Old March 21st 10, 08:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Removing RF and Noise from Apartment Areas

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences in what one can do to remove
the stray RF and noise that is caused by various electronics such as
computers, TVs, and other electric and electronic devices. I live in an
apartment and even on my Grundig 400 and Eton E5, E6 models, there is a
significant noise level. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas that would
work for removing such electronic hash through the receiver. I also have a
Yaesu FRG 100B that I bought several years ago and wondering if there is
something I can either buy that will take out the interference from the
electronics. Im wondering if the cable modem and computers are a lot of the
problem but I can only isolate them as far away as across the room.

Anyway, thanks for your help in advance.

Old March 21st 10, 01:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Robert wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences in what one can do to
remove the stray RF and noise that is caused by various electronics such
as computers, TVs, and other electric and electronic devices. I live in
an apartment and even on my Grundig 400 and Eton E5, E6 models, there is
a significant noise level. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas that
would work for removing such electronic hash through the receiver. I
also have a Yaesu FRG 100B that I bought several years ago and wondering
if there is something I can either buy that will take out the
interference from the electronics. Im wondering if the cable modem and
computers are a lot of the problem but I can only isolate them as far
away as across the room.

Anyway, thanks for your help in advance.

There's a Timewave noise canceler that uses a polarity inverter and a
sense antenna to remove local noise from your main antenna. People have
varying degrees of success with them.
Old March 21st 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dave" wrote in message
Robert wrote:
[...]

I've seen a couple of the Timewaves and was wondering if they were any good.
I also saw that MFJ has some products somewhat the same. I was wondering if
anyone had any good luck using toroids, chokes, etc for stuff like that as
well. Im thinking that most of that stuff should be used on the power cords.
Seems that my problem is varied electronic hash coming from the power lines
and the computers and home electronics that are all around this area. Seems
that when I can get the antenna outside the brick apartment building that I
can get some pretty decent signals. Of course, having the apartment police
watching everything and all the restrictions like that, Im looking for a way
to enjoy my SWL stuff as well as getting my amateur radio station back
online. Im thinking that a book by the ARRL on RFI EMI might help too.

Old March 21st 10, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 21, 12:21*pm, "Robert" wrote:
"dave" wrote in message

Robert wrote:
[...]

I have excellent results with my MFJ-1026 - but it only works on one
noise at a time, and it is essential that both antennas hear the same
noise. This is not difficult in practice, but many people don't get
this important point and have poor results.
Old March 22nd 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dave" wrote in message

Robert wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking about getting the MFJ 1026 or perhaps the Timewave ANC 4. The
599 model by Timewave is a bit pricy and I would rather put that money into
a new HF rig with some good DSP that or even an R 75. Wanting to modernize
the shack a little bit.

removing guy wires on tower Ralph Mowery Antenna 14 August 22nd 09 05:12 PM
removing enamel W3CQH Homebrew 4 June 10th 08 01:04 PM
REMOVING ENAMEL COATING W3CQH Homebrew 48 June 8th 08 11:44 PM
removing spanner nut Imran Akbar Scanner 1 October 2nd 03 02:31 AM
Florida-SEALORD Maps of Warning Areas depicting Xray & Yankee Areas GeorgeF Scanner 0 June 30th 03 09:51 PM