Old March 24th 10, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Reception/Noise Help

I live on the 2nd floor of a condo (no outside antennas allowed) with a
random wire (60') from my R8B, out the window, and thrown over a tree
branch. No separate feedline; just one length of thin wire from radio to
tree. As expected reception is compromised with excessive noise. Can
anyone advise if there is a way to reduce the noise? Can't have a
ground rod. Don't want to move. Would an active antenna be an
improvement or a waste of money? I do understand that I'm never going to
have a Good setup, but just looking for some improvement.

Thanks...Bob

Remove MYHAT for email response
Old March 24th 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

BobS wrote:
I live on the 2nd floor of a condo (no outside antennas allowed) with a
random wire (60') from my R8B, out the window, and thrown over a tree
branch. No separate feedline; just one length of thin wire from radio to
tree. As expected reception is compromised with excessive noise. Can
anyone advise if there is a way to reduce the noise? Can't have a
ground rod. Don't want to move. Would an active antenna be an
improvement or a waste of money? I do understand that I'm never going to
have a Good setup, but just looking for some improvement.

Thanks...Bob

Remove MYHAT for email response

An impedance matching transformer might help.

Here's a link to simple plans for making a 9:1 transformer:

http://www.kc7nod.20m.com/new_page_1.htm
Old March 24th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In message , Mark S. Holden
writes
BobS wrote:
I live on the 2nd floor of a condo (no outside antennas allowed) with
a random wire (60') from my R8B, out the window, and thrown over a
tree branch. No separate feedline; just one length of thin wire from
radio to tree. As expected reception is compromised with excessive
noise. Can anyone advise if there is a way to reduce the noise? Can't
have a ground rod. Don't want to move. Would an active antenna be an
improvement or a waste of money? I do understand that I'm never going
to have a Good setup, but just looking for some improvement.
Thanks...Bob
Remove MYHAT for email response

An impedance matching transformer might help.

Here's a link to simple plans for making a 9:1 transformer:

http://www.kc7nod.20m.com/new_page_1.htm

I can't see a 9:1 transformer making one scrap of difference.

Its normal application is to enable you to locate an antenna remote from
house (and hence from sources of electrical interference), and bring the
signal back the receiver via screened (coaxial) cable. The purpose of
the transformer is to help minimise the 'pot-down' of the antenna signal
on those frequencies where the antenna impedance is a lot higher than
that of the 50 or 75 ohm coax.

There really should be a good ground connection at the
antenna-transformer-coax interface. If there isn't, the 'ground' will
via the braid of the coax. However, unless the coax braid can be
grounded, it will effectively be part of the antenna, and you are likely
to get interference pickup on the coax. Things might be a bit better
than simply bring the antenna wire directly to the radio, but I wouldn't
count on it. An active antenna would probably be a better choice, but
needs investigating.
--
Ian
Old March 24th 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 24, 3:05*pm, BobS wrote:
I live on the 2nd floor of a condo (no outside antennas allowed) with a
random wire (60') from my R8B, out the window, and thrown over a tree
branch. No separate feedline; just one length of thin wire from radio to
tree. As expected reception is compromised with excessive noise. Can
anyone advise if there is a way to reduce the noise? *Can't have a
ground rod. Don't want to move. *Would an active antenna be an
improvement or a waste of money? I do understand that I'm never going to
have a Good setup, but just looking for some improvement.

Thanks...Bob

Remove MYHAT for email response

You could have a fine setup there.
Old March 24th 10, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:05:11 -0400, BobS
wrote:

I live on the 2nd floor of a condo (no outside antennas allowed) with a
random wire (60') from my R8B, out the window, and thrown over a tree
branch. No separate feedline; just one length of thin wire from radio to
tree. As expected reception is compromised with excessive noise. Can
anyone advise if there is a way to reduce the noise? Can't have a
ground rod. Don't want to move. Would an active antenna be an
improvement or a waste of money? I do understand that I'm never going to
have a Good setup, but just looking for some improvement.

Thanks...Bob

Remove MYHAT for email response

If you want a balun assembled:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/antsup/1484.html

If your noise is due to nearby electrical equipment you may want to
try an active noise canceller:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ters/0094.html

Hopefully a balun will help. An active antenna would probably be
worse. If you have 60 ft of wire that should give you pretty good
signal level. Be sure to run coax from the radio to the balun. This is
key to getting rid of interior electrical noise. It would be best if
the balun was outside but I realize it might be noticed. Keep it as
close to the window as possible.

Jim

Old March 25th 10, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

MLB by RF Systems is a very good accessory to diminish noise-
have it for several years with exceptional results... Also, we must
remember that a vertical component in an aerial always picks up more
noise than a horizontal. Now- on the subject of gounding. A ground
does not always attenuate noise. In fact, I have witnessed quite the
opposite. Ground does not have to come from a rod driven into the
ground. For instance: if the plumbing in the building is metallic,
then a cold water pipe may be the solution. Or, if the structure is
more up-to-date,a steel beam (if acessible) is just as good. Some
types of noise(constant sparking, HV AC lines, strong intensity RF
etc.) cannot be eliminated but rather reduced,sometimes
significantly. What type of noise are you experiencing, is man-made
or just static discharges (natural)?
Old March 25th 10, 12:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 24, 3:05*pm, BobS wrote:
I live on the 2nd floor of a condo (no outside antennas allowed) with a
random wire (60') from my R8B, out the window, and thrown over a tree
branch. No separate feedline; just one length of thin wire from radio to
tree. As expected reception is compromised with excessive noise. Can
anyone advise if there is a way to reduce the noise? *Can't have a
ground rod. Don't want to move. *Would an active antenna be an
improvement or a waste of money? I do understand that I'm never going to
have a Good setup, but just looking for some improvement.

Thanks...Bob

Remove MYHAT for email response

You could try swapping out the wire antenna for a loop. You could
homebrew a small loop that you tune manually, with a small capacitor.
If that works well but you want a loop you don't have to tune, you
could always pick up one of the Wellbrook loops. They aren't cheap,
but you don't have to tune them.
Old March 25th 10, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

BobS wrote:
I live on the 2nd floor of a condo (no outside antennas allowed) with a
random wire (60') from my R8B, out the window, and thrown over a tree
branch. No separate feedline; just one length of thin wire from radio to
tree. As expected reception is compromised with excessive noise. Can
anyone advise if there is a way to reduce the noise? *Can't have a
ground rod.

You first need to identify the noise source. Could be power line
arcing due to a bad insulator, or a neon sign, or whatever.

What does the noise sound like? Just a steady buzzing sound or
something else? Does it cover the whole shortwave spectrum or just a
certain range? Better/worse in rainy weather? Try to find a pattern
based on time, weather, etc.

If the antenna is near the source of the noise, you might be better
off with a smaller antenna further from the noise source. Experiment!

Art, N2AH