Old February 22nd 10, 06:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Japan NHK

I heard Radio Japan NHK this evening 0510-0530z
February 22,2010 on approximately 9770KHz.
The broadcast was in English,.
The broadcast seemed to be intended for somewhere other than North
America.
The sound quality was poor ,the signal was weak and fading completely
out at times.
Old February 22nd 10, 06:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 21, 10:42*pm, ai8o wrote:
I heard Radio Japan NHK this evening *0510-0530z
February 22,2010 on approximately 9770KHz.
The broadcast was in English,.
The broadcast * seemed to be intended for somewhere other than North
America.
The sound quality was poor ,the signal was weak and fading completely
out at times.

R. Japan has an English broadcast directed toward Africa at that time
on 9770, relayed via France (via www.PrimeTimeShortwave.com). This is
probably what you heard. Not a bad catch, actually, depending on
where you are located.

Bruce Jensen
Old February 23rd 10, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 22, 1:59*am, bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 21, 10:42*pm, ai8o wrote:

I heard Radio Japan NHK this evening *0510-0530z
February 22,2010 on approximately 9770KHz.
The broadcast was in English,.
The broadcast * seemed to be intended for somewhere other than North
America.
The sound quality was poor ,the signal was weak and fading completely
out at times.

R. Japan has an English broadcast directed toward Africa at that time
on 9770, relayed via France (viawww.PrimeTimeShortwave.com). *This is
probably what you heard. *Not a bad catch, actually, depending on
where you are located.

Bruce Jensen

I am in the western piedmont of North Carolina.
The BC was fading deeply, almost totally gone at times at times, but I
did manage to catch the S/off ID.
The announcer had a North American English accent. Not what I expected
from anasian broadcaster.

73
Dan
AI8O
Old February 23rd 10, 07:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 21, 10:42*pm, ai8o wrote:

[...]

Many people from Asia are very strong in English as a second language
- however, I think actual westerners at Asian and other shortwave
stations are pretty common. I was just listening to CRI Beijing
yesterday briefly for an ID, and sure enough, a woman with a proper
English accent identifies herself as being an announcer in Beijing for
CRI, and when she says her name (a proper English name) you could have
knocked me over with a feather.

Bruce Jensen
Old February 23rd 10, 11:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
Many people from Asia are very strong in English as a second language
- however, I think actual westerners at Asian and other shortwave
stations are pretty common. I was just listening to CRI Beijing
yesterday briefly for an ID, and sure enough, a woman with a proper
English accent identifies herself as being an announcer in Beijing for
CRI, and when she says her name (a proper English name) you could have
knocked me over with a feather.

That means very little. She could be Chinese from Hong Kong with a British
father, or someone who changed the pronunciation of their Chinese name to
fit British standards.

It's also very common for DJ's, news "readers", actors, etc to take western
sounding names or more common sounding names to make them more attractive
to the public. For example, I'm sure you were a big fan of Marion Morrison
when he was alive, although I'd say it's likley you have never heard of
him by that name.

As for NHK, they also have an English language TV service, which is on
DBS here. My kids watch it.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.

Old February 23rd 10, 12:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
bpnjensen wrote:
Many people from Asia are very strong in English as a second language
- however, I think actual westerners at Asian and other shortwave
stations are pretty common. I was just listening to CRI Beijing
yesterday briefly for an ID, and sure enough, a woman with a proper
English accent identifies herself as being an announcer in Beijing for
CRI, and when she says her name (a proper English name) you could have
knocked me over with a feather.

That means very little. She could be Chinese from Hong Kong with a British
father, or someone who changed the pronunciation of their Chinese name to
fit British standards.

I do know that CRI (40dB over S-9 here) has a couple expats as announcers on
their regular China Drive show. One is from the US, the other from, IIRC,
New Zealand. Can't say whether they're there because of their political
beliefs, or just to make a Yuan...

Old February 23rd 10, 12:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
For example, I'm sure you were a big fan of Marion Morrison
when he was alive,

Who could be a fan of a draft dodging phoney,
well, maybe cuhu.

His draft dodging is questionable, and to answer your question, look at Jane
Fonda, who actually fired a North Vietnamese anti-aircaft gun at US airplanes.

Old February 23rd 10, 12:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

I do know that CRI (40dB over S-9 here) has a couple expats as announcers on
their regular China Drive show. One is from the US, the other from, IIRC,
New Zealand. Can't say whether they're there because of their political
beliefs, or just to make a Yuan...

Political beliefs as in worldwide communist domination, or the right to
shop at Wal-Mart (where almost everything is made in the PRC)?

:-)

Old February 23rd 10, 12:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

Bob Dobbs wrote:
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
For example, I'm sure you were a big fan of Marion Morrison
when he was alive,

Who could be a fan of a draft dodging phoney,
well, maybe cuhu.

His draft dodging is questionable, and to answer your question, look at Jane
Fonda, who actually fired a North Vietnamese anti-aircaft gun at US airplanes.

Did she actually fire it or was she simply photographed sitting on it?

Old February 23rd 10, 01:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

I was just listening to CRI Beijing yesterday briefly for an ID, and
sure enough, a woman with a proper English accent identifies herself
as being an announcer in Beijing for CRI, and when she says her name
(a proper English name) you could have knocked me over with a
feather.

A "proper English name"?

Do you mean like when you call tech support and Rajiv or Sanjay try to
tell you their name is Charley or Fred?

LOL!

Radio Japan Burr Shortwave 0 April 13th 08 03:50 AM
Radio Japan Burr Shortwave 0 April 13th 08 02:28 AM
NHK World Network "Radio Japan" on 9.505 MHz in English via Tokyo, Japan RHF Shortwave 0 October 18th 05 12:08 PM
Radio Japan Telamon Shortwave 0 April 23rd 05 07:00 PM
Radio Japan A04 N8KDV Shortwave 0 March 24th 04 08:26 PM