Old April 11th 10, 10:31 AM
sv1 sv1 is offline
Junior Member

Default What is the best of the Radio

hi

What is the best radio to pick up shortwave from 50-100 dollars

TECSUN PL200
ETON E100
sony ICF-SW11
Grundig G6
DEGEN DE1103 ,DE1104
Or another ?

Thank you for all
Old April 11th 10, 12:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

--
sv1

Just have to ask. Why do "posters" just pop in here out of the blue
with no posting history on usenet whatsoever and show up in RRS and
ask simple questions. All they have to do is google their answer. If
this is legitimate, I 'suppose' there will be some answers. But I kind
of just shake my head with questions like this, it almost makes me
think it's 'someone' who has posted in here before and had not too
great of a response/responses - and in a weird way - just by someone
in this group conversing with them in a 'normal' manner gives them a
sense of accomplishment. Almost like making small talk when they
already know the answer. Just saying. {?}
Old April 11th 10, 01:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 4/11/10 06:57 , Gregg wrote:
On Apr 11, 5:31 am, wrote:
[...]

Probably for the same reasons that the preponderance of people
get their news and information from TV, rather than doing a bit of
reading and getting the straight information on their own: They
prefer to be told, rather than make up their own mind.

Especially, if someone is new to shortwave, and techologically
illiterate, a recommendation from someone who may have superiour
knowledge is more reassuriing than taking a blind stab at a choice
out of hundreds of options, with a dizzying array of information to
wade through.

There was a guy here, more than a decade ago, named Tim, who came
in like rolling thunder, demanded answers to a lot of questions,
blustered huge opinions out of his ass, pronounced himself an expert
on shortwave, and then blasted Bob Grove mercilessly for a weekend
based on nothing more than the revision numbers and dates on the
circuitboards of his brand new SW-8. He went on for nearly three
days about how Grove had sold him an old model. He called Grove and
screamed at the person on the phone, threatened legal action, and
then came in here and ranted to exhaustion. All based on a lack of
knowledge. Had he simply done some cursory research, he would have
found that his radio was, in fact, brand new, current and of the
latest production batch.

But he didn't know. And it took 3 of us, here, to talk him off
the ledge, put right the damage he'd done to Bob Grove, and to
educate him on the nature of radio production, how to read serial
numbers and to look up production runs.

With guys here like you and me, and Ace, and women like Brenda
Ann, and a couple of others over the years, there's a LOT of
information available to fresh RRS recruits, just for the asking,
without the misunderstandings that may come from ignorance and
access to Google.

There was one kid, and this goes back about 15 years, now, who
would mount up and ride into RRS with opinions on everything from
cell phones to AAA. And his position on nearly everything was that
self research and learning was obsolete. If you needed something,
you simply called on your cell phone, and found someone who could
provide you with the answers you need. No need cluttering up the
brain with useless information. You carried a cell phone and that
got you what you need.

Well, he got caught on the freeway with a flat tire, once. And
not knowing how to fix it, reached for his cell phone and called for
a tow. There was no signal available from where he was located, so
he got ****ed and tried to walk somewhere for a better signal. After
a few hours walk, he finally connected to a tower, placed a call,
and called a tow. He walked back to his car to find it had been
stripped bare with little left but the paint job and someone working
on that. The tow truck had been there, had seen the stripped
skeleton, and had left. He had to walk somewhere to get a ride back
home. He was ****ed, but when he related his experiences, here, and
was told he should have learned how to change a tire, he simply said
that thinking was obsolete. It's simpler to just call someone.

So, though your point is certainly correct, and makes a lot of
sense, you're dealing with some individuals who don't know, don't
care, don't want to know, and don't want to care how to do things
themselves. It's easier to simply ask, or in Tim's case, demand,
that someone do the work for them.

In other words, it's simpler just to ask someone.
Old April 11th 10, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:
Well, he got caught on the freeway with a flat tire, once. And
not knowing how to fix it, reached for his cell phone and called for
a tow. There was no signal available from where he was located, so
he got ****ed and tried to walk somewhere for a better signal. After
a few hours walk, he finally connected to a tower, placed a call,
and called a tow. He walked back to his car to find it had been
stripped bare with little left but the paint job and someone working
on that. The tow truck had been there, had seen the stripped
skeleton, and had left. He had to walk somewhere to get a ride back
home. He was ****ed, but when he related his experiences, here, and
was told he should have learned how to change a tire, he simply said
that thinking was obsolete. It's simpler to just call someone.

There are two sides to every story. Assuming he had full coverage insurance,
with a resonable deductable, for less than the cost of a set of 5 high end
tires (4 and a new spare), he got a brand new car. :-)

If he did not have enough, or any insurance, that 's because he did not
make enough phone calls. :-(

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Old April 11th 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 4/11/10 07:54 , Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

There are two sides to every story.

That's only true if one side isn't the truth.

Old April 11th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

sv1 wrote:
hi

What is the best radio to pick up shortwave from 50-100 dollars

TECSUN PL200
ETON E100
sony ICF-SW11
Grundig G6
DEGEN DE1103 ,DE1104
Or another ?

Thank you for all

It depends where you are. Some radios do better in certain places.
Old April 11th 10, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...le/chartp.html

Old April 11th 10, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:

There are two sides to every story.

That's only true if one side isn't the truth.

Not so. Politicians of opposing viewpoints give you both sides of a
situation and are usually both lying.

Conversely, I'm sure I can think of some truths that show their faces on
both sides of that proverbial coin.

mike
Old April 11th 10, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:

What is the best radio to pick up shortwave from 50-100 dollars

It depends where you are. Some radios do better in certain places.

I agree whole heartedly. My Sony 2010 performed very poorly in the
shower. First, the sound went, becoming very muffled. After a few
minutes, the radio stopped working entirely. I was surprised to find
there were **NO** drain holes in the bottom of the case.

It's sad when Sony can't make a radio that is at least as dependable as
a bar of soap.

rubber duck mike II
Old April 11th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 4/11/10 10:00 , m II wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

There are two sides to every story.

That's only true if one side isn't the truth.

Not so. Politicians of opposing viewpoints give you both sides of a
situation and are usually both lying.

Hmmm..you might want to re-read, then. LOL!