Old February 10th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Recommendations - 12 / 13.8v Power Supply, ~ 5 amp?

Hi, folks - If you please, I am looking for recommendations for a PS
that will provide the usual 12 or 13.8v, about 5 - 7 amps be plenty.
Love to get rid of the myriad 500 ma wall-warts. I'd rather not have
it be too expensive, but it would be nice if it didn't send spikes,
blow up or cause hash or electrical hum. Any thoughts? There is a
plethora of manufacturers and models, reviews are all over the place,
I have no idea which ones are OK. Pyramid makes a 5-amp job that
would be great, if it's any good. I also see Radio Shack PSs at about
twice that current. Would a switching PS be better?

Thanks in advance ~

Bruce Jensen
Old February 10th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2/10/10 12:38 , bpnjensen wrote:
Hi, folks - If you please, I am looking for recommendations for a PS
that will provide the usual 12 or 13.8v, about 5 - 7 amps be plenty.
Love to get rid of the myriad 500 ma wall-warts. I'd rather not have
it be too expensive, but it would be nice if it didn't send spikes,
blow up or cause hash or electrical hum. Any thoughts? There is a
plethora of manufacturers and models, reviews are all over the place,
I have no idea which ones are OK. Pyramid makes a 5-amp job that
would be great, if it's any good. I also see Radio Shack PSs at about
twice that current. Would a switching PS be better?

Thanks in advance ~

Bruce Jensen

A switching supply may actually become another source of hash,
depending on shielding, which usually, isn't so good. There are
measures to attenuate the noise, though. It takes some doing.
Definitely not plug an play, if noise is a issue.

I replaced my wall warts in the radio room with an Astron VS-20M.
Serious power. Serious regulation. Very clean power. Nice listening.

Go to MCMelectronics.com and look at some of the Tenma supplies.
Cost effective, and they do what you need.

There are dozens of other makes.

Things to look for:

Voltage range.

Range of current delivery and at what voltages max current is
available.

Meters for both current and voltage are nice. (Volt meter more
important than current meter. If you dial up the right voltage, the
radios will only take the current they need. Anything beyond a
modest current reserve can be dialed back for safety. Without a
current meter, if you dial back the current output of the power
supply below the draw, you'll see a voltage drop at the radio.)

Lots of cooling vents.

Heavy input cable.

30A binding posts at the output.

You can even find a good power supply used on e-Bay.

Old February 10th 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 10, 10:55*am, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote:
[...]

Thanks Peter - I had a feeling you'd have some good info on this :-)
Old February 10th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2/10/10 13:11 , bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 10, 10:55 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah. I'm just full of it.

Old February 10th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

[...]

I use an Astron RS-20M here to power the Drake R7.

Old February 10th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2/10/10 16:41 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

I replaced my wall warts in the radio room with an Astron VS-20M.
Serious power. Serious regulation. Very clean power. Nice listening.

I use an Astron RS-20M here to power the Drake R7.

May be where I got the idea.

It's a great PS.
Old February 11th 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 10, 3:08*pm, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote:
On 2/10/10 16:41 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:
* * I replaced my wall warts in the radio room with an Astron VS-20M.
Serious power. Serious regulation. Very clean power. Nice listening.

I use an Astron RS-20M here to power the Drake R7.

* *May be where I got the idea.

* *It's a great PS.

You could probably power a dozen R7s with 20 amps!. I'm shooting for
the Astron 7 amp job - that should tide me over.
Old February 11th 10, 03:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2/10/10 21:34 , bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 10, 3:08 pm, "D. Peter
wrote:
On 2/10/10 16:41 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:
I replaced my wall warts in the radio room with an Astron VS-20M.
Serious power. Serious regulation. Very clean power. Nice listening.

I use an Astron RS-20M here to power the Drake R7.

May be where I got the idea.

It's a great PS.

You could probably power a dozen R7s with 20 amps!. I'm shooting for
the Astron 7 amp job - that should tide me over.

In boating...they call it '2 foot-itis.' In audio we call it a
'4-track fix.'

No matter how bit a boat you have, you find it's just about 2 foot
shy of what you need for a really good party. No matter how many
channels you have, you find you need 4 more channels for the right mix.

If you're figuring 7 amps, within a year, you'll be looking for 2
more amps.

Think future growth.

Old February 11th 10, 04:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On 2/10/10 16:41 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:
* * *I replaced my wall warts in the radio room with an Astron VS-20M.
Serious power. Serious regulation. Very clean power. Nice listening.

I use an Astron RS-20M here to power the Drake R7.

* * May be where I got the idea.

* * It's a great PS.

You could probably power a dozen R7s with 20 amps!. *I'm shooting for
the Astron 7 amp job - that should tide me over.

* *In boating...they call it *'2 foot-itis.' In audio we call it a
'4-track fix.'

* *No matter how bit a boat you have, you find it's just about 2 foot
shy of what you need for a really good party. No matter how many
channels you have, you find you need 4 more channels for the right mix.

* *If you're figuring 7 amps, within a year, you'll be looking for 2
more amps.

* *Think future growth.- Hide quoted text -

Absolutely! I always expect to have a safe
operating environment, and a bigger power supply is a must, not an
overkill. In industrial installations, which run around the clock,
p.s. are mandatory to be much heftier than what seems necessary to
handle the usual load, so nothing terrible could possibly occur in the
worth case scenario. At home I played with 12V gell cells for awhile,
and was planning to acquire a deep discharge cycle battery from Sears,
eventually. By the way Pyramid's p.s.current rating cannot be
trusted.The 7 amp claim to supply a constant current is just not
possible at all. Their ratings (and of many,many other brands) are
based upon intermittent(!) use only. Actually, building a decent
medium size (10 -15 Amp) regulated linear p.s. is not that difficult
and parts are widely available from discarded electronics.
P.S. Switching p.s. should be avoided by all means,if possible. Just
look how much RF the new florescent bulbs are causing lately.
Old February 11th 10, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 10, 8:55*pm, wrote:

wrote:
On 2/10/10 16:41 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Peter and Arthur - right now and foreseeably, my total demand
at maximum is probably 3 amps. One main radio (Icom R75 - maxes at
about 1 amp), a MFJ-1026 (500 - 600 ma) and maybe one other small RX
or dsp unit at a time (1 amp max). All the other things I have do
just great on 115 VAC. This, after 4 decades of s-l-o-w collecting!
I have no TX and do not intend to resurrect my ancient ham license, so
that sort of larger drain will never happen.

So, at 5 amps continuous on the unit I am thinking about, that will
already give me another 100% of headroom to play with. I know I'm a
bit odd in this respect ;-), but I don't collect stuff to run
simultaneously (My entire active shack at any one time fits on 3
square feet of tabletop).

I could get a ~12 amp I guess, but that would be considerable overkill
for anything I can foresee. Not figuring on the Pyramid any more.
You guys and some research have pretty much talked me into Astron :-)

Bruce

FA linear power supply with toroid power xformer jeff Equipment 0 March 19th 06 07:07 AM
Wtb: hp-23 power supply John Swap 0 November 20th 05 04:20 AM
WTB: HV POWER SUPPLY AL G. Swap 0 October 5th 04 04:30 AM
Astron RS-20A Power Supply Great Condition - used to power a VHF radio Les Smith Swap 5 October 16th 03 09:47 AM
Need help w/ Power Supply TRAMD300 Swap 0 July 27th 03 06:03 AM