Old May 2nd 10, 05:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Tiny Tenna any good?

Anybody here use the tiny-tenna?

Is it any good?
Old May 2nd 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I bought a Tiny Tenna years ago.It didn't work for me.I paid $10.00 for
it.I don't know what the price is nowadays.
cuhulin

Old May 2nd 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 1 May 2010 21:18:36 -0700 (PDT), Arky Bob
wrote:

Anybody here use the tiny-tenna?

Is it any good?

Looks like a transistor and two resistors. 25 bucks!!! Plus shipping??
Build one of these. At least it has adjustable gain:
http://www.allspectrum.com/store/pro...oducts_id=1607

Jim
Old May 2nd 10, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have considered before tying a fish hook on my non working/it didn't
work at all when it got here, Tiny Tenna and see if it will catch any
fishes.

Spencer Tracy crankin the handle on that Hurdy Gurdy and singing,
Don't cryyyy little fishie,,,, don't cryyyyy,,,, don't
cryyyyyyy,,,,,,,,, ~ Captains Courageous movie.
cuhulin

Old May 2nd 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

Anybody here use the tiny-tenna?

Is it any good?

Overpriced, underdesigned. Prone to overload. Fails in very high
signal situations.

A random wire will do better on most receivers. Even a short
random wire.

Does it do what's claimed? It does amplify the signal, and feed
the front end of your receiver. Does it boost the signal over noise
floor? No. It raises the noise floor with the signal. A well
designed passive will less so.

Spend your money on something better engineered. For your $25 you
can buy/build a lot better.

Old May 2nd 10, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

* *wrote:

Anybody here use the tiny-tenna?

Is it any good?

* *Overpriced, underdesigned. Prone to overload. Fails in very high
signal situations.

* *A random wire will do better on most receivers. Even a short
random wire.

* *Does it do what's claimed? It does amplify the signal, and feed
the front end of your receiver. Does it boost the signal over noise
floor? No. It raises the noise floor with the signal. A well
designed passive will less so.

* *Spend your money on something better engineered. For your $25 you
can buy/build a lot better.

I have that little Radio Shack active antenna / preselector / preamp
combo thingie they discontinued awhile back, and it ain't too bad.
Runs a good loog while on a 9v battery. Built-in antenna or outboard,
your choice. Usually can be had on EBay for $20 or so - If you get it
and it's not your cuppa, you can turn it around pretty easily.

Bruce
Old May 3rd 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I think Ramsey Electronics sells some decent antennas, some other
thingys too.Send them an email for a free snail mail catalog.
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com
cuhulin

Old May 3rd 10, 09:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

* *wrote:

[...]

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

Heck yes Bruce, I got two of them. I was a newbie or just learning my
way around when I bought them. They definitely work well but because
of my lack of RF out here, it's just not needed. But they definitely
do what they say and are alot cleaner than the tinyt. Like Peter said
about the noise floor and all - I agree. I would imagine the Rat Shack
active may do well if I drove out farther to BooFoo....then I'm sure
it would help.
Old May 3rd 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 2, 12:18*am, Arky Bob wrote:
Anybody here use the tiny-tenna?

Is it any good?

You're better off with the Big-Tenna.
Old May 3rd 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

How laughable.

Who buys into the whole "active antenna" thing? Some of my best SWLing has
been with a 5 or 6 foot hunk of wire laying on the floor.

Put your effort into a getting a good alignment. That will do you far better
than these red herring gadgets that are just like a shiny lure to a sucker.

When you amplify, you amplify EVERYTHING...noise, distortion and often these
gadgets inject products into the mixer that screw up your IF tracking,
reducing the inherent performance of your receiver.

Quit looking for a "magic pill" and get back to basics: 1. Good alignment.
2. Wire antenna in unobstructed free space.

That's all you need.