Old April 5th 10, 05:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default BBC WS 7310

BBC WS on 7310 KHz 0434z April 5,2010.
Network Africa Program

This program is beamed toward Central and Southern Africa, so it is
unusual for me to hear it in North Carolina, USA.

Too bad BBC doesn't QSL.

Dan
AI8O
Old April 5th 10, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ai8o wrote:
BBC WS on 7310 KHz 0434z April 5,2010.
Network Africa Program

This program is beamed toward Central and Southern Africa, so it is
unusual for me to hear it in North Carolina, USA.

Too bad BBC doesn't QSL.

Dan
AI8O

North Carolina is apparently close enough to Africa. Where is the
transmitter?
Old April 5th 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 5, 6:28*am, dave wrote:
ai8o wrote:
BBC WS on 7310 KHz 0434z April 5,2010.
Network Africa Program

This program is beamed toward Central and Southern Africa, so it is
unusual for me to hear it in North Carolina, USA.

Too bad BBC doesn't QSL.

Dan
AI8O

North Carolina is apparently close enough to Africa. *Where is the
transmitter?

I have not checked on this one yet, but BBC often uses either
Ascension or South Africa for its southern AF services.

Bruce
Old April 5th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
bpnjensen wrote:
On Apr 5, 6:28*am, dave wrote:
ai8o wrote:
BBC WS on 7310 KHz 0434z April 5,2010.
Network Africa Program

This program is beamed toward Central and Southern Africa, so it is
unusual for me to hear it in North Carolina, USA.

Too bad BBC doesn't QSL.

Dan
AI8O

North Carolina is apparently close enough to Africa. *Where is the
transmitter?

I have not checked on this one yet, but BBC often uses either
Ascension or South Africa for its southern AF services.

Signal quality isn't good enough to bother for program listening, but
I've picked up 7310 quite a few times here in Seattle.

The graphic charts of frequency by time by region that they may still
have on the BBC Web site have transmitter location, (which the regional
schedules in HTML don't).

(dig, dig, dig) They're still there. The chart pointed to by the link at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/schedules/frequencies/#west-africa
shows 7310 kHz to be coming from South Africa from 4-6:00 UTC and
Ascension from 6-7:00 UTC. (I didn't check the fine print, I hope
that's current).

Mark Zenier

Old April 6th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 5, 10:56*am, (Mark Zenier) wrote:
In article ,

bpnjensen wrote:
On Apr 5, 6:28*am, dave wrote:
ai8o wrote:
[...]

Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)- Hide quoted text -

SAf is pretty close to antipodal for us West Coast guys - but
considering their beam direction and the likely pathways, not too
surprising that we hear them.

Here near San Fran, all of BBCs relay XMTR sites - Ascension, SAf,
Oman, Thailand, Singapore and so forth - can be heard at least once a
day (on most days) with more or less good reception. Yesterday was an
exception that rule, but ... solar storms being what they are...

In fact, the larger S. African stations are largely dependable - VOA
Botswana, DG Rwanda, CVC in Zambia, and the Madagascar relays.

Here near SanFran, the only BBC relay that does not make itself
regularly audible is the Seychelles site. Back at the top of the
cycle, they were fairly regular, but I don't expect that to return for
another year or two. Let's hope they are still on there at that
time...

Bruce