Old March 8th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Old "Boat Anchor" tube receivers vs. Solid State receivers?

On 3/8/10 10:34 , bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 8, 8:26 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
On 3/8/10 10:07 , bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 8, 7:48 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
On 3/8/10 09:20 , bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 8, 6:20 am, wrote:
You believe because you've dropped the big bucks and WANT to believe.
But most of it is hype and the EIA has done a superb job of convincing
consumers how badly they need the new whistles and bells. There is
very little difference between the propaganda used today by the drug
companies to sell
their nonsense snake oil ("restless legs syndrome," etc) and that which the
has come
from manufacturers of modern day radios.

Save your money, pick up a cheap older rig and you'll enjoy it as much as
(if not more than)
the rigs filled with rarely used features and performance specifications
that are
patently unnecessary.

And while I am at it, my quote was that "MOST" can discern the difference
in 100 cycles. I didn't say ALL. This group seems include many Doberman
pinschers
with keen hearing.

What a bunch of nitpicky old ladies
are on here.

Clive, I have an Icom R75, and although some will diss this radio, I
can tell I enjoy the "bells and whistles" a great deal. The stability
and crispness of the signal (both driftwise and in terms of AGC and S-
AM) that can be achieved with this radio is quite nice.

Did you get the crystal oven on that one?

The S-AM on
this set is only so-so, from what I understand - I would love to hear
what the really good S-AM (on a more recent Drake, for example) sounds
like.

I've got sync on my Drakes, Lowe Ten-Tec and AOR. The difference
is in the distortion during fades. There's less of it. The fades are
still there, but the audio doesn't shatter.

If you know what you're listening for, it's a big difference. If
not, it's not that big a deal.

I use my rigs without sync more than with.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Peter - well, that's about what I thought - the Kiwa-modified
S-AM on the R75 definitely helps soften the blow of the fades (the
distortion disappears for all practical purposes), and the AGC when
the RF Gain is turned back a wee bit fills in and remedies all but the
deepest fades. I just figured the Drake/AOR/etc. did it better. Not
having ever heard one in person (NOBODY sells or demos them around
this metropolis), I just don't know for sure. In fact, you can't find
any shortwave receiver sales at all anymore except the usual lowball
Etons at RS. HRO has nothing but tranceivers anymore.

Bruce

It's no better, here. I have to go to a hamfest and look at mfr's
rep booths to see, or to play with anything new. I bought my more
recent receivers unheard, based on recommendations of users, and
reviewers at RNW.

Although the R8A I bought at a model train show. It was in like
new condition. Not a mark on it. It still smelled like fresh circuit
boards when I opened the box.

That was a good day.- Hide quoted text -

Model trains! Me too! :-D All I need is room for a RR...enough for a
Challenger to hi-ball across the Utah desert...

Yeah......um....my trains are a little smaller than that.

Old March 8th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thread at rec.autos.tech newsgroup.Toyota blocks access to 'black box'
data.

Somebody said he sees the Military buying field radios that Icom wont
even provide service informtion on.They just pull the modules out and
send them to Japan for rework.

Lets me gits back to woikin onna mah hoyse now, teh front porch, them
four big tall wood posts outch thar.Sanding, with my right angle
electric drill with a round pad and round sandpaper.Y'all have seen ah
billion uv dem befo.
cuhulin

Old March 8th 10, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 8, 8:42*am, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote:
On 3/8/10 10:34 , bpnjensen wrote:

Model trains! *Me too! :-D *All I need is room for a RR...enough for a
Challenger to hi-ball across the Utah desert...

* *Yeah......um....my trains are a little smaller than that.- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking of an HO-scale Challenger racing across a 30-foot strip
of Red Rock - maybe you like N or Z?
Old March 8th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 8, 8:41*am, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote:
On 3/8/10 10:07 , bpnjensen wrote:

the Kiwa-modified
S-AM on the R75 definitely helps soften the blow of the fades (the
distortion disappears for all practical purposes), and the AGC when
the RF Gain is turned back a wee bit fills in and remedies all but the
deepest fades.

* *The sync on R75 was not well implemented. It worked. And it
worked according to factory specs. But it was what the techs at Lowe
call 'fiddly' dialing it in was a job. And often more trouble than
it was worth. I played with R75 at the ICOM booth at the local
hamfest. Sync worked as described. But it took a lot of attention to
keep it in place.

* *The complaints did not go unheard. The rep I spoke to several
months after the release of R75 told me that ICOM had heard the
complaints, were very uhappy, and had made reimplementing the sync a
priority. Trouble was, that the firmware for the rig wasn't readily
upgradeable, and hardware modifications were going to be time
consuming and expensive. R&D costs would have been a significant
issue. And considering what ICOM went through with PBT on R71, they
were not eager to step on technology that may produce another
expensive and damaging legal skirmish.

* *This at a time when SW was in sharp decline among broadcasters,
and most users applying sync for broadcast listening, ICOM put the
reimplementation of the sync on a back burner.

* *I spoke to the same ICOM factory rep a couple of years later, and
when asked about the sync on R75, shook his head and changed the
subject pretty quickly. With KIWA doing the job, there was no
motivation for ICOM to reengineer the sync, themselves, and with
broadcasters abandoning SW, there was no reason to continue
development of receive-only general coverage SW radios.

Thanks - that's roughly the story I have heard.

BJ
Old March 8th 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 8, 8:17*am, dave wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:

Clive, I have an Icom R75, and although some will diss this radio, I
can tell I enjoy the "bells and whistles" a great deal. *The stability
and crispness of the signal (both driftwise and in terms of AGC and S-
AM) that can be achieved with this radio is quite nice. *The S-AM on
this set is only so-so, from what I understand - I would love to hear
what the really good S-AM (on a more recent Drake, for example) sounds
like.

Bruce

When I used my R75 for program listening I used the SSB mode. *The SAM
is useless without the Kiwa mods, which I don't have.

Bingo. Actually, the Kiwa mods solve quite a few problems (The S-AM
is only only one of them; the AGC time constant and the constricted
audio are two others). The mods considerably improve the sound and
performance on both AM and SSB. Now, I can enjoy Radio New Zealand on
Friday nights with good audio and no fading distortion :-)

BJ

Old March 8th 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/8/10 11:19 , bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 8, 8:42 am, "D. Peter
wrote:
On 3/8/10 10:34 , bpnjensen wrote:

Model trains! Me too! :-D All I need is room for a RR...enough for a
Challenger to hi-ball across the Utah desert...

Yeah......um....my trains are a little smaller than that.- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking of an HO-scale Challenger racing across a 30-foot strip
of Red Rock - maybe you like N or Z?

I've started playing with N.

58 year old eyes find N a bit of a challenge, these days.

Old March 8th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A couple of my old buddies are Train nuts.They own a lot of old Railroad
related thingys, including some Fairmont Speeders too.Wayyyy back in the
olden days/many years ago, Ford built at least one ''Speeder''.

Watchinnn WLBT 12:00 PM tv news,,, a hand grenade was found in a trash
bag in a waste management garbage truck.Last week, there was an accident
in the Jackson area, a garbage truck had turned over, I-20 lanes were
closed down for a few hours.Cleanup on I-20!
cuhulin

Old March 8th 10, 08:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...
On 3/8/10 08:20 , Clive wrote:
[...]

Yes. We've noticed that.

Like any other hobby, once you get to a certain point, it's all pretty
much nitpicking. A friend of mine is into radio control helicopters, and
he puts down the cheaper plastic and partially CNC aluminum ones that do
99% of what his all CNC headed ones do, just not as precisely. I'm kind
of thinking about getting one, but he's pushing me towards the higher
end ones, and I'm thinking it's gonna crash anyway, so why not start out
cheap?

Then there's a friend who is into cameras, and buys another insanely
expensive one about every year and a half or so. Pics don't look much
different than when he had his 4 megapixel camera. Now he has an 18
megapixel (I think that's how many it's got)camera that costs what a
used car does.
--

BDK..
Leader of the nonexistent paid shills.
Old March 8th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 8, 12:28*pm, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 3/8/10 08:20 , Clive wrote:
[...]

Former number one Kook Magnet, title passed to Iarnrod.- Hide quoted text -

In particular, camera megapixel size is REALLY overblown. Unless
you're going to shoot for billboards to be examined at a distance of
two feet, you don't need much over 6Mp. I have a 10.1Mp - because
that's what they had at the time - and it is way more than adequate.
I often find myself reducing it for manageability.

As Peter has suggested and I concur, much better to put some $$$ into
decent glass. That'll get you a lot more sharpness and resolution
than doubling your pixel count.

Bruce