Old April 24th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best AM Radio for Talk Radio ?

Am looking for the best choice of a portable AM radio, to be used mainly to
listen to talk radio, both local and national stations.

Audio sound quality and decent tuner are a must. Inclusion of a shortwave
band would be nice, but not a requirement. I do want digital tuning, and
station presets.

Have had a CC Crane radio for five years, and getting a bit tired of it.
Good sound, but quality control is awful, and digital readout is flaky.

thanks !!

James

Old April 25th 10, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 25, 9:14*am, dave wrote:
Gregg wrote:
On Apr 24, 11:55 am, *wrote:
Am looking for the best choice of a portable AM radio, to be used mainly to
listen to talk radio, both local and national stations.

Audio sound quality and decent tuner are a must. * Inclusion of a shortwave
band would be nice, but not a requirement. *I do want digital tuning, and
station presets.

Have had a CC Crane radio for five years, and getting *a bit tired of it.
Good sound, but quality control is awful, and digital readout is flaky..

thanks !!

James

This should be fun to watch:-)

I like radios with continuously variable tuning, or at least ones with 1
kHz or better resolution, so I can off-tune slightly for better
intelligibility or interference mitigation.- Hide quoted text -

IMHO - a real good radio for the BCB or listening to talk radio should
be a radio that is strictly AM. I know - I know there are some
extremely good receivers that have the SW and FM with the AM but in
most cases there are taking 'something' away to have all three modes.
The only radio I would buy that had the AM and FM for talk radio would
be one of the SR or if you can find a GE P-780 on Ebay, grab it. I
can't count how many hundreds of hours where I have the GE on and
listening to the Reds games or talk radio, it's fabulous for that.
Just my take.ducking beer bottles

Old April 25th 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 25, 8:31*am, Gregg wrote:
On Apr 25, 9:14*am, dave wrote:

Gregg wrote:
On Apr 24, 11:55 am, *wrote:
[...]

Just my take.ducking beer bottles- Hide quoted text -

Oops - you say no analog and want presets, forget about my post then.
Let us know what you decided but you may want to reconsider it "having
to be" digital with presets, what's the big deal about turning the
knob and having to have stations preset? I never understood that,
especially for the BCB.

Old April 25th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gregg wrote:

IMHO - a real good radio for the BCB or listening to talk radio should
be a radio that is strictly AM. I know - I know there are some
extremely good receivers that have the SW and FM with the AM but in
most cases there are taking 'something' away to have all three modes.
The only radio I would buy that had the AM and FM for talk radio would
be one of the SR or if you can find a GE P-780 on Ebay, grab it. I
can't count how many hundreds of hours where I have the GE on and
listening to the Reds games or talk radio, it's fabulous for that.
Just my take.ducking beer bottles

My GE SRIII, bought from Ace Hardware is very good, but the tuning is so
damn touchy! I listen at night to WPHT, great evening talk shows. I am in
S. Florida, so use a Select-Tenna to weed out the Cubans who seem to infest
every channel.
Also use a CCrane with the "twin ferrite" antenna, and several restored
boatanchors, which are really the best for BCBDX!
Old April 25th 10, 03:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gregg wrote:

Oops - you say no analog and want presets, forget about my post then.
Let us know what you decided but you may want to reconsider it "having
to be" digital with presets, what's the big deal about turning the
knob and having to have stations preset? I never understood that,
especially for the BCB.

That is what BCBDX is all about! Turning the knob to tune in that elusive
station, while the old dial light shines on the bandspread! I still use my
HQ-145XC and Lafayette HE-10, be surprised what the old radios can pull in
on a dark night!
Old April 25th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gregg wrote:
On Apr 25, 9:14 am, wrote:
Gregg wrote:
On Apr 24, 11:55 am, wrote:
[...]

I listen to Billy Cunningham on WLW via iheartradio.com
Old April 25th 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"James" wrote:

Am looking for the best choice of a portable AM radio, to be used mainly to
listen to talk radio, both local and national stations.

Audio sound quality and decent tuner are a must. Inclusion of a shortwave
band would be nice, but not a requirement. I do want digital tuning, and
station presets.

Have had a CC Crane radio for five years, and getting a bit tired of it.
Good sound, but quality control is awful, and digital readout is flaky.

thanks !!

James

Best for "you" to stay away from "talk radio", and save what few brain
cells you have left. As is attested to by asking about an AM radio on a
shortwave newsgroup.

If you had a shortwave radio, you may hear broadcasts from other
countries, with commentaries that don't fit into your belief system(?).
Oh, and get headphones, so that you can keep your head stuck in the
sand, and not have to deal with reality.

And why do you hate America?
--
- Billy
Old April 26th 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 25, 1:44*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

So .... how long have you been an @$$h0le?