thrive. Many countries in even the last year have
realized this and
have increased their shortwave facilities and schedules.

Old January 20th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/19/2010 5:10 PM, Al Fansome wrote:
http://www.radio.cz/en/article/124187

OH NO! Al "the bringer of death" Fansome. Please Al, don't Fansomeize
shortwave. and, for the uninformed, Mr. Fansome is not bring shortwave
down, he is just passing on an a news article.

Drifter...
Old January 20th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Carl wrote:
Every time one of these doomsday posts appears the creeps crawl out of the
woodwork and bad rap shortwave radio which, incidentally, is healthy and
thriving. If you look at the
article source it came from "CZ" land...so maybe in "CZ" things have changed
with domestic shortwave
but during the last year there has been countless new outlets and and
expanded shortwave coverage
appear throughout the globe.

IMHO the article is a very nice explanation why they are reducing their
shortwave broadcasts. It's spun (spinned?) that they are doing it because
everyone else is doing it, which is not really true.

Many places are doing it because there are a lot better and cheaper ways of
reaching their audience. At one time radio was the new, better and cheaper
(for the producer) way. Now there are lots of others.

BUT it does not mean that everyone, or even most producers are doing it.

Sorry guys, while you were using the internet to pirate music and video,
the rest of the world was taking over the air waves. The world really is
not all the US and the EU.

If you think so, go to Radio China's English web site and look at their
coverage and schedule, there's more there than the BBC has had in a
very long time.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Old January 20th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Carl wrote:
[...]

Such as?

I have nothing against shortwave radio. In fact, I spent $2k last week
on a shortwave radio. HFBC is dead. Not shortwave. Not radio. HFBC.

www.vpr.net carries the World Service on a dialup friendly low-fi stream.
Old January 20th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:

Shortwave versus the internet - I've never caught a cyber virus from my short
wave radio, heard lots of infected prattle from the xians, but tuning away or
turning it off sure is easier than a format and restore.

I use Puppy Linux whenever possible.

I like the BBC a lot. When I lived in Texas and they were slamming 250
KW at the Americas from Ascension back in the '80s, I could easily hear
the air handlers in Bush House on my 2010. That was fantastic audio.

Now I listen to the World Service on satellite or the web, and I find
other amazing things to listen to on the radio (like really weak
stations 9,000 miles away).
Old January 21st 10, 01:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 20, 5:16*am, dave wrote:
Slade Henson wrote:
I hope not. I was into shortwave 30 years ago and returned six years
ago. I hope it continues; it's one of my main sources of international
news.

slade

Interesting article. Definitely explains why there are a lot less
signals now than in the 70s

"Al Fansome" wrote in message
om...
http://www.radio.cz/en/article/124187

You obviously have the internet. *Why wouldn't you get international
news via it, rather than fuzzy old HFBC, which went out with the Berlin
Wall.

Dave - not trying to sound like a jerk, but why do you always put down
shortwave on a shortwave newsgroup of all places? Inquiring minds want
to know. :-)

------Cinder Road------- Izzy Shortwave 0 March 29th 07 11:13 PM
Hey Road Warrior I Am Not George CB 73 May 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Hey Road Worrier..... Frank Gilliland CB 5 April 23rd 04 12:15 AM
Hey Road Worrier..... Frank Gilliland CB 0 April 22nd 04 12:23 PM
Set up on Off-road rig John Henry CB 0 July 9th 03 01:07 PM