Old March 2nd 10, 06:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default South Pacific reception practically DOA tonight

Reception from the S. Pacific is unusually bad here in California
2nite.

I am used to SIBC Honiara being hit or miss, and Bangkok
Meteorological Radio too, but R. Australia on 9660 sounds like a
distant weak station, bad fluttery fading, and R. New Zealand I. on
11725, usually an S-9+ powerhouse, is MIA completely. Not even a het
on USB. Weird, since Europe is just fine and Latin America is
slightly better than usual.

Bruce
Old March 3rd 10, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 2, 1:52*am, bpnjensen wrote:
Reception from the S. Pacific is unusually bad here in California
2nite.

I am used to SIBC Honiara being hit or miss, and Bangkok
Meteorological Radio too, but R. Australia on 9660 sounds like a
distant weak station, bad fluttery fading, and R. New Zealand I. on
11725, usually an S-9+ powerhouse, is MIA completely. *Not even a het
on USB. *Weird, since Europe is just fine and Latin America is
slightly better than usual.

Bruce

South Pacific stations are not very powerful to begin with. Even
R.Australia and R New Zealand usually do not have stable signal over
here on the East Coast during better propagation times. SIBC on
5020KHz is normally impossible to catch on any of my receivers (must
be low powertransmitter). And RHC is all over the dial day and
night.
Old March 3rd 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 2, 10:03*pm, wrote:
[...]

I agree about RHC - those guys and China are like flypoop.

On the S. Pacific, West Coast NA is different. NZ and the Aussies are
loud and easy here, in fact RNZI is one of the three most powerful
stations I receive outside U.S. boundaries. I can get RA easily on
two to a half-dozen different freqs any given time of night or day. I
can usually get at least faint words from SIBC, although R. Rebelde
has been killing them lately with their "new improved" signal.
Thailand, Japan, Philippines, Guam, Indonesia, all barrel in here, may
even when they are transmitting in the other direction. Obsequious
CRI often feels like a big sloppy dog trying to crawl into my lap.

However, yesterday AM UTC they were DEAD. I have not seen anything
like it before.

OTOH, it was not just RHC - the Brazilians were pretty nice, and the
Ecuadorian time signal on 3810 was armchair alongside the hams.

They were all back last night local time, though, so all's well that
end's well (WS) :-).

BTW, it's Mongolia season! :-) Gonna stay up late this weekend and
see if I can pick' er out.

Bruce

Reception tonight adman32003 Shortwave 1 January 10th 07 12:38 PM
BBC from South Africa tonight. Invader3K Shortwave 1 March 30th 05 04:33 AM
Terrible Reception Pacific Northwest Rob R. Shortwave 16 December 29th 03 05:59 PM
Amateur Radio Operators in the South Pacific Hank Oredson Dx 1 July 29th 03 04:04 AM
HAMS in the South Pacific Islands Ian General 0 July 28th 03 06:12 AM