Old May 14th 10, 12:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Whose Country is This?

On May 13, 7:40*am, Drifter wrote:
On 5/13/2010 8:44 AM, Brenda Ann wrote:

*wrote in message
m...
bpnjensen wrote:
On May 12, 5:32 am, * wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:

Yes, but it is clearly also a classical Republic, designed that way
from the ground up by the writers of the Constitution. *The two are
not mutually exclusive.

It must be a strange place to live; the world where a certain word* can
cause people to get all nervous and defensive.

*liberal

THE USA was founded by liberal revolutionaries. *They had no intention
of the Constitution lasting this long. *It was written for farmers, not
imperialist warmongers. *We really need to trash this whole mess and
start over (without the mouth breathers).

Now what makes you say that? *Are you saying they were purposefully
shortsighted? *Clearly, they designed the Constitution to be flexible
at times, and changeable when necessary, but the basic concept and
construct are designed to last.

Bruce

Why are we afraid to put the whole thing on the table again?

Are we that emasculated?
Are we not more learned than a bunch of colonialists?

First, it would take decades to do it, since you would first have to repeal
various sections of the current Constitution, which would take a 2/3
majority in EVERY state (think about the ERA.. if they couldn't get that
through, how will they get much else through?). You can't just say "OK, this
Constitution is toilet paper (though it would seem that the last three
administrations believed such), let's start from scratch."

Second, almost nothing ever gets BETTER by scrapping it and starting over.
Back during the end of the OJ trial, a lot of people wanted to change the
Constitution to allow for less than a unanymous jury verdict to convict
someone of a capital crime. Stuff like that SOUNDS good, until an innocent
person gets caught up in it. Ditto with the attempts to curtail death
sentence appeals to one or two. Think now of the dozens who have been found
to be innocent in the past few years by DNA evidence. *We can't just dig
someone up and say "Oops... sorry about that.. but you WERE found guilty by
a jury of your peers.."

Third, think of the total melee that would ensue in trying to put together
the new Constitution... especially in the current political climate, where
both ends of the political spectrum are eating their young.

Brenda, vary well put. I like your thinking.

- Now, can we please get back to radio?
-
- Drifter...

With close to 150 posts in this off-topic thread
that is not likely soon . . . ~ RHF

Ask Not What Your Country Can Do To You? Editor RadioTalkingPoints Shortwave 6 October 17th 09 06:59 PM
New Country on The Air dxAce Shortwave 4 March 3rd 07 02:23 PM
What country? H Davis Shortwave 2 November 25th 04 11:42 PM
Is this a great country or what? Jim Akins Shortwave 12 November 9th 03 09:26 PM
4W - a new country ? Rick Murphy Dx 3 August 20th 03 05:59 PM