Old April 27th 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Bulgaria QSL?

I would really like to get a simple QSL or verie from R. Bulgaria.
After listening to that station for months and years, I *finally*
heard a transmission, intended for Europe, on which I could understand
*a little bit* of what they hosts were saying (their sound on English
transmissions is uniformly muffled and audio-challenged). I wrote
down the scant details I could, and went to the RB website ~ and I
found this. They must be kidding.

This, from the R. Bulgaria website:

"Reception report

Dear listener of Radio Bulgaria,

The good news is that in order to become a member of Radio Bulgaria’s
Monitoring Club and receive the 6 QSL cards in the series you have to
fulfill the following requirements:

For the FIRST QSL CARD you will have to submit THREE reception reports
for January and THREE for February.

For the SECOND QSL CARD you will have to submit THREE reception
reports for March and THREE for April.

For the THIRD QSL CARD you will have to submit THREE reception reports
for May and THREE for June.

For the FOURTH QSL CARD you will have to submit THREE reception
reports for July and THREE for August.

For the FIFTH QSL CARD you will have to submit THREE reception reports
for September and THREE for October.

For the SIXTH QSL CARD you will have to submit THREE reception reports
for November and THREE for December.

A valid reception report should cover at least 15 minutes of our
broadcasts on any frequency and at the time you prefer, and should
include details of the contents of the broadcast and SINPO rating.

Upon reception of the full set of 6 QSL cards, you will also get the
Monitoring Club Membership Certificate of Radio Bulgaria.

Letters and reception reports should be sent within the period
specified for each QSL card."

It takes years to understand a single word of what these people are
saying, and then for a single QSL they want SIX in two months? Forget
THAT!

Bruce Jensen
Old April 27th 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 26, 10:34*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

On their website there is a listing of DRM transmission on 9400KHz at
1530 UTC. It is interesting if anyone hears that and if it is better
than the regular broadcast.
Old April 27th 10, 08:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

[...]

I'd just send 'em the single report and see what happens.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 27th 10, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:21:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

I would expect it to be similar to Radio Romania's DRM broadcast which
is intended for Europe. I can hear Romania in DRM here in the Midwest.
It is FM quality when it is locked in, but it drops out completely
about 10% of the time. The 25 meter analog broadcasts beamed to North
America are 100% copy with just a little fading and background noise.

I will listen to Bulgaria and see if it is any different. Eibi lists
DRM at 1730UT instead of 1530UT, but I will try both.

The only station I know of from Europe that does a DRM broadcast
beamed to America is Vatican Radio from 2300UT-2330UT on 9755kHz. It
is FM quality and stays locked in under good conditions with only a
few momentary distortions.

Jim
Old April 27th 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 27, 12:59*am, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

USA- Hide quoted text -

That's what I'm gonna do - not that there's much to report. Their
folk songs came across clear and lively, but the voices sounded like
they were under a sea of oatmeal.

BTW, how are you doing? Is your backside fit yet?

Old April 27th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
I would expect it to be similar to Radio Romania's DRM broadcast which
is intended for Europe. I can hear Romania in DRM here in the Midwest.
It is FM quality when it is locked in, but it drops out completely
about 10% of the time. The 25 meter analog broadcasts beamed to North
America are 100% copy with just a little fading and background noise.

I'm only just beginning to look into the possibility of getting set up to
receive DRM.

Does "FM Quality" have some special meaning with DRM?
As I understand it DRM30 isn't really capable of anything one could really
truthfully call "FM Quality", even on MF let alone HF. But maybe it's the
official name of one of the modes.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old April 27th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"bpnjensen" wrote in message
[...]

They're clearly desperate and will try anything to get their listener
numbers into double figures.

Old April 27th 10, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 27, 9:54*am, "Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:
"bpnjensen" wrote in message

[...]

To email me remove the letter vee.- Hide quoted text -

LOL! A little clean audio would help! I listened two nights ago - on
11600, their German and French transmissions were clear and
understandable - I speak neither language, but I could plainly make
out words and phrases and could have easily written a report based on
those. Then the English came on, and the hosts sounded like mud.
WTF? The prelim ID/freq recitation and music sounded fine...

Bruce
Old April 27th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bruce,

The idea of course is to get people to actually listen to their
programming on a regular basis. As others have said, more than likely,
their real listening audience in North America is probably under 10.
Still wouldn't hurt to send a QSL request along with a few bucks to
help with postage and handling and see what happens.

Old April 27th 10, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 27, 12:51*pm, SC Dxing wrote:
Bruce,

The idea of course is to get people to actually listen to their
programming on a regular basis. As others have said, more than likely,
their real listening audience in North America is probably under 10.
Still wouldn't hurt to send a QSL request along with a few bucks to
help with postage and handling and see what happens.

Thanks - Yeah, that's what I did. I actually rather enjoy listening
to some stations once or twice a fortnight (RNZI gets my ear at least
a couple times a week and I like both R. Prague and R. Romania I.),
but when the audio is so bad, what's the point?

I wish the USPS still sold IRCs. I'd be happy to send them a couple
of those each time. I have no idea how these different countries
handle Yankee bucks...

Of course, back in the Cold War days, getting a response was *easy* -
I got not only a QSL but also a pennant, a schedule, and about twenty
pounds of glossy propaganda magazines in brown kraft paper wrappers to
boot! Man, those things smelled funny...probably be classified as
hazmat these days...

Bruce

15700 Khz Radio Bulgaria with Int. Sig SB Shortwave 0 January 22nd 06 02:01 PM
Radio Bulgaria James Douglas Shortwave 4 December 15th 05 04:01 AM
Anyone know the A05 schedule for Radio Bulgaria? Sanjaya Shortwave 3 March 28th 05 11:14 PM
Radio Varna, Bulgaria Mike Terry Shortwave 0 November 13th 04 05:44 AM
Bulgaria Radio MarkWGPSU Shortwave 3 September 19th 04 09:06 PM